THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
@Manofoneway good to have others on this forum still backing our team and coach. Appreciate your love and defence of our guys (especially againt some of the random hate - some people will never be happy).

We laughed at the people in this thread last year, and I am guessing we will be laughing at them again soon.

Kevvie's our man.

Kevin Walters Broncos GIF by BrisbaneBroncos
Agreed - Lets just remember one of the biggest nay-sayers of the Kevolution also called for TPJ to be our captain. His name remarkably rhymes with C@nt.

Agree and even with gus and Ciraldo they didnt improve year on year for three years. 2022 - 12th. 2023 15th.

At the same time - Broncos - 2022 - 9th, 2023 - 2nd and a GF...

Our wooden spoons were one year apart. (ours 2020 and dogs 2021). Its incredible what has happened in such a short time. It has not been replicated by any team in recent memory and certainly not by the dogs this year.

It's too early to say just yet, but if they make the GF this year then they have replicated what the Broncos did - spoon to GF in 3 years.

The important question is, has there been significant improvement during Kev's tenure. Let's compare average stats from season-to-date 2024 with 2022 as the nucleus of the squad is the same, but Kev's had an extra 2 years to work with them and they're 2 years more experienced (I've underlined the better stats out of the 2 seasons):

Points for21.4223.6
Points against22.9223.5
F/A-1.50.1
Win/Loss Ratio1.21.8
Penalties Against5.64.8
Errors1112.5
Missed Tackles3634.2
Handling Errors9.110.9
Support Runs49.445.5
Possession48%47%
Set Completion79%76%
Run Metres1,5981,629
Ineffective Tackles19.616.4
Offloads8.56.5
Average Tries3.74

I'm seeing some improvement there but also some regression. I'd have hoped that things would have improved more in 2 years, but that's just me.

Good on you for backing Kev and the team to the hilt, more power to you. But there will be some - myself included - who aren't satisfied with results (and/or the manner in which we have played and won or lost) this year and want the club to do better. Maybe this year was an outlier and Kev can get that from the squad - we'll find out next year.

Maybe he can't, in which case the writing will be on the wall and I suspect how the team plays and the results achieved next year will make or break his Bronco head coaching career.

It's too early to say just yet, but if they make the GF this year then they have replicated what the Broncos did - spoon to GF in 3 years.

The important question is, has there been significant improvement during Kev's tenure. Let's compare average stats from season-to-date 2024 with 2022 as the nucleus of the squad is the same, but Kev's had an extra 2 years to work with them and they're 2 years more experienced (I've underlined the better stats out of the 2 seasons):

Points for21.4223.6
Points against22.9223.5
F/A-1.50.1
Win/Loss Ratio1.21.8
Penalties Against5.64.8
Errors1112.5
Missed Tackles3634.2
Handling Errors9.110.9
Support Runs49.445.5
Possession48%47%
Set Completion79%76%
Run Metres1,5981,629
Offloads8.56.5
Average Tries3.74

I'm seeing some improvement there but also some regression. I'd have hoped that things would have improved more in 2 years, but that's just me.

Good on you for backing Kev and the team to the hilt, more power to you. But there will be some - myself included - who aren't satisfied with results (and/or the manner in which we have played and won or lost) this year and want the club to do better. Maybe this year was an outlier and Kev can get that from the squad - we'll find out next year.

Maybe he can't, in which case the writing will be on the wall and I suspect how the team plays and the results achieved next year will make or break his Bronco head coaching career.

My man brought the receipts, daym.

Agreed - Lets just remember one of the biggest nay-sayers of the Kevolution also called for TPJ to be our captain. His name remarkably rhymes with C@nt.
Awesome trolling. You know I called for Kevvie to be coach.

You must be bored.

Awesome trolling. You know I called for Kevvie to be coach.

You must be bored.
Yes, you might also say calling for TPJ to be the captain is like Kevys 2024 season - you both got it wrong! Its okay Mchunt, I forgive you! see how easy that is :)

Points for21.4223.6
Points against22.9223.5
F/A-1.50.1
Win/Loss Ratio1.21.8
Penalties Against5.64.8
Errors1112.5
Missed Tackles3634.2
Handling Errors9.110.9
Support Runs49.445.5
Possession48%47%
Set Completion79%76%
Run Metres1,5981,629
Offloads8.56.5
Average Tries3.74

Agree with most of this and to be honest, its correct - 2022 and 2024 are not too dis similar but you have not accounted for the improvement in 2023. If your data is correct there is no reason the same cant be achieved in 2025 and all the more reason that Kevy should not be sacked.

The roster we had won the spoon mate. You cant get any worse than that! Our roster was mismanaged? We got Adam Reynolds, Kurt Capewell... Would you consider them mismanaged signings? Seriously Wolfie just be a fan mate, its okay. Get behind the coach who took us to a GF and give him some slack, it was less than 12 months ago.

Ciraldo didnt double his wins in his first year and Kevy did. Thats all im saying. The dogs employed Gould the year before Ciraldo got there so the roster rebuild was one year in advance. This is Ciraldos equivalent to 2023 for the Broncos. We finished 2nd that year and made the GF. Agree not exactly 100% but close enough - (more than ciraldo's 0%).

Regardless, A team with Niu, Isaako, Milford, TPJ didnt make the finals in 2020 with Siebold coaching them. Well they didnt make the finals in 2024 with Bennet coaching them. What does that tell you?

You know, just because you win the spoon doesnt mean you dont have the talent, it can mean you are simply poorly coached. We were poorly coached under Seibold and underachieved in the extreme. We never had a spoon side with the talent we had, we just had an incompetent coach who the players just didnt gel with and get his coaching.

As for your second point, i truly dont know what you are trying to get at. For a start, you cant double your wins in one year, has to be over a 2 year period. Ciraldo had 7 wins in his first year. 14 this year minumum. He has clearly doubled his wins in 2 years, i dont know what logic you are using to try to justify he hasnt. Kevvie won 7 games in his first year. 13 in his second year. So unless maths where i live is different from maths on whatever planet you are on, Ciraldo has improved the dogs from a points standing better in 2 years than Kevvie did at Brisbane. He has also improved their position on the ladder better as well. Those are just plain, simple, undebatable facts. Trying to use Gould to back up your argument is a bit weak. All clubs are planning for the future before the next coach comes in. Every team has a recruitment setup, some are just better than others.

And yep, our roster when Kevvie got here was a mess. He helped get it straight again. Nobody i think argues that he didnt. But now its in a bit of a state again, isnt that on Kevvie as well, or is it only the good Kevvie gets backed for?

You also seem weirdly obsessed with bringing Bennett and the Dolphins into every argument about Kevvie. Trying to compare us to the Dolphins is absolutley comical. Anyone with any rugby league brains wouldnt be expecting the Dolphins to make the finals this year or last year, it would just be a bonus if they did. We are expected to be top 8 minimum every year.

Yes, you might also say calling for TPJ to be the captain is like Kevys 2024 season - you both got it wrong! Its okay Mchunt, I forgive you! see how easy that is :)
I never called for TPJ to be captain. I said he might even be a captain candidate had a decent coach got into his wiring. At the time, we were struggling to find ANYONE to captain the side.

Points for21.4223.6
Points against22.9223.5
F/A-1.50.1
Win/Loss Ratio1.21.8
Penalties Against5.64.8
Errors1112.5
Missed Tackles3634.2
Handling Errors9.110.9
Support Runs49.445.5
Possession48%47%
Set Completion79%76%
Run Metres1,5981,629
Offloads8.56.5
Average Tries3.74

As i've said before, any criticism seems to be taken as a personal attack on Walters by some and they cant handle it, when in reality, pretty much every coach would be under the same scrutiny if we played in the manner we have this year. We have had one outstanding season under Kevvie. One monumental collapse under Kevvie and 2 solid if unspectacular years under Kevvie. I dont think that assessment is unfair and its pretty realistic. I've said all along, finish the year doing ok and i think you keep Walters for next year. I think we played fairly well against the Cowboys, we were pretty poor against an even poorer side in Parra. We need to perform well regardless of the result in the next two games imo. If we cant step up when our season is on the line, i dont know where we go.

Either way, I still think Kevvie will be here next year, and he simply has to deliver.

As i've said before, any criticism seems to be taken as a personal attack on Walters by some and they cant handle it, when in reality, pretty much every coach would be under the same scrutiny if we played in the manner we have this year. We have had one outstanding season under Kevvie. One monumental collapse under Kevvie and 2 solid if unspectacular years under Kevvie. I dont think that assessment is unfair and its pretty realistic. I've said all along, finish the year doing ok and i think you keep Walters for next year. I think we played fairly well against the Cowboys, we were pretty poor against an even poorer side in Parra. We need to perform well regardless of the result in the next two games imo. If we cant step up when our season is on the line, i dont know where we go.

Either way, I still think Kevvie will be here next year, and he simply has to deliver.
I've said it 3 times. Criticism is criticism - calling for the coach to be axed is different.

I think 100% kevy could have done better but I agree with you when you say, he should be given until origin next year to right the ship.

I've said it 3 times. Criticism is criticism - calling for the coach to be axed is different.

I think 100% kevy could have done better but I agree with you when you say, he should be given until origin next year to right the ship.

When you play as bad as we have, the coach gets put under pressure to perform. Thats just a cold, hard truth in team sports. While we havent won anything in a long time, we are still one of the biggest sporting organisations in Australia. Underachieving to the extent we have simply shouldnt be acceptable. Accepting mediocrity ( which is exactly what we have been this year, mediocre, and thats being generous ) isnt the right standards for a club who puts itself at the top of the tree.

You know, just because you win the spoon doesnt mean you dont have the talent, it can mean you are simply poorly coached. We were poorly coached under Seibold and underachieved in the extreme. We never had a spoon side with the talent we had, we just had an incompetent coach who the players just didnt gel with and get his coaching.

As for your second point, i truly dont know what you are trying to get at. For a start, you cant double your wins in one year, has to be over a 2 year period. Ciraldo had 7 wins in his first year. 14 this year minumum. He has clearly doubled his wins in 2 years, i dont know what logic you are using to try to justify he hasnt. Kevvie won 7 games in his first year. 13 in his second year. So unless maths where i live is different from maths on whatever planet you are on, Ciraldo has improved the dogs from a points standing better in 2 years than Kevvie did at Brisbane. He has also improved their position on the ladder better as well. Those are just plain, simple, undebatable facts. Trying to use Gould to back up your argument is a bit weak. All clubs are planning for the future before the next coach comes in. Every team has a recruitment setup, some are just better than others.

And yep, our roster when Kevvie got here was a mess. He helped get it straight again. Nobody i think argues that he didnt. But now its in a bit of a state again, isnt that on Kevvie as well, or is it only the good Kevvie gets backed for?

You also seem weirdly obsessed with bringing Bennett and the Dolphins into every argument about Kevvie. Trying to compare us to the Dolphins is absolutley comical. Anyone with any rugby league brains wouldnt be expecting the Dolphins to make the finals this year or last year, it would just be a bonus if they did. We are expected to be top 8 minimum every year.
The year before Ciraldo got there the Dogs finished 12th. He had a full preseason and steered them to a 15th place finish in 2023 and did not improve the win %! They literally got worse than Trent Barretts team of 2022.

Kevy got us after we won the spoon and we improved to 14th but DOUBLED the wins.

Regardless of who the coach was the previous year, the team improved which is the key metric when looking at the performance of a team that has had a new coach come in. Kevy improved us every year which is my point - Bar this year which is why he deserves a chance to right the ship

When you play as bad as we have, the coach gets put under pressure to perform. Thats just a cold, hard truth in team sports. While we havent won anything in a long time, we are still one of the biggest sporting organisations in Australia. Underachieving to the extent we have simply shouldnt be acceptable. Accepting mediocrity ( which is exactly what we have been this year, mediocre, and thats being generous ) isnt the right standards for a club who puts itself at the top of the tree.
Agree with all of this, under pressure, criticism etc - doesnt mean SACKED. that is the extreme.

The year before Ciraldo got there the Dogs finished 12th. He had a full preseason and steered them to a 15th place finish in 2023 and did not improve the win %! They literally got worse than Trent Barretts team of 2022.

Kevy got us after we won the spoon and we improved to 14th but DOUBLED the wins.

Regardless of who the coach was the previous year, the team improved which is the key metric when looking at the performance of a team that has had a new coach come in. Kevy improved us every year which is my point - Bar this year which is why he deserves a chance to right the ship

Hang on hang on, so now you are moving the goal posts. You never said a thing about Kevvie improving on Seibold, or Ciraldo improving on Barrett.

Ciraldo didnt double his wins in his first year and Kevy did. Thats all im saying.

Its right there. That clearly says they improved on HIS first year, which was 2023 for Ciraldo, 2021 for Kevvie, and as i said, you cant double your wins in one year, has to be a 2 year period. Now you want to go back a year to when both Ciraldo and Kevvie werent even at their respective clubs. At least keep some consistency in your argument, don't move the goals posts when you get proved wrong.

Hang on hang on, so now you are moving the goal posts. You never said a thing about Kevvie improving on Seibold, or Ciraldo improving on Barrett.

Its right there. That clearly says they improved on HIS first year, which was 2023 for Ciraldo, 2021 for Kevvie, and as i said, you cant double your wins in one year, has to be a 2 year period. Now you want to go back a year to when both Ciraldo and Kevvie werent even at their respective clubs. At least keep some consistency in your argument, don't move the goals posts when you get proved wrong.
Not moving the goal posts. My point the 2020 season we finished last. 2021 (Kevy started preseason 2020) we finished 14th with double the wins of the previous year.

2022 - Dogs finished 12th with Barrett as coach. In 2023 (Ciraldo started preseason 2021) they finished 15th.

My point is Kevy improved the Broncos side by doubling the wins year on year (almost) from when the last coach left the building.

Not moving the goal posts. My point the 2020 season we finished last. 2021 (Kevy started preseason 2020) we finished 14th with double the wins.

2022 - Dogs finished 12th with Barrett as coach. In 2023 (Ciraldo started preseason 2021) they finished 15th.

My point is Kevy improved the Broncos side by doubling the wins year on year (almost) from when the last coach left the building.

I'll end it here with this nonsense, but you clearly said HIS referring to Kevvie doubling his points tally. Clearly moving the goal posts when its been proved he didnt. You obviously should have said he doubled Seibold/Gentle's points tally. That would have been accurate. Now you are going back to a previous coach because you got it wrong.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Harry Sack
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • upthebroncs
  • Browny
  • Lostboy
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Big Del
  • teampjta
  • BroncoFan94
  • Robboi_321
  • Culhwch
  • eggstar10
  • Cavalo
  • Aldo
  • Griffo
  • Waynesaurus
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.