Ponting

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Well Ricky has stood down as captain of test and one dayers BUT will stay in the team

Browny said:
Well Ricky has stood down as captain of test and one dayers BUT will stay in the team

Wants to do a Tendulkar. He reinvigorated his career when he relinquished the captaincy. Think he was younger than Ricky when he did though.

Tendulkar was always a reluctant, by default leader.

Ponting just sucked in so many aspects of captainship.

About bloody time is my thought on the issue.

m1c said:
Tendulkar was always a reluctant, by default leader.

Ponting just sucked in so many aspects of captainship.

About bloody time is my thought on the issue.

Agreed.

Interestingly, I reckon if Tendulkar had inherited the team Ponting did, he'd have had similar success.

It's no surprise that once Ponting lost McGrath, Warne, Hayden and Gilchrist that his tactical ineptitude presented itself.

I've always always been a Punter fan, so this news is disappointing, though expected.

Not really looking forward to Michael Clarke being the Australian captain TBH. Although he is old, I'd much rather see it given to Katich.

Skip clarke and give it to Steve smith

Clarke, like Kim Hughes, will just keep the seat warm until Smith or Paine establish themselves and are ready.

I'm more than happy to give Clarke a solid tilt. Watson isn't captaincy material at all.

Clarke was finally given the chance through an extended stint as skipper to to stamp his own ideologies on the team. It is the best cricket I have seen the Australian team play in years and the contrasting decline in performance throughout the WC IMO highlighted Ponting's stifling tactical dosility which will be the unfortunate legacy of his reign. I really feel for Ponting and think he deserves to be remembered better than this. His legacy has in my eyes been tarnished. He has gone from the undesputed champion batsman of his generation (averaging a tick under 60) to a debatable omission from my top 5.

Whether or not Clarke is liked by his team mates is IMO negligable whilst they continue to perform as they did at the back end of the summer. It indicates - at the very least - obvious respect for him as a leader. What really excited me was his was his ability to nuture and develop the spinners, a crucial component for Australian cricket to progress forward. Case in point: Steve Smith who after taking giant steps went to poo under Ponting in the WC.

Agree, but want to see how he goes at Test level. His short form captaincy is great.

Yep, fair point. It is a form of the game where he hasn't had much hands on experience as a leader. The real test will come post Bangers.

I hope Punter goes well but I think he needs to move down the order with Khawaja at 3. Ponting at 6 would be great but the only problem with that would be Hussey at 5, they are both 37.

Clarke will give the young kids a much greater chance of developing under his captaincy IMO. I am a fan so I wish him well but if he isn't up to it I do wonder who is the other option?.

Coxy said:
Browny said:

Wants to do a Tendulkar. He reinvigorated his career when he relinquished the captaincy. Think he was younger than Ricky when he did though.

Only by about 15 years :shock:

I hope Ricky stays for a while and gets back to being the dominating batsman he has been throughout his career.

So he is a legend why bag him when he is down

Most of you are like the media

langer77 said:

Nah. The media kick someone when they're down, and then blow wind up their arse when they do something good.

We kick someone when they're down and it takes a long time before they earn respect again.

Ponting's had 1 good innings in a year. He better fucking turn things around or selectors should take his retirement out of his hands.

langer77 said:

Lol, we have bagged him all summer. I hope he finds form because he will only be holding back khawaja now

Active Now

• Fozz
  • upthebroncs
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Mr Fourex
  • teampjta
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.