Policing...

Tom

State of Origin Captain
I remembered last night I have a question for this thread.

Back when I was 19 I was a passenger in a car where the driver did something incredibly stupid. We were eventually allowed to drive off after being questioned, having the car searched, and each of the passengers being patted down. At the very end of the patdown the copper grabbed me gently yet noticably on my junk, I was not expecting it and was rather surprised.I've had my pockets and whatnot searched before but this is the only time I have been patted down. Are they supposed to take you in for a stripsearch rather than just grab your junk on the roadside if they have suspicions?

Also is it a myth that a copper working undercover has to tell you they are if you ask them?

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba

Back when I was 19 I was a passenger in a car where the driver did something incredibly stupid. We were eventually allowed to drive off after being questioned, having the car searched, and each of the passengers being patted down. At the very end of the patdown the copper grabbed me gently yet noticably on my junk, I was not expecting it and was rather surprised.I've had my pockets and whatnot searched before but this is the only time I have been patted down. Are they supposed to take you in for a stripsearch rather than just grab your junk on the roadside if they have suspicions?

Also is it a myth that a copper working undercover has to tell you they are if you ask them?
They at least asked me to look down my pants. I had no issue, nothing to hide ;)

Reactions: Tom

Jason Simmons

NRL Player

Being frisked searched (or patted down) is not strip-searched. Strip
- searched is literally that. All your clothing will be removed (though not all at the same time) should police do that. If such a search is performed, then yes, it will be a in a place that respects your privacy, such as a police station, watch-house, medical facility etc and performed by an officer of the same gender.

Yes, it’s a myth, there is no requirement at law for an ‘undercover’ officer or indeed any officer to tell you they are a police officer, just because you ask them. But the whole ‘under cover’ thing is misunderstood.

There are police who perform duties in plain clothes (some are appointed Detectives, as I once was) and some are just directed to perform duties in plain clothes. They will identify themselves as police if they want to talk to you, produce badges (gold coloured if they are appointed Detectives nowadays) and ID cards, and now often mostly wear accoutrements openly, though it was frowned upon ‘in my day’ and it still sits uncomfortably with me.

There is nothing ‘undercover’ about a guy (or gal) in a tucked in polo shirt, jeans/chinos and a pair of RM Williams boots, openly wearing police accoutrements...

Then there are some police who are covert who you will never know are police, until they are giving evidence at your trial, usually because you did something extremely foolish in their presence. 😊

Last edited:

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
Nothing inhibiting their view either though... :kimlo:
It is easily the worst part of the job, IMHO. I cannot imagine anyone enjoying having to check other men’s ‘nether regions’ and ‘nature’s handbag’ for the things these cretins, conceal inside...🤢

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
I've seen the Village People, I know some are loving that part of the job.
Not the dirty, disgusting, smell, druggie types that are the ones that are typically searched...

That rancid, chemical / amphetamine smell, that oozes out of them? Gawd, I don’t know why I didn’t quit years ago... 😂

I don’t care how good the Super is, or how little is expected of us, for what they pay us...

Last edited:

Tom

State of Origin Captain
Not the dirty, disgusting, smell, druggie types that are the ones that are typically searched...

That rancid, chemical / amphetamine smell, that oozes out of them? Gawd, I don’t know why I didn’t quit years ago... 😂

I don’t care how good the Super is, or how little is expected of us, for what they pay us...
But the guy who grabbed my junk, is that allowed?

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
But the guy who grabbed my junk, is that allowed?
If you're a junkie, and you don't have time to stash something up Main Street, tucking it down the front of your pants would be a pretty common thing. There's only one way search for that.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
If you're a junkie, and you don't have time to stash something up Main Street, tucking it down the front of your pants would be a pretty common thing. There's only one way search for that.
What if you’re not a junkie and just an 18yo kid? There’s even younger cases at music festivals.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
What if you’re not a junkie and just an 18yo kid? There’s even younger cases at music festivals.
NSW is pretty fucked up for it at the moment. Undersage girls being stripped without a guardian just because a dog sat down.

Tom

State of Origin Captain
If you're a junkie then you probably aren't possessing enough for a copper to find it by copping a feel on the outside of your pants. This guy was looking for something else like a weapon.

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun
If a non Australian resident is driving your car and you get a speeding fine from a camera, can you still use the Stat Dec to nominate the actual driver?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BroncoSteve

Twitter