Pro Wrestling

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Cult3, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Captain

Didn't realize there were so many wrestling fans on here. How into it are you guys? A lot of fans only watch WWE which is fine because they give like 8 hours of it a week. Then there's fans like me who follow what's happening in the US indy circuit, British wrestling, Japan and even local stuff when I can.

I use other forums to talk wrestling but I've found the Internet Wrestling Community to be very biased towards their chosen style/company. So I guess we can post pictures, gifs, spoilers, videos, news, history or anything wrestling related in here.

[​IMG]

Tags:
  2. Foordy

Foordy

i'm just WWE myself, I don't watch any of the indy circuit.

in fact the only thing stopping me getting the WWE network again is the fact that RAW and Smackdown don't get shown until 30 days after the event

3. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

Only watched the attitude era, but was fully into it at that stage. Bought the PPV's, bought the PS games, looked forward to RAW every Monday because you knew something was going to happen. A magical time.

You guys probably already know about EWR/promo wars/other wrestling sims online?

Cult3 likes this.
  4. Cult3

What do you guys think of Broken Matt Hardy? I honestly couldn't get into it. I don't hate it or anything but I feel as though he started it all as a joke to see how stupid he could act and people ate it up. I was never a massive Hardy Boyz fan but I did enjoy a lot of their stuff.

Now they've left TNA and are at Ring of Honor which will give them an opportunity to show off their wrestling abilities before what I think will be a return to the WWE. I'm hoping Jeff gets put on Raw and Matt goes to Smackdown with a toned down Broken gimmick. No way will WWE make the mistake of making the whole show about him. Also Reby can **** off.

5. Cult3

I still play EWR pretty regularly. I can only ever book a few months ahead and then I start again.

6. Foordy

Foordy

what is EWR?

7. Cult3

Extreme Warfare Revenge, it's a text simulator game where you can book what happens for any wrestling company you want. It has some really in depth stats so if you book shit matches and promos your company loses money and you get fired. There's a small community of players who have kept the game up to date as well.

8. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

a game where you manage a promotion, you book the cards, can set up tag teams/stables, set up feuds and how it all plays out.
    sign wrestlers/release wrestlers, create/delete titles, and so on.

basically you run a wrestling promotion and everything that falls into that. it's really fun, but i find you can only play it in small doses and then you need a break because it's so micro-managed, you can't defer anything to anyone.

9. Foordy

Foordy

hmmm .... might have to check it out

10. Cult3

Peyton Royce is my favourite. She's an Aussie too.
    [​IMG]

11. mitch222

mitch222 State of Origin Rep

[​IMG]
    My favourite wrestler at the moment closely followed second by AJ Syles

Cult3 likes this.
  12. mitch222

The Hardy Boyz are **** weirdos
    I don't think they will be back in wwe unless they cut out their drug habits

13. Cult3

The drug habit actually explains the whole broken gimmick.

14. mitch222

Still, they refuse to give it up especially Jeff. Ever since Vince got reamed in the senate enquiry, they have been really strict with their wellness program. One of the main reasons RVD isn't there these days

15. Cult3

RVD was just weed though, a lot of weed. Jeff has had issues with pain killers and I imagine other drugs so if he's still into it, it would be a terrible look for Vince. Is there an article anywhere or anything about Jeff's current habits?

16. mitch222

Ok
    Anyone really pissed off they gave the title to Goldberg so he can hand it to lesnar at wrestlemania?
    Owens didn't deserve to drop it that way and Goldberg is a part time wrestler at best with lesnar

17. Holy **** shit.

I used to do this back in the day, never remembered what it was called and could never find anything like it again.

Thanks!!

Cult3 likes this.
  18. I can't help but appreciate the Broken Matt character. For all intents and purposes, Matt's career was over and the only thing he had left going for him was that he was self-aware and knew how to push buttons. The Broken Matt character gave him a new lease on life and when you consider the core elements of Pro Wrestling, I find it hard to dislike. For a guy in the twilight of his career to re-invent himself and replace jumping from high places into getting over a persona is so impressive to me and I feel his latest run with TNA was really really good.

I also think he was lucky to get out of TNA when he did. They had clearly run out of ideas for the character and the World Tour angle was just a way to give him something to do while they scrambled to put more teams together. Once they stopped paying Manson to do their theme, Decay became irrelevant and the DCC maybe the worst stable of 2016.

As for Owens-Goldberg, I'm of the opinion that Owens' reign was already one of the worst in WWE history so from a personal stand-point I don't have an issue. I just find it sad that all it took was one promo from a star like Goldberg to get over and feel it's an indictment on the company and their inability to make new stars. It may have also bitten Goldberg in the arse as well since beating an indy darling like Owens isn't a wise babyface move, even though Owens was booked as a total fluke champion to begin with.

Question for you guys, what got you into Pro Wrestling? And please don't be afraid to give us details, life stories are welcome.

19. Cult3

I appreciate the Broken Matt gimmick too, I just don't think it was good enough to base their whole show around. Jeff should be thanking Matt for making him relevant again. DCC could have been a pretty good stable if they didn't use Bram and James Storm. Eddie Kingston, Sami Callihan and someone like Bobby Fish would have been perfect for it in my opinion. Decay were awesome, I used to watch Crazzy Steve matches when he was wrestling for Canadian indies. I've always enjoyed the darker characters. I wanted Kizarny to be a star!

I absolutely despise the fact that Goldberg won the title after just over a minute of ring work. Goldberg VS Lesnar does not need the title to be a big match. Plus it's so obvious who is winning at Mania. Then who beats Lesnar after? Finn Balor? All five foot of him? Maybe if he brings back Bullet Club (The most overrated thing in wrestling today).

I honestly don't know what got me into it but it was around the beginning of attitude era (1996/1997) when I'd go to my grandparents and watch it on their Austar. I still remember watching Undertaker try crucify Stone Cold, blood baths with The Brood, Shamrock ripping peoples feet off and just loving it. My old man would record WCW at like 11pm for me so I could watch it after school. I was a massive fan of the cruiserweights and Chris Jericho has been my favourite since his WCW days.

Big Pete likes this.
    I'm just glad they didn't put the championship on Matt Hardy. I thought they achieved a nice balance, with Matt keeping his side-show to the tag division while basing the Heavyweight division around Lashley, Edwards, EC3 and Eli.

The problem with the DCC is that they were brought in at a time when there was every chance TNA was going off the air. The whole 'internet hacker' gimmick could have worked, but not on the talents they had available. It just got me that the whole point of the stable was their annonimity then they completely gave themselves up...then tried to hide it again by wearing the masks. It was silly and didn't suit the characters at all.

Decay were good, in fact I've never had an issue with the TNA roster even when Hogan was on board. I haven't been keeping up the latest tapings since they were all over the shop, but my favourites include: Allie, Rosemary, Trevor Lee, Bobby Lashley, Eli Drake, Drew Galloway and Mark Andrews. The only wrestler I disliked was Moose, and that's only because they gave him a terrible roundhouse elbow that looks sloppy.

Hallelujah! I can't stand the Bullet Club either, honestly. I was OK with it at first since it seemed like a nod to all those Guy Ritchie gangster movies and lord knows Devitt needed some personality but I couldn't give a shit about the current iterations. Omega is a fantastic athlete, but I feel he's completely miscast as the eccentric goofy villain and the Bucks are all over the shop for me. At times their athleticism blows me away and I can dig them as chicken shit heels. Then there's other times where they're utter goofs and just take all stakes out of these championship matches. The rest of the 'Club' is just there for me, a lot of them would be better off without it and New Japan could really do with some fresh stables. Unfortunately they draw a ton of money and seem to be respected as the new IV Horseman.

I'd rather the WWE Championship was involved on the biggest match of the show than in a mid-card match which Owens-Jericho is. The problem is, the WWE booked themselves into a corner so either Goldberg-Brock III is a WWE Championship Match or you have Roman Reigns once again go over Braun Strowman on the biggest stage. As it's planned, Brock will beat Goldberg only to lose it to Roman Reigns not long after. It's completely tone deaf but Vince can do whatever he wants given the lack of competition.

And honestly whatever, as long as they keep bring me NXT and those UK/Cruiser/Women's tournaments I'll be OK. I've got plenty of other promotions to look into whenever I'm bored of the NRL.

Cult3 likes this.