VOTE Potential 18th team?

Should the NRL expand to 18 teams? if so, who should it be?

• Total voters
There were like 2 riots last week here in POM. I don't see a "marquee" NRL signing living in the more "affluent" areas either. Love my country but we got 3rd world issues every 2nd day. Move it to Perth. It's the most obvious option
As the Dolphins showed, "marquee" signings are overrated. Just make a team from local talent.

As the Dolphins showed, "marquee" signings are overrated. Just make a team from local talent.

Because they finished comfortably in the bottom 8, this proves 'marquee' signings don't work?

Because they finished comfortably in the bottom 8, this proves 'marquee' signings don't work?
Just that it's overrated. How'd all those marquee signings for the Titans work out... still finished below the Dolphins.

Just that it's overrated. How'd all those marquee signings for the Titans work out... still finished below the Dolphins.

Which marquee signings? The ones they already had in Tino and Fifita?

Like I don't disagree with the sentiment of your post but it has to be the 'right' marquee signing to be effective. Signing a second rower as a marquee signing does nothing. But signing a spine player + prop can certainly help a lot.

PNG would be an absolutely terrible idea both for players and also financially. You would be relying on government money to prop them up and lets be honest, when the country is in dire financial states, culling excess spending on a sports club is always favorable to voters. Plus, no marquee player in their right mind would want to even go near that club. ****, the dolphins had trouble getting a marquee player and they are based at Redcliffe.
I thought I read a while back that if the PNG team was added that there was a chance that they could be based up near Cairns?

I don't think you need to look at marquee signings. The country is already league mad. Assumedly they would focus on homegrown players to stick with, rather than going abroad. Yeah, you're still going to have some homegrown players that will want to move clubs/try a different environment, but I would assume the ultimate aim (like any club really) would be to develop from within. Local heroes instead of imported ones. Could argue having it having a big impact internationally too - if 3/4's of the PNG team played under one side, you'd assume they would improve their chemistry if nothing else.

There would surely be a few pastings involved in this approach, but if we're in it for the long haul I don't know if that really matters. Cows were shit for 10 years and they could recruit "marquee" players. Didn't dampen their support for their club or the sport.

Even if 3/4 of the PNG side played together week in week out (which they basically do in the Q Cup), they would be smashed week in week out by the NRL sides.
I agree, I said there would be pastings at the start. But this is not a "png to nrl premiers in 5 years" scenario. It's a long term approach.

Active Now

• mitch222
  • Broncorob
  • FACTHUNT
  • Financeguy
  • Xzei
  • thenry
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
  • lynx000
  • Footy Fanatic
  • broncoscope
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • RolledOates
  • theshed
  • Skathen
  • mrslong
  • BroncosAlways
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.