VOTE Potential 18th team?

Should the NRL expand to 18 teams? if so, who should it be?

• Total voters
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
There is an article by Dean Ritchie published by the Courier Mail talking about the Perth Reds continuing their fight to be re-admitted to the competition.

so it got me thinking ... while the 17th team hasn't even played their first game yet, IMO, it won't be too long before the NRL add an 18th team in order to get the extra game and more money from the broadcasters.

so the question then becomes who should the competition have 18 teams? and who should get the 18th licence?

Here is information from the Dean Ritchie article that inspired this thread. I was concerned by the bit in red, I'm not sure the NRL have any interest of moving away from the East Coast of Australia and NZ despite their name including the word "national"

WA bid boss, Laurie Puddy, the inaugural Reds chairman, has met ARLC chairman Peter V’landys about Perth becoming the NRL’s 18th franchise.

Laurie Puddy on why Perth?

“The only thing that has changed since the Western Reds is the desire from the NRL to say: ‘Let’s do Perth again’. I can’t understand why the hierarchy doesn’t see it,” he said. “It would make it a national competition and the two-hour time change makes sense for broadcasters.

“Souths go over there on a regular basis. Manly, Canterbury. They know the crowds they can pull – 20,000-plus. They get 5000 to 10,000 more people at Perth than they would do at a home game.

“Back in 1995, the population of WA was about 1.3 million. The population of Perth today is nearly three million.

“We had 24,000 people at our first game (in 1995) and averaged around 15,400 thereafter, and that was playing at the WACA, which is a cricket ground.

“I have business contacts and colleagues sitting in Perth waiting for something to happen. All they say is: “Laurie, when is it going to happen?’ Support for the game isn’t in question. Why wouldn’t Perth be a success? We have done it before.

“Some experts are talking about playing in places like PNG. That’s offensive.

“If we couldn’t get 20,000 a game then I’m a bad judge. Back in 1994-95, we were inundated with support from sponsors.

“I have had a meeting with Peter (V’landys). There was nothing to come of it, although we agreed to meet again. That hasn’t transpired yet with Covid and, of course, he has had his hands full. I respect that.

“What we have to do first is get in front of Peter again and Andrew (Abdo, NRL CEO) and have a serious discussion about Western Australia.”

Laurie Puddy on admission date?

“It would take us two years,” he said. “It took us two years last time and it would take us two years again. You’d want (entry) in 2024.

“I would drive it (the bid) but you might find there are other people in Perth who would want to have a crack too. The answer is we need to get a team into Perth.

“I’ve talked to the WA Government and they would open their arms to us and help in any way to get us back and get us a ground. They would talk to us about how we could develop our own high performance centre.

“I was at the (2018) State of Origin in Perth, there were 60,000 people there. And you know the thing that amazed me?

“The amount of people walking into the ground wearing Western Reds gear. It was amazing. That should tell the hierarchy that there is a demand for rugby league at that level in Perth.

“Why would you want to change (the Reds name)? Why come up with another name when the people in Perth still relate to the Reds?”

Pressed on whether a club could be ready and accepted by 2024, Puddy said: “Absolutely, absolutely.”

Laurie Puddy on past history?

“We have to clear up some misconceptions – the Western Reds didn’t fail,” Puddy said. “People have been quick to say the Reds failed. The Reds were caught up in a war between News Ltd and the ARL. We need to clear up the history.

“Some of the critics are of the belief that Perth failed. They didn’t fail at all.

“We had to pay not only for our teams to travel, feed them and accommodation, but we also had to pay for the teams coming to Perth. We flew all the teams in – paid for everything — and we still didn’t go broke.

“We had a viable business. The first year we were one game out of the eight.

“We built a team in two years and brought them in from everywhere – England, New Zealand, Europe. It wasn’t a five-minute exercise.

“We were happy with the way it was going and it was going to be a success story. John Ribot was in control of the Storm at that stage and he took about five or six of our best players to Melbourne. We were doing very well until the war came along.”

Laurie Puddy on AFL Tidal wave when told league would struggle for fans and sponsorship dollars?

“That’s rubbish,” he said. “The fans follow their AFL sides but when you look at the population in Perth, and see where they come from, there is a desire for rugby league — and we have to give it to them.

“Why do we have success when we go and play State of Origin in Perth? Or Souths games? They don’t take the fans with them. They happen to be there.

“As I said to Peter V’landys, in 1995-96, we had the third-biggest selling merchandise in the whole bloody competition.

“It (junior participation) isn’t as good as it could be. We had development officers going around to all the schools and we could do that again. In fact, it’s already been suggested we should start that again next year. The colleges still play rugby union in Perth.

“I really can’t see too much of a downside.”

Mark Geyer says:

“I’m biased but it’s a no-brainer,” Geyer said. “If you want it to be a truly National Rugby League then we have to be national.

“We can’t just be up the eastern seaboard. Now is the time to strike. Let’s delve into this. I think it would be mega if they did it, it would be awesome.

“They’ve got (businessman) ‘Twiggy’ Forrest over there. He loves his sport. They need a code over there other than AFL. I have had thousands of messages from people from Perth saying: ‘C’mon, think about us’.

“The difference in time is good as well for television, that’s a big tick so let’s go to Perth. It’s time to go back, it’s the Reds baby, let’s go. I dare say if Super League didn’t come along then we’d still be there.”

NRL Response from Andrew Abdo

“In the long-term, if there was further expansion, the ARLC would consider all options – from Western Australia to New Zealand and the Pacific,” Abdo said. “There are so many opportunities. Why would you want to exclude anywhere?

“We’ve also indicated to both the Firehawks and the Jets that the ARLC remains open to reconsidering their bids in the future.

“Our focus for now is making sure we have a successful move to 17 teams in 2023, across all aspects, football, commercial and participation. The consideration of a move to 18 teams would be a strategic long-term one for the ARLC in the future.

“Right now our priority is ensuring the successful expansion of the NRLW to six teams and the NRL to 17 teams.”

24 teams.

but yes there's clearly enough for 18 teams, would go Perth next.

Perth is the obvious or another NZ team to create some rivalry... NSWRL will probably try to fund the Ipswich bid though.

my personal opinion is that as per usual the NRL haven't thought through expansion properly.

The AFL only have two teams in QLD and they already have direct rivals in the Broncos and Titans. now, if they were really concerned about the AFL's threat in QLD, then they would have been better off spending more resources aimed at schools and grassroots footy. if you wanted to combat this so called threat with a new franchise, then the wrong team was admitted as the Brisbane Lions are expanding into the western corridor not the northern ... which means the Jets should have won the licence.

The AFL threat was over-exaggerated as a reason to get a new team into Brisbane to compete with the Broncos not the AFL.

and while they concentrate on this fictitious AFL threat in QLD ... they have given the AFL a free reign of Western Australia.

FTR I have nothing against the Dolphins, they do deserve a licence, just not before Perth got theirs since Perth was the greater need to the comp and sport as a whole.

Yes. Perth. Fuckheads for not having it done already.
The prime time to do it was when the union team folded... I think they were getting decent crowds to those game so bringing league in could've built off that.

The issue now is that happened years ago and the popularity of the force might be waning (or are they back in as a domestic comp now? I dont watch union anymore)... so any built up fanbase you did have might be deteriorating.

Perth is probably the best next option and I think a second Brisbane team was wise, especially one as well established as the Dolphins. A fabricated 2nd Brisbane team would’ve been a disaster but you couldn’t ask for a better bid than The Dolphins given their wealth, history, and player pathways plus the backing of Wayne Bennett.

Whatever the next club is, it needs to have a real local grass roots program and not be another Storm. Titans are finally getting it right with their affiliates and I think league and the titans will be stronger for it. I really have no idea what the local league comps are like in Perth but to have a real identity they will need to produce local talent fairly quickly and sustainably. I think a second New Zealand team is a great idea when you consider the amount of talent there, the slow death of union, and the amount of young players moving away from their families to play league in Australia.

Ive heard that because the tv deals are in place until 2028 that no new team will be able to enter until the next deals? No idea how true this is but a 17 team comp for the next 6 years sounds painful thanks to all the byes it requires.

They've botched expansion, no surprise there but Perth should be coming in for '23 as well.
It's too late for them to get organised for '23 now and the key piece for them would've been getting Bennett on board as a foundation coach to build up the football department.

NSWRL should consider giving someone like Shane Richardson a role to specifically build up a football program in Perth and start planning for an introduction by 2030

Are they in the NSW or Qld cup??

If not get them in there and start building some sort of identity in the region.

Just chucking a team in there now will fold

Ive heard that because the tv deals are in place to 2028 that no new team will be able to enter until the next deals? No idea how true this is but a 17 team comp for the next 6 years sounds painful thanks to all the byes it requires.

If the NRL were smart (sorry i forgot who i'm talking about here) ... they would add a clause in the TV rights deals that gives them additional income should another team be added to the comp.

If the NRL were smart (sorry i forgot who i'm talking about here) ... they would add a clause in the TV rights deals that gives them additional income should another team be added to the comp.
That’s what I would’ve assumed too.

It's too late for them to get organised for '23 now and the key piece for them would've been getting Bennett on board as a foundation coach to build up the football department.

NSWRL should consider giving someone like Shane Richardson a role to specifically build up a football program in Perth and start planning for an introduction by 2030

Are they in the NSW or Qld cup??

If not get them in there and start building some sort of identity in the region.

Just chucking a team in there now will fold

I believe WA have an SG ball team in NSW called the West Coast Pirates

my personal opinion is that as per usual the NRL haven't thought through expansion properly.

The AFL only have two teams in QLD and they already have direct rivals in the Broncos and Titans. now, if they were really concerned about the AFL's threat in QLD, then they would have been better off spending more resources aimed at schools and grassroots footy. if you wanted to combat this so called threat with a new franchise, then the wrong team was admitted as the Brisbane Lions are expanding into the western corridor not the northern ... which means the Jets should have won the licence.

The AFL threat was over-exaggerated as a reason to get a new team into Brisbane to compete with the Broncos not the AFL.

and while they concentrate on this fictitious AFL threat in QLD ... they have given the AFL a free reign of Western Australia.

FTR I have nothing against the Dolphins, they do deserve a licence, just not before Perth got theirs since Perth was the greater need to the comp and sport as a whole.

I agree with most of this and certainly agree that the NRL are overstating it.

But, AFL in QLD shouldn't also be understated. Brisbane has shown many times that it will get right behind the Lions. They're certainly a threat if Kevvie and Ikin don't fix Red Hill.

If Perth rocked up at NRL central with a briefcase full of cash and a massive bank account to support themselves in the competition then I have no doubt Mr Vlando would give them the go ahead quick smart.

It's all about dollars, Vlando doesn't want to add another club that needs to suckle at the NRL teat.

If Perth rocked up at NRL central with a briefcase full of cash and a massive bank account to support themselves in the competition then I have no doubt Mr Vlando would give them the go ahead quick smart.

It's all about dollars, Vlando doesn't want to add another club that needs to suckle at the NRL teat.
Fair enough too.

On a related note, if a team goes 10 years without making the finals they should automatically face a reassessment of their license and be open to bids from other locations to take over their spot.

The tigers not playing finals in 10 years despite the salary cap is disgraceful. Perth Tigers even has a nice ring to it.

Unread

Active Now

• Browny
  • Old Mate
  • Wolfie
  • RolledOates
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.