Pets... dogs rule!

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
They mostly get ticks on their face, front paws, head and chest area. From running into grass / bush etc chasing shit...

My little guy does a few trips with me to Stanthorpe every year and a couple of trips to Sunshine Coast hinterland, both of which are riddled.

Nexgard Spectra is the bomb... Found a few ticks on him over the years, all dead... One chewy meaty bite type tablet a month is all they need and works a charm.
Thanks, my 13 year old dog has never had a tick, but he's covered in skin tags now and I keep thinking they're ticks. I've actually only just started using tick treatments this year for him and went with Nexgard, because they're a tasty morsel. The back of the neck stuff made him puke his guts out.

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
My partner and I just adopted a recently race retired greyhound on Friday. For a dog that's never been in a house and never had the opportunity to really be a pet he's doing ridiculously well. I live in a 2 story townhouse and he mastered the stairs in a day (we have 16 steps and the they are quite steep), and naturally knew to go out into the courtyard to use the bathroom. We see a little bit more of his personality every day as he begins to trust us. I think we really lucked out - such a great fella.

Greyhounds are such a misunderstood breed. Most people seem to think they are dangerous or aggressive due to ridiculous muzzle laws, or that they are super active - when the fact is it's the total opposite. They are couch potatoes and can sleep up to 18 hours per day. Our boy is buggered after a quick walk around the block - probably not much more than 1km. He the friendliest thing as well. So affectionate and just leans into you for pats.

The only thing we were warned about is the natural prey drive; being sight hounds their racing training to chase the lure they may try to bolt after things (even plastic bags flying in the wind) - but he's ignored cats, birds and has been very friendly with other dogs. He even had a little toy chihuahua come up and jump on his face while we were walking and he just shrugged it off. For the record - I don't use the muzzle on walks and I only would consider it if I was introducing him to a small fluffy dog (cat) or a real cat, even though he wouldn't need it.

If you're looking for a no fuss dog that doesn't require a lot of exercise then please look into adopting a greyhound. The number of dogs that are destroyed because they aren't fast enough, or they are retired and 'no longer serve a purpose' is staggering. They're beautiful, friendly and loving dogs - and they deserve so much better.

They're great for apartments as well because they don't bark, they don't get that unpleasant doggy smell, they barely shed and they will just lie around and chill most of the time.

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
My partner and I just adopted a recently race retired greyhound on Friday. For a dog that's never been in a house and never had the opportunity to really be a pet he's doing ridiculously well. I live in a 2 story townhouse and he mastered the stairs in a day (we have 16 steps and the they are quite steep), and naturally knew to go out into the courtyard to use the bathroom. We see a little bit more of his personality every day as he begins to trust us. I think we really lucked out - such a great fella.

Greyhounds are such a misunderstood breed. Most people seem to think they are dangerous or aggressive due to ridiculous muzzle laws, or that they are super active - when the fact is it's the total opposite. They are couch potatoes and can sleep up to 18 hours per day. Our boy is buggered after a quick walk around the block - probably not much more than 1km. He the friendliest thing as well. So affectionate and just leans into you for pats.

The only thing we were warned about is the natural prey drive; being sight hounds their racing training to chase the lure they may try to bolt after things (even plastic bags flying in the wind) - but he's ignored cats, birds and has been very friendly with other dogs. He even had a little toy chihuahua come up and jump on his face while we were walking and he just shrugged it off. For the record - I don't use the muzzle on walks and I only would consider it if I was introducing him to a small fluffy dog (cat) or a real cat, even though he wouldn't need it.

If you're looking for a no fuss dog that doesn't require a lot of exercise then please look into adopting a greyhound. The number of dogs that are destroyed because they aren't fast enough, or they are retired and 'no longer serve a purpose' is staggering. They're beautiful, friendly and loving dogs - and they deserve so much better.

They're great for apartments as well because they don't bark, they don't get that unpleasant doggy smell, they barely shed and they will just lie around and chill most of the time.
Plus I'm fairly sure they were the model for the original droids in the Star Wars prequels, top stuff.

When you put a harness on it for a walk, does it start acting like a different dog?

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
Plus I'm fairly sure they were the model for the original droids in the Star Wars prequels, top stuff.

When you put a harness on it for a walk, does it start acting like a different dog?
Not really, no. His collar is always on but as soon as we clip on his lead he has a sudden burst of excitement which quickly disappears about halfway through the walk. I think he just enjoys being walked around and seeing new things.

Attachments

BroncosAlways

NRL Player
Home
Any advice I could find on here would be greatly appreciated.

How have you guys found bringing a new dog home to a household with cat/s? We have an apartment with an alright amount of space but are pretty active so the pup would be getting plenty of outdoor exercise, it's more just the unknown of getting them used to eachother under one roof.

Or does it just come down to the cats temperament? The dogs almost a year old and is already used to cats.
Staffy x Kelpie mix if it helps!

Couldn't be more excited but I just want to be sure that all three will be comfortable!

Horseheadsup

NRL Player
Quite awhile ago, I remember locked the cat up in a safe room and let them smell each other under the door as way of introduction. Fed them on each side as well.

BroncosAlways

NRL Player
Home
I know some people crate their dogs when they go out for the day or for work, which I'm not a fan of. Is limiting the dog to a big room or bedroom for a few hours a day still too small?

Just not sure what could go down when we're both at work that's all. Horseheadsup Horseheadsup yeah mate that's how we introduced the cats, so we may go down that route. But not sure if we've got the room to keep them seperate for too long, unless we were to keep the pup in the bedroom.

Allo

NRL Captain
Mum has found some old photos, thankfully a few of the old girl, which we didn’t think we really had any of.

B2D56E1C-662D-4EB3-A001-0339877F950F.jpeg

Missy was already about a year old when we got her in 97/98 and she made it til the end of 2011.

She was my best and at times only friend growing up and I miss her every day.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
An additional photo was found just before she went:

View attachment 7742

we never realised how old she really was until you see both photos
My dog is nearly 14. He's losing his sight a bit and has some arthritis in his back legs so he's slowed down. I need to pick him up to put him on the bed at night because he can't do it anymore. But he has so much joy, will still manage a 5km walk no worries. Still, it's heartbreaking watching them age before your very eyes.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
It’s always hard to hear a dog in very obvious distress and pain but there is literally nothing you can do, even though I don’t like the little bastards because of their constant yapping.

The neighbours dog, the coughing sound it’s making, I know that sound all too well. It’s the sound you hear when there is fluid in the lungs most likely due to heart failure.

And I saw it earlier today, it had the big bulge around the gut that comes with that and it was very lethargic.

It’s the exact same thing that happened to my dog.

Sounds like it doesn’t have long left. Perhaps another couple of days based on frequency and how bad it is.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
It’s always hard to hear a dog in very obvious distress and pain but there is literally nothing you can do, even though I don’t like the little bastards because of their constant yapping.

The neighbours dog, the coughing sound it’s making, I know that sound all too well. It’s the sound you hear when there is fluid in the lungs most likely due to heart failure.

And I saw it earlier today, it had the big bulge around the gut that comes with that and it was very lethargic.

It’s the exact same thing that happened to my dog.

Sounds like it doesn’t have long left. Perhaps another couple of days based on frequency and how bad it is.
My dog has heart failure too. Hasn't started the coughing yet, but the vet says it's coming. :(

The big question is when do you know when to pull the pin? I figure when the pain outweighs the joy. But how do you know?

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
My dog has heart failure too. Hasn't started the coughing yet, but the vet says it's coming. :(

The big question is when do you know when to pull the pin? I figure when the pain outweighs the joy. But how do you know?
When they are obviously in pain.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Ours had heart failure too. Left side is fluid on the lungs, right side abdomen I think it was. I don't think they're in pain, ours never seemed distressed until the last day.

The cough was pretty nasty, but was explained to us that the large heart is pushing on the throat making the cough.

On the night before, she was coughing more often than usual. We took her to emergency, she had O2 and some drugs and back home to monitor. We took her to our vet at 1 that day, where they upped the meds for that night. By 3.30 it was pretty obvious she wasn't bouncing back, and was going backwards. Her breathing was very shallow, and it was obvious she was no longer comfortable.

While the decision sucked, really really bad. We knew it was time, and we knew we had done everything we could. It really sucks, and it was a really fucking shit day. It's easier knowing that we did it for the dog's well being, and not because of money.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
Ours had heart failure too. Left side is fluid on the lungs, right side abdomen I think it was. I don't think they're in pain, ours never seemed distressed until the last day.

The cough was pretty nasty, but was explained to us that the large heart is pushing on the throat making the cough.

On the night before, she was coughing more often than usual. We took her to emergency, she had O2 and some drugs and back home to monitor. We took her to our vet at 1 that day, where they upped the meds for that night. By 3.30 it was pretty obvious she wasn't bouncing back, and was going backwards. Her breathing was very shallow, and it was obvious she was no longer comfortable.

While the decision sucked, really really bad. We knew it was time, and we knew we had done everything we could. It really sucks, and it was a really fucking shit day. It's easier knowing that we did it for the dog's well being, and not because of money.
Yeah, I'm hoping it's something obvious like this, that he will deteriorate suddenly one day and the vet will let me know.

He's still pretty happy to go on 5k walks and such so I think he's doing pretty well for now. (although he likes to be carried at the halfway point for a small rest lol)

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Yeah, I'm hoping it's something obvious like this, that he will deteriorate suddenly one day and the vet will let me know.

He's still pretty happy to go on 5k walks and such so I think he's doing pretty well for now. (although he likes to be carried at the halfway point for a small rest lol)
We stopped walking ours. But she was really struggling with heat from the start.

I sent you a PM re dog drugs too FYI

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulietaRai

Members online

Twitter