TL;DR: Hang 'em up, Darius

Player ratings: Darius Boyd’s time is up; Haas, Turpin shining lights

Greg Davis,
The Courier-Mail
an hour ago
f the bench.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Darius Boyd's Time Would Be Up If He Played For Any Team But The Broncos.'

Like how everyone is quick to mention other teams injuries and other outs while we've got our own crisis going.

Move Boyd to left centre or drop him, Shibasaki isn't up to grade and has bombed every NRL opportunity he's been given. Put Dearden and SOS in the 6 and 7.

Most of the time all he is doing is turning the ball back inside, and when there was space on the inside he went wide.

Can we rate the coach’s performance?

Anthony Seibold - 2
He was at the stadium but likely not with the team all week, that’s the only way to explain why some position selections keep happening and the attack looked like whatever that was. I’ve defended the guy a lot but that lack of anything that resembles any sort of coaching competence last night is very alarming.

Last edited:
4 is way too generous for Boyd, is that a minus sign in front?

Can we rate the coach’s performance?

Anthony Seibold - 2
He was at the stadium but likely not with the team all week, that’s the only way to explain why some position selections keep happening and the attack looked like whatever that was. I’ve defended the guy a lot but that lack of anything that resembles any sort of coaching competence last night is very alarming.
He doesn't seem to be paying any attention to attacking structure. I died a bit when I saw Macca break for the line with only Flegler in support and duff what should've been a certain try. Poor bastard didn't know what to do with the football. They've clearly never practiced the most basic one-on-one moves.

Boyd still being in the team is his legacy this season. Judge him on that alone.

He doesn't seem to be paying any attention to attacking structure. I died a bit when I saw Macca break for the line with only Flegler in support and duff what should've been a certain try. Poor bastard didn't know what to do with the football. They've clearly never practiced the most basic one-on-one moves.

Boyd still being in the team is his legacy this season. Judge him on that alone.

I’ll go against the grain here, I thought Macca was really good and has been pretty good for the last month, he is clearly working hard and making it harder and harder to drop him and honestly, isn’t that what you want players to do?

I’d still have Turps at 9 in a heartbeat but I think given there are no halves available, I’d play Macca at 6 or 7 without hesitation.

5.5 for Shibasaki wtf

3.5 is fair.

I’ve defended the guy a lot but that lack of anything that resembles any sort of coaching competence last night is very alarming.

Yeah his presser after the game last night was also a little concerning, he seemed pretty happy with the performance and result, even going as far to say we deserved to win.

If he honestly was happy with that then we are farkin in a lot more trouble than we think.

I’ll go against the grain here, I thought Macca was really good and has been pretty good for the last month, he is clearly working hard and making it harder and harder to drop him and honestly, isn’t that what you want players to do?

I’d still have Turps at 9 in a heartbeat but I think given there are no halves available, I’d play Macca at 6 or 7 without hesitation.

Yeah Macca has been far better or the two (he and Boyd).

I would have to disagree with the ratings for barnacle boyd and shiba-sucky, they were much worse.

How can boyd get a 4 for 13 touches and 1-2 metres (this varies amongst stat collectors)?

For the (very few people) who have argued that "hey cronk didnt touch the ball much in the GF" to defend boyd, simple fact is cronk was directing the side. Boyd provided no direction. I cannot understand how a 300+ game player (whether he is a halve or not) cannot implement a game plan. But he is stuck in the team, like a friggin barnacle.

No wonder we have played "bennett-ball" for the past several years, our team doesnt have the cognitive capacity to do anything else.

I agree: Macca almost looked like an NRL standard hooker last night. He even ran the ball a couple of times and made breaks. But he didn't compare favourably with Granville, and that's not a high benchmark. Watch how long it takes him to get the ball from the ground to the first receiver and the momentum he provides compared to any opposition hooker. Other dummy halves propel the ball in one movement. Macca needs to juggle it a bit.

that tends to happen when all your halves are injured

Macca was also friggen double pumping some of his passes for absolutely no reason, it causes the forward running onto the ball to prop, stop and then get hounded by the defense flat footed.

Am I the only one who thought that you could argue Shiba got a smack across the chops in the stripping motion that could have been deemed high?

It looked like a high shot to me too.

Yeah his presser after the game last night was also a little concerning, he seemed pretty happy with the performance and result, even going as far to say we deserved to win.

Yep, saying that we deserved the win because our defence was better didn't make sense to me. No team deserves to win if they struggle to cross the line like we do, no matter how solid their defence. We were one forward pass call away from losing the match.

That we are managing wins at all though without Bird, Gillett, Dearden & O'Sullivan and with Boyd seemingly busted and our usual problems with Macca gives me hope that this team can come good with time and with some tough decisions being made.

that tends to happen when all your halves are injured
That sounds reasonable except it's not the reality. If we had no injuries, the only difference would be Turps would be on the bench, Segy would be dropped, and Bird in for Shiba. Boyd would still be 5/8th. Macca would be hooker. So the big change would be dropping Turps for Dearden. Yet Turpin was the only of the halves that threatened the line. He was the matchwinner.

Elsewhere, I don't think we missed Gillett and Glenn last night, do you?
[automerge]1565306359[/automerge]
That we are managing wins at all though without Bird, Gillett, Dearden & O'Sullivan and with Boyd seemingly busted and our usual problems with Macca gives me hope that this team can come good with time and with some tough decisions being made.
Yep, but those tough decisions to drop Boyd and Macca seem like a Sunday too far away.

Last edited:
I think Isaako had his best game of the season despite the Cows dastardly plan to heavily soak the field. There were more dropped balls than a grade 12 school boys outing to canberra's red light district. His fend on Gela -mosby left a huge flat spot on his face, his catching of bombs looked self assured ( apart from one Comms mix up with Milf) his carry backs looked far more convincing and he was rarely pushed back in fact he made one huge run towards the end when we were struggling for metres.

His double pump to Milf for the try showed good patience so all in all I thought he has shown he is getting over the tragic news of his old man and getting back to somewhere near to last year. Hopefully that means he will continue to improve.

Finally, going back to the Cows heavily doctor in the field I think the NRL should fine them for bringing the game into disrepute and causing that eyesore of a drop-a-thon that we were all forced to endure. They thought it would slow our big pack right down but all t did was make the ball as slippery as hell. Having said that, it does not fully excuse Shiba's inept performance at catching and securing a pass. FMD my eyes are still bleeding from last night.

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.