Players off contract at the end of 2013 and 2014 - who would you like to see signed?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
have a look through these names and pick out the players you wouldn't mind seeing at the Broncos or tear me apart for my choices.

2013: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-league/players/off-contract-2013/
2014: Players Off Contract 2014 | NRL | Zero Tackle

The players I would consider:

end of 2013 -
slim pickings at this point.

Trent Hodkinson [Bulldogs] - although he has reportedly agreed to resign with the Dogs.
David Williams [Manly] - is a decent winger and should be cheap as cap issues are forcing him out.
Jamie Lyon [Manly] - He is pretty much certain to resign at this point but I would be happy to throw money at him to make him come up north. Would be a great centre opposite Hodgo and is capable of filling a play maker role.
Maurice Blair [storm] - decent back who has played games at five-eighth.
Kevin Locke [Warriors] - We desperately need a new fullback and he has the x factor in attack that we lack.
Cheyse Blair [Eels] - Surprised he felt the brunt of Ricky's clean out. He has been one of their more promising youngsters.
Willie Tonga [Eels] - Old and injury prone, terrible form at the eels but he is an Origin level player when at his best.
Travis Robinson [panthers] - If he shares any of the ability his twin brother possesses then he will be better than most our current backs.
Josh Dugan [Dragons] - If we don't get Barba or Locke, I'd happily take a the bump to our pride and sign Doogs before the dragons retain him.

end of 2014 -

Edrick Lee [Raiders] - A giant with great speed. The raiders would be stupid to lose him.
Reece Robinson [Raiders] - A gun back.
Josh Morris [Bulldogs] - 3rd best centre in the game.
Andrew Fifita [Sharks] - obvious reasons.
Matt Srama [titans] - one of the best young hookers in the game.
Kevin Gordon [titans] - Fast as fark.
Cam Smith [storm] - Its Cam Smith.
Shaun Johnson [Warriors] - because if we are going to be a losing team, I'd at least like to be entertained.
Jarrod Mullen [knights] - because he isn't Peter Wallace.
Josh Mansour [panthers] - I rate him as a back.
Tatuo Moga [roosters] - bring him back to QLD.
Marika Koroibete [tigers] - Lote Tuqiri clone. (reportedly just resigned with tigers, so is probably off the table)

Last edited:
Re: Players off contract at the end of 2013 and 2014 - who would you like to see sign

SJ, Edrick Lee and Locke.

Pretty sure Lyon re-signed, he's off the market.

Re: Players off contract at the end of 2013 and 2014 - who would you like to see sign

I'll happily take Locke for 2014, then we chase Johnson and any outside backs with speed as hard as we can in 2015.

And I know many will disagree but I would STILL get Dugan for next year, in fact I still wish we signed him this year but there's a big divide on that issue.

Some people are saying Dugan already re-signed with the Dragons but I don't recall this, AFAIK he's ready to be signed next year and I would definitely take him. He's one of the best fullbacks in the game.

Koroibete is also worth a look in, a gun player IMO.

I can understand the Broncos not wanting to take the risk but they should have just let the dragons beat them to it instead of making a moral statement to the public that they are too good for a kid who misuses social media. They could have let the Dragons take all the risk and if he seemed to be under control then they could have had another shot at him with less risk. After half a season of great footy this year, no one will be thinking about his twitter account. Instead they told the world he wasn't good enough for them and now we can't pursue him with out looking desperate and embarrassing ourselves.

Also, why haven't we been in any talks with Izzy Falou? I'd love him to return to our club and play full back. I'm not bitter at all towards kids who change codes for big money. I'd take Hunt back in a second as well.

Last edited:

That list right there is the reason why I would be willing to sign Tomkins for 1mil. Some people say it's wrong to overspend, but if you look at that list, you see exactly why we should. Only Locke looks okay from those off-contract this year and whilst I would love Cam Smith and SJ let's be honest, they are a fantasy, not a reality. There is nobody else on that list that really fills our spine requirements, although both Lee and Koroibete would be nice additions to our backline.

There is basically nobody off-contract we will sign that is worth big money, yet still we continue not to spend ours.

By start of 2015
1.barba
2.lee, korobiete, williams
3. Hoffman, lee
4. Hodges
5. Yow yeh
6. Prince, hunt
7. Mullen
8. Hannant
9. Smith
10. McGuire
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Tasi
15. Dodds
16. Glenn
17. Stagg

18. Hala
19. J wallace

Havent looked at the links but from the posted list i'd hope we have a look at Matt Srama and Josh Mansour, both have a good celings in terms of improvement.

A few players i would flat out say no to like Maurice Blair, Cheyse Blair (watch more parra games and you wont be surprised he was part of the cleanout, a cool name does not make a good player lol), Tonga (we already have one injury prone pensioner in the centres), Travis Robinson (he is not as good as his twin) also Morris, Fifita and Mullen just wouldnt sit right with me in Bronco jumpers.

Havent looked at the links but from the posted list i'd hope we have a look at Matt Srama and Josh Mansour, both have a good celings in terms of improvement.

A few players i would flat out say no to like Maurice Blair, Cheyse Blair (watch more parra games and you wont be surprised he was part of the cleanout, a cool name does not make a good player lol), Tonga (we already have one injury prone pensioner in the centres), Travis Robinson (he is not as good as his twin) also Morris, Fifita and Mullen just wouldnt sit right with me in Bronco jumpers.

I'll happily take your word on it as far as Cheyse and Travis are concerned. I've barely seen Travis play and I avoid Eels games like the plague.

If we still don'tsee any improvement from Macca next year, and if Griffin still doesn't give Baptiste or Granville any game time or they don't show any signs of being long term hookers, then I'd go hard after Srama. Him and Friend will likely be battling out for the best hooker in the game once Smith retires.

I'd definitely go after Locke if we don't get Barba. But at the same time I don't want them to sit there twiddling their thumbs waiting for Barba to make up his mind. Locke would add an unselfish ball playing game that Norman doesn't provide and speed that no one else seems to provide at the club either.

I thought Locke committed to the Warriors 3 or 4 weeks ago

Said it before and I'll say it again, throw cash at Edrick Lee, kid is gonna be something special.

I'd take Fifita too, mongrel + size + youth.

Last edited:

Word is Storm is close to signing Travis Robinson, as they consider him a gun utility back. I wonder if the broncos even considered it.

We should never sign young guys with potential as Griffin has yet to develop a single player in first grade yet. Not one single player has improved under Griffin and that's disturbing.

We should never sign young guys with potential as Griffin has yet to develop a single player in first grade yet. Not one single player has improved under Griffin and that's disturbing.

Glenn and McGuire definitely improved. Though I dunno how much it has to do with Hook as opposed to just experience.

Glenn and McGuire definitely improved. Though I dunno how much it has to do with Hook as opposed to just experience.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not defending hook or having a go at you Alec, it's just this kind of comment from fans makes me laugh.

Player doesn't improve - hooks fault
Player improves - nothing to do with hook

Lol

Wow SJ has had a great game for the Warriors tonight, its amazing what a bit of speed and good kicking game in the halves can add.

The thing is both Glenn and McGuire had the potential, just not the experience. Maybe having Hook instead of Henjak helped, or maybe they just improved because they've been in FG longer. Like I said, I dunno what actually happened.

I'm not attacking Hook or defending Henjak, I don't rate either.

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • Broncosgirl
  • Astro
  • Aldo
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Pablo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • cento
  • ell.d33
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Wild Horse
  • Behold
  • BooKhaki
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • Allo
  • Fitzy
  • achievedrap
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.