Petero Civoniceva in action

That's the thing though. It's not like we were really picked apart to a huge extent because of that Premiership by other clubs. We simply made some awful recruitment calls, let the wrong people go, and then underestimated the Coach that bought us our success and let him walk out the door too, which then meant we botched the retention of guys like Hunt, and the rest is history.

Considering the money we outlaid on recruits in the following years, it's hardly as though we couldn't afford to retain most of the talent we had probably with money to spare.

Yeah but then the Broncs wouldn't have got the great deal that was say a Clinton and Sims for Civoniceva. I mean, it isn't hard to see who won that deal...just ask Bruno. Then, the Broncs kept compounding good decision after good decision when they signed Inglis don't forget by the guy who replaced Bennett just being decent enough to rock up and say hello. I'm sure it went something like that, I mean what could have gone wrong? Those Cullen years were phenomenal for the club.

Yeah but then the Broncs wouldn't have got the great deal that was say a Clinton and Sims for Civoniceva. I mean, it isn't hard to see who won that deal...just ask Bruno. Then, the Broncs kept compounding good decision after good decision when they signed Inglis don't forget by the guy who replaced Bennett just being decent enough to rock up and say hello. I'm sure it went something like that, I mean what could have gone wrong? Those Cullen years were phenomenal for the club.
Without knowing how to dig up the stats myself, I'd be keen to see just how close Petero came to making as many metres and tackles on his own that year relative to those two blokes combined.

It was disgraceful. Even non Broncos fans thought it was disgraceful, and that's saying something. If it's possible for a football club to lose it's 'soul' then surely that was the time it really happened for us.

Last edited:
To this day the way Petero was treated disgusts me, unlike Lewis, Miles etc where you can make the argument they needed to be moved on at their age with the money they are on to keep the up and comers Petero was still well in his prime and had definitely earned his big pay day that he was promised. Clinton's signing from the start troubled me, he was going nowhere with the Panthers at the time and he wasn't signed on peanuts either. Petero was one of the last remaining experienced frontrowers we had in our pack to build around and we let him go way too easily and paid the price for it.

It was pretty sad when Nick Kenny was considered by many to be the most consistent of the frontrowers in your present day pack, one thing you can't deny about Kenny, His attitude to how he trained and played lifted him higher then what his abilities as a player were. Then you see Dave Taylor with all the talent in the world, but a pissweak work ethic and attitude to boot, no wonder Bennett was frustrated with him.

I'm glad Petero got to return, but he never should have had to leave in the first place.

Petero posted this on Facebook earlier today haha, what a legend!

Unread

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.