Pro Wrestling is Fake.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I just don't get it, I cannot believe anyone watches stuff like this knowing, absolutely knowing that every single ' match ' is predetermined. I get that everyone is entitled to a view, entitled to get pleasure where they find it but what is it about this ' sport ' that gets people involved. Stage managed at every step, makeup wearing guys in lycra pulling faces and threatening to hurt each other but every single person knows that they don't mean a word of it....totally puzzled I am, I want to throw up 30 seconds into any of it.

I remember watching the Attitude Era in the late 90s on free-to-air. The Rock, Mankind, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Undertaker, Kane, Triple H - so much good stuff

Ever since then, I haven't really taken notice of any of it, due to finding out, for lack of a better term, 'the truth'.

I can appreciate all the athleticism and work involved, and I know the over-the-top drama and cheese appeals to some and is part of the charm, but I just don't get how anyone takes it seriously, at least enough to follow it with any serious opinion on it. Maybe I'm just way too cynical

edit: looks like Huge beat me to being the first wet blanket. I hope I was a little less blunt

but I just don't get how anyone takes it seriously, at least enough to follow it with any serious opinion on it. Maybe I'm just way too cynical

I feel like this is a common misconception among those who don't follow the product. Fans of the show are no different to fans of other shows like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead or Law and Order. They know it's fake, what they're interested in are the performances and seeing their favourite performers rewarded. It's one of the few shows where live feedback can change the course of the show and also one of the few shows where there's literally hours of television time every week and if you don't enjoy one promotion there's dozens all around the world that can cater what you're into.

I can't speak on behalf of others, but I knew going in that it was fake. I had my own misconceptions about the product that prevented me from watching it, but then I had somebody else introduce me to it and found it entertaining. Back then, television wasn't what it is these days, and it was one of the more entertaining shows on television. Like a lot of other popular shows, it has it's own community and for a lot of fans who have stuck with it, it's that culture that drives their entertainment.

EDIT: Moved this into it's own thread so people can continue this discussion without clogging up the Pro Wrestling thread.

Last edited:
I get it. Kids love this shit.

What I don't get, is grown men watching it. I get what you're saying @Big Pete, but it is very different. GoT (I've never seen it) has full scale production value, effects, fantastic acting. Wrestling doesn't. I'd hazard to say that it has some of the worst acting on the small screen. Bollywood fight scenes look more convincing.

I'm not comparing the shows here, I'm comparing the fanbases. A lot of those shows like Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead garner some very passionate feedback, dare I say, more passionate than Pro Wrestling and take their shows far more seriously despite the fact they feature things like dragons, wood elves, zombies, giants and all sorts.

And those shows only have what? 10-16 episodes per year to get through? Pro Wrestling is on every single week, breaks language barriers and there's always something to talk about. Yeah the acting, skits and storylines can be trite, most fans look past it to enjoy the live performance, athletic and presentation components of the show.

I'm not comparing the shows here, I'm comparing the fanbases. A lot of those shows like Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead garner some very passionate feedback, dare I say, more passionate than Pro Wrestling and take their shows far more seriously despite the fact they feature things like dragons, wood elves, zombies, giants and all sorts.

And those shows only have what? 10-16 episodes per year to get through? Pro Wrestling is on every single week, breaks language barriers and there's always something to talk about. Yeah the acting, skits and storylines can be trite, most fans look past it to enjoy the live performance, athletic and presentation components of the show.

Like I said, I understand what you are saying, but you can't say that and then say you aren't comparing them. I get the reasons people watch them, but it still doesn't make sense.

Athletic? Injecting yourself then going to the gym till your arms are bursting is pathetic for mine, because then they use that to smack a fake chair over someone's head, or throw a fake punch which looks super real, except his fist is hitting the mat about 3 inches from the guys head. What presentation components? A ring and a bunch of fans in the audience? Or presenting absolutely terrible acting week in week out for what, 20+ years now?

Absolutely everything they fake, can be seen in real life over at UFC. The story lines and hatred there are better too, because they are real. Again, I'm going to point out that I'm also not a fan of UFC, or any fight sports for that matter, but I have watched a bit of wrestling, only to see what all my mates used to rave about, and it's honestly just pure shit IMO. Home and Away has better acting and story lines.

Its no different to watching television shows. Its purely entertainment and everyone realises that its fake. People watch it because the put on a good show for everyone.

I just don't get it, I cannot believe anyone watches stuff like this knowing, absolutely knowing that every single ' match ' is predetermined. I get that everyone is entitled to a view, entitled to get pleasure where they find it but what is it about this ' sport ' that gets people involved. Stage managed at every step, makeup wearing guys in lycra pulling faces and threatening to hurt each other but every single person knows that they don't mean a word of it....totally puzzled I am, I want to throw up 30 seconds into any of it.

**** sake, we agree again.

tumblr_mijc1qkdvg1ql8t12o1_500.gif

Wrestling is predetermined. Kinda like Cronullas premiership win

Haha yeah. With the NRL's relentess need to have drama in its contests and the sporting media banging on about the "theatre" of sport, I was half expecting Cam Smith to run up and steal the trophy.

That way this year's storyline can be about the real champs versus the fake champs.

Back on topic, yes it is fake.

Believe it or not, so is Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, the Walking Dead, Westworld...all of it.

Even "reality" shows like MKR is not real. It's fake.

Not sure why wrestling gets picked on. It no longer hides the fact it is not real. It's there in the name. WWE. The E is for Entertainment.

Haha yeah. With the NRL's relentess need to have drama in its contests and the sporting media banging on about the "theatre" of sport, I was half expecting Cam Smith to run up and steal the trophy.

That way this year's storyline can be about the real champs versus the fake champs.

Back on topic, yes it is fake.

Believe it or not, so is Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, the Walking Dead, Westworld...all of it.

Even "reality" shows like MKR is not real. It's fake.

Not sure why wrestling gets picked on. It no longer hides the fact it is not real. It's there in the name. WWE. The E is for Entertainment.

You're making out like they did that of their own accord. They had no choice.

You're making out like they did that of their own accord. They had no choice.

So what?

Ironically it's still more realistic than most of the shows listed here.

I guess my point is I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea but I just don't get the 'it's not real' reason as a deal breaker.

I don't get the outrage. I mean it obviously isn't real, but who cares if people want to watch that.

It's like going to the movies to see a bond film and walking out in disgust 5 minutes in saying "there is no way he would have made that jump, what a load of shit - you're all being lied to!"

Like I said, I understand what you are saying, but you can't say that and then say you aren't comparing them. I get the reasons people watch them, but it still doesn't make sense.

Athletic? Injecting yourself then going to the gym till your arms are bursting is pathetic for mine, because then they use that to smack a fake chair over someone's head, or throw a fake punch which looks super real, except his fist is hitting the mat about 3 inches from the guys head. What presentation components? A ring and a bunch of fans in the audience? Or presenting absolutely terrible acting week in week out for what, 20+ years now?

Absolutely everything they fake, can be seen in real life over at UFC. The story lines and hatred there are better too, because they are real. Again, I'm going to point out that I'm also not a fan of UFC, or any fight sports for that matter, but I have watched a bit of wrestling, only to see what all my mates used to rave about, and it's honestly just pure shit IMO. Home and Away has better acting and story lines.

Barely any wrestlers these days actually use steroids. There's a lot of blokes under 6 foot and around 200 pounds that are definitely athletic, ex footballers, wrestlers, MMA fighters, crossfitters etc. I love watching people tell wrestlers that it's fake and then back down as soon as the wrestlers get a little angry that you're mocking their lifelong passion.

Also you know they actually make contact with their punches and landing in the ring actually hurts and everything right? With the punches they do it without a fully clenched fist and the rings are pretty fucking solid, especially when you're getting slammed into it.

I've been a huge MMA fan for about the same time I've been a wrestling fan. They're completely different things. It's just another form of entertainment that people enjoy, like heavy metal music, skateboarding or rugby league.

It's theatre, that's why people like it. It's not at its zenith like it was in the early 2000's, but it's entertainment. Like going to a play or watching a movie. You probably know how the play goes and how the movie ends, but you watch it anyway because it's entertaining.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp, I haven't watched wrestling for nearly 14 years and it doesn't interest me personally anymore but I understand why people like it.

Without getting into a multi-quote post, Pro Wrestling is it's own kettle of fish. It isn't a 'show' it's a 'genre' and there's various Pro Wrestling promotions around the world that are easy to follow and provides fans with plenty of variety and things to talk about. Comparing Pro Wrestling to Game of Thrones is uneven, you're better off comparing Pro Wrestling to the Fantasy genre and I'm sure we've all been dragged to our fair share of crummy fantasy shows. But on Game of Thrones, they have the benefit of being an hour long and running 10-16 episodes a year and it's done. Half the episodes aren't even that good but it doesn't stop others from talking about it and good on 'em.

As for MMA, it's not one or the other, especially given that MMA started off as Pro Wrestling where half the fights were fixed and the other were legit shoots. That's why you see a ton of cross-over between the two forms of entertainment and even recently you had the two biggest companies in UFC and WWE cross-promote each other's PPVs. MMA is seen as it's own style, which is why it's usually covered alongside Pro Wrestling. The UFC has been quality in recent years and the likes of Ronda and Connor have really boosted it's profile but it doesn't supersede wrestling.

Like Nashy, I'm not into any fighting sports, and I've found wrestling appalling from its inception, where the fake nature of the show was apparent from the start.
The worst part is that they used to call it a sport, which is of course a fallacy, as the core concept of sport is fair competition.

I have no issues with people enjoying it, and there is certainly a huge market for it.
I do respect the amount of work all the competitors put in, but I can't understand what is entertaining about fake fights between big bad actors. But then again, I also can't understand how or why grown men enjoy Pokemon either... so the problem could be entirely mine!

The origins of Pro Wrestling are certainly shady but by the time a lot of us were watching it, it had switched over to pure entertainment. Most wrestling fans barely know of guys like Gene Hackenschmidt or Jim Londos, for most they can only think back to Hulk Hogan and that era where it was clearly presented as entertainment.

And for a lot of fans, it isn't what happens between bell to bell, although there's an art-form to it that's intriguing and one of the interesting aspects as a long term fan is to watch guys grow and become better at influencing the audience. But yea, a lot of fans just enjoy listening to the podcasts where you hear all these great stories from all these wacky individuals who get involved.

And since we're on a side-tangent, it may surprise you to know that the Pokemon games are extremely well made games and often draw positive reviews from critics.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • Harry Sack
  • Jazza
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Rookie Alan
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Browny
  • NSW stables
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.