Policing...

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
Instead of clogging up the main threads, I thought maybe a specific one might be a better option for this stuff?

So got a police question? Ask away...

I’ve been in the job in Qld for 21 years now, and have worked all around the state in uniform and plain clothes.

I won’t comment on specifics of particular cases, generalities only, even for the jobs I am personally across, and obviously am restricted in venturing my opinion about my employer, but have a Qld Policing question?

Here’s your one stop shop.

Caveat: all my answers (if any) will be Qld specific, I’m not particularly interested in the profession as a whole (I HATE cop shows...) and know about as much as the next bloke about other jurisdictions, but I’ll answer as best I can about any topic policing, justice or the corrective system based in Qld.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Why are so many police officers, performing regular duty, like traffic cops, such fucking assholes for no reason? You could deadset admit offence, bake the **** a pie, give him a hug and say everything will be alright, and heaps of the shit bags are still just outright, condescending, fucking assholes. Why?

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Around
Why are so many police officers, performing regular duty, like traffic cops, such fucking assholes for no reason? You could deadset admit offence, bake the **** a pie, give him a hug and say everything will be alright, and heaps of the shit bags are still just outright, condescending, fucking assholes. Why?
I can't say I agree with this. My experience with the police has always been polite - whether just saying G'day on the street, or the bugger has got me doing 120km/h on the highway.

There's bad eggs in every profession, but if I had to guess why I'd say it's because they deal with the absolute scum of the earth and it probably just gets old really quickly.

One of my best mates works for QPS and he absolutely hated being a traffic or 'regular duty' cop and got out of it as quickly as he was allowed to. It didn't help that he was stationed in Logan/Beenleigh for most of it though.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I can't say I agree with this. My experience with the police has always been polite - whether just saying G'day on the street, or the bugger has got me doing 120km/h on the highway.

There's bad eggs in every profession, but if I had to guess why I'd say it's because they deal with the absolute scum of the earth and it probably just gets old really quickly.

One of my best mates works for QPS and he absolutely hated being a traffic or 'regular duty' cop and got out of it as quickly as he was allowed to. It didn't help that he was stationed in Logan/Beenleigh for most of it though.
I have had many interactions with awesome cops too. I think I could probably put it down to traffic cops. I've had a couple of nice ones, but mostly they are absolute cunts.

Drug squad detectives were the nicest I ever encountered... One morning.

Tom

State of Origin Captain
I remember one of the cops on these boards telling me I'm not actually obligated to answer any questions during a traffic stop. How far does this right actually go? I assume I have to provide ID if asked. Also have had my vehicle searched over half a dozen times during traffic stops with no actual reason given for the search, can I refuse these invasions of privacy?

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Around
I remember one of the cops on these boards telling me I'm not actually obligated to answer any questions during a traffic stop. How far does this right actually go? I assume I have to provide ID if asked. Also have had my vehicle searched over half a dozen times during traffic stops with no actual reason given for the search, can I refuse these invasions of privacy?
This is a good question - and one I'd like answered as well.

I've always wondered how far you can take it without being arrested etc.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
You can always refuse, and I'd always recommend you do. You can't stop them from searching your car but you can absolutely not give consent and the distinction is important. I'm pretty sure you cannot refuse to give ID legally if in a motor vehicle but you don't have to answer a single question.

That being said, I've always been super friendly with cops and I've always been let off really. I've only really had 2 fines in my life over like 13 years of driving and one was a shit **** traffic cop hiding in a bush near the train station who pinged me for being like 8 over. Honestly, I could have lost my licence at least twice but I was let off with a caution and last year I could have been done for like 2 different demerit offences in the one go but I also got let off with a caution. I even got pulled over once like 10 years ago by a traffic cop who found 3 different defects (and they weren't nit picks either) and he let me off with a $60 no point fine.

I would take a bet most cops when they pull people over get the "wtf did I do" attitudes and will then write a ticket out because the person is annoying.

I find being friendly with cops works better but if there's any potential criminal matter I wouldn't say anything other than my name at that point. Ultimately as soon as it's a criminal matter the cop's job is to land a prosecution and my job is to let a lawyer defend me, but I don't plan to put that theory to use in my lifetime.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
I've generally had good experiences with the police until I actually needed them. Worst example was riding to work one day some lady driving an X5 decided changing lanes was beneath her and struck me with her wing mirror while passing, then took off at speed. The cop behind the desk at the police station could not have given less of a ****, to the point of trying to tell me it actually wasn't an offence to hit a cyclist and flee the scene because I hadn't been hospitalised. Not exactly the type of thing that fills you with confidence.

Tom

State of Origin Captain
Yeah I had a dickhead bouncer at a nightclub(remember club Gecko at Garden City anyone?) confiscate my ID off me because he said it wasn't me. Went straight to the cops about it who simply told me they wouldn't be doing anything about it because it wasn't a big deal. I didn't want the guy arrested or anything, I just wanted my license back.

Last edited:

animal eater

QCup Player
When doing a roadside drug test for cannabis, how do police know or decifer whether someone smoked a bowl the night before as opposed to say today? In one case they are intoxicated and in one case, not intoxicated? BTW, asking for a friend.

Last edited:

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun
I've generally had good experiences with cops, including the traffic ones, albeit a few of them (all experts with a radar gun), were total arseholes.
I am very much into questioning authority and rules, and won't just abide by any law (within reason of course, I'm not into anarchy either).
I've got a couple of questions, some of which I am sure you can't or won't answer...

- Do traffic cops have a periodic quota they must fill? They deny this until they're blue in the face, yet their actions continuously prove otherwise. (Funny how the amount of cops on the road always strongly increases at the start and end of the month)

- I probably know and understand the reason behind this, but why isn't there a recourse avenue for traffic fines that doesn't involve an appearance in court? I've had good and bad stops over the years, and would have liked to be able to refute those without having to step into court.
Yes, I know it would increase many fold the administrative work and thus severely affect the bottom line of this revenue cash cow, but the current method reeks of authority abuse, as it is aimed at making it too hard for people to object.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
When doing a roadside drug test for cannabis, how do police know or decifer whether someone smoked a bowl the night before as opposed to say today? In one case they are intoxicated and in one case, not intoxicated? BTW, asking for a friend.
I got done next morning. The copper didn't give two hints of a **** that it had been over 8 hours since my last cone and a sleep there too. Back to the station, clearly not stoned some more, and I passed. He was fucking pissed off.

He was so confident I would fail that he'd written everything out awaiting my signature, then scoffed at the fact I said "You said you'd drive me back to my car if I passed".

The young cop seemed to take great pleasure in telling the old **** that I had passed as he flung my results into the bin.

Edit: Where I mention the drug cops above, is very much sitting on my record for life so the fuckheads can harass me, nearly 15 years later. I passed RBT, he saw the drug raid (no charge conviction or anything) and decided, better do a drug test too. Fuckhead.

Last edited:

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich

That too is my experience with the police. I generally find they are a lonely lot. Cops tend to have way fewer regular friends. I've known quite a few over the years. I've even partied pretty hard with a couple but regular people can't help but feel uncomfortable with an off duty cop in a lot of social situations. From what I've observed a lot of cops have cop friends. I accept I could be wrong and it's 'just a theory'.

To be honest I admire the police and I think it would be a hell of a tough job with quite a few drawbacks. I'd also say it might be extremely rewarding at times. One thing I'd struggle with though is the fucking deadset mean and nasty scumbags some people are towards ANY kind of authority and especially the police, the only thing standing between order and chaos.

On being arseholes: I was a BCC busdriver for a decade and it wore me down. A job brimming with stress. I was often asked why city busdrivers were perceived as being rude/ignorant/unfriendly. I generally replied that 'do you think Council actively sort that type of person when interviewing and then said excellent, you're perfect'? No, the job makes them that way and I think the police are little different. That and the narcissistic side of the power position that comes with the turf.

animal eater

QCup Player
I got done next morning. The copper didn't give two hints of a **** that it had been over 8 hours since my last cone and a sleep there too. Back to the station, clearly not stoned some more, and I passed. He was fucking pissed off.

He was so confident I would fail that he'd written everything out awaiting my signature, then scoffed at the fact I said "You said you'd drive me back to my car if I passed".

The young cop seemed to take great pleasure in telling the old **** that I had passed as he flung my results into the bin.

Edit: Where I mention the drug cops above, is very much sitting on my record for life so the fuckheads can harass me, nearly 15 years later. I passed RBT, he saw the drug raid (no charge conviction or anything) and decided, better do a drug test too. Fuckhead.
So let me get this right, you were tested for booze but when they saw a previous incident, they then tested for drugs? I do not think that folks should drive under the influence btw but I also believe that it should be decriminalized and that alcohol is a far worse drug than cannabis, but that's just me.

Last edited:

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
That too is my experience with the police. I generally find they are a lonely lot. Cops tend to have way fewer regular friends. I've known quite a few over the years. I've even partied pretty hard with a couple but regular people can't help but feel uncomfortable with an off duty cop in a lot of social situations. From what I've observed a lot of cops have cop friends. I accept I could be wrong and it's 'just a theory'.

To be honest I admire the police and I think it would be a hell of a tough job with quite a few drawbacks. I'd also say it might be extremely rewarding at times. One thing I'd struggle with though is the fucking deadset mean and nasty scumbags some people are towards ANY kind of authority and especially the police, the only thing standing between order and chaos.

On being arseholes: I was a BCC busdriver for a decade and it wore me down. A job brimming with stress. I was often asked why city busdrivers were perceived as being rude/ignorant/unfriendly. I generally replied that 'do you think Council actively sort that type of person when interviewing and then said excellent, you're perfect'? No, the job makes them that way and I think the police are little different. That and the narcissistic side of the power position that comes with the turf.
Sort? Sought?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
So let me get this right, you were tested for booze but when they saw a previous incident, they then tested for drugs? I do not think that folks should drive under the influence btw but I also believe that it should be decriminalized and that alcohol is a far worse drug than cannabis, but that's just me.
That's correct. I was told to leave, then told to stop by the next guy before I pulled out.

I wouldn't drive if I believed I was affected by my weed. And that means waiting at least 8-10 hours before I drive.

I'm all for weed to be legal. Everyone, absolutely everyone, should try it once.

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
Sort? Sought?
Absolutely correct! I got that one wrong. Thankyou, I should know better. I'll put it down to age and the fact I seldom use the word. In fact I can't remember ever writing it down in a sentence. Everyday is a school day👌

Harry Sack

State of Origin Captain
Missed out on a parking space this morning because there was a speed camera set up at one of the parking meters. Bastards. No question here btw, just a statement.

Have yet to come across a real wanker cop fortunately.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BroncoSteve

Twitter