Prince weighs in on next Broncos halfback

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
SCOTT Prince believes Kodi Nikorima needs to be given the chance to prove himself as a starting half for the Broncos.

Following the announcement that Brisbane’s star playmaker Ben Hunt will be heading to the Dragons in 2018, there has been much speculation as to who will replace him at No. 7 in the future.

Nikorima is the most obvious choice within Brisbane’s current roster, but concerns have been raised over his experience and ability to handle the pressure of the job.

Prince was 21 when he was handed the task of becoming a starting Broncos half, which is three years younger than what Nikorima will be next year.

Now the former Brisbane star believes Nikorima deserves the same opportunity.

“I didn’t think I was ready,” he said.

“With players you have to give them the opportunity first to be tested and thrown in the deep end.

“He’s been in the system now for quite some time. He understands what it is to be a Broncos player and understands how to play that role as the halfback.

“You never know when it’s time. It’s a matter of being tested.”

Prince said Hunt was another who had his fair share of doubters when he was promoted to the starting side in 2014 but he managed to prove them wrong.

Broncos CEO Paul White also spoke on the matter while promoting the club’s new community programs partnership with the Queensland Firebirds.

He said Brisbane was a club that prided itself on developing its own talent and, while the Broncos would go to the market, they would not rule out sticking with someone like Nikorima.

“Because it’s relatively early, we’re looking at both options,” he said.

“We’re a development club and we’re always confident that our investments in our programs will be able to develop the majority of talent that fills our roster.

“We’ll look at the market most certainly, but we’re also looking within as well ... we’ll do what’s in the best interest of our club both in the short term and the long term.”

Meanwhile, it is expected Brisbane will announce their new captain within days.

White said the club hope to reveal the skipper before they travelled to England on Thursday for the World Club Series.

Darius Boyd is the frontrunner for the job after he captained the Broncos at the Nines.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...k/news-story/682d2f843ee7f08f36b45d61ae5d64f6

That's right. We will in a way do both.. go to market but also tristing in the investment the club has made to developing a player and looking long term at that player. ie, Taylor

Nikorima may well end up being a good half, who knows, but it's either him or Milford. I can't see them working out as a combo...maybe if we had Smith or last year's Ennis, and they'd play more direct through the middle, but then they'd still need a few years more of development first.

At this stage I really don't know who we should look at for halfback. My first thought was Niko and Milf would be a shocking combination, too similar, not enough direction, no stand out kicker etc, all the stuff people have already mentioned. But I'm not going to write him off. Niko would make a great partner to a Cronk type halfback though, i do think he has potential in the halves. If the club sees him as a serious option for next year then have him playing half in the Qld cup. Lets not hold him back by playing him as a bench utility like Hunt.

There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't at least look at Nikorima to start with before we went to the open market. Once Hunt leaves however, Milford is really going to have to amp it up especially since we are about to pay a truck load for his services. And for those who say it isn't a 5/8s job to direct the traffic, Locky did it, Maloney does it, Thurston has done it so its not like it a rare occurrence. I see no reason why Milf couldn't do it

Active Now

• lynx000
  • lakers133334
  • Financeguy
  • Gaz
  • Behold
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Kev_Guz
  • Sproj
  • MrRobot
  • broncsgoat
  • bert_lifts
  • Mick_Hancock
  • phoenix
  • Purple Pills
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • TimWhatley
  • inwyn
  • Fozz
  • Xzei
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.