QLD backline depth is looking thin

Broncs1459

Broncs1459

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2012
A few more injuries to QLD's backline and they could be in trouble.

Depth is only looking thin because of the bans. Without them, you'd still have Milford, Holmes, Munster etc developing very quickly.

Fullback - Slater, Inglis, Boyd, Munster, Holmes
Centre - Inglis, Chambers, Gagai, Munster, O'Neill
Wing - Boyd, Gagai, Chambers, Holmes, Oates, Feldt, Lee

Our depth isn't great with the bans, but we'll get by, we'll need a couple of the young guys to step up over the next couple of years though.

With Slater gone, first choice:

1. Inglis, 2. Boyd, 3. Gagai, 4. Chambers, 5. Oates, 6. Thurston, 7. Cronk

Second Choice:
1. Barba, 2. Lee, 3. O'Neill, 4. Feldt?, 5. Maranta, 6. Morgan, 7. Mbye

Unavailable: Hunt, Milford, Slater, Copley, Munster, Holmes

At least the first choice guys are versatile so that second choice team is never going to come to fruition but boy oh boy that is thin!

With Slater gone, first choice:

1. Inglis, 2. Boyd, 3. Gagai, 4. Chambers, 5. Oates, 6. Thurston, 7. Cronk

Not a bad lineup but Gagai has been playing fullback for newcastle and they will have to throw him into centre for Origin. His defence isn't that great in the centres either.

Oates usually plays on the left so that means you would have to shift Boyd to right wing. When is the last time he played right wing?

Slater's gone

Oh really.. I've been living under a rock for the past 3 weeks and didn't know.

I just listed the depth, in order of priority, obviously Slater is priority number 1.

our future origin team is going to be unbeatable imagine

1. Munster
2. Oates
3. gagai
4. chambers
5. lee/Holmes
6. Milford
7. hunt
8. McGuire
9. friend/ granville/parcel/McCullough/segeyaro
10. Napa
11. lowe
12. gillet
13. not sure

Our centre depth is a little worrying.

But fullback, wings, halves, we're all good.

Not a bad lineup but Gagai has been playing fullback for newcastle and they will have to throw him into centre for Origin. His defence isn't that great in the centres either.

Oates usually plays on the left so that means you would have to shift Boyd to right wing. When is the last time he played right wing?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Morgan go to centre this year. I'm not saying I agree BTW just that we are not spoiled for choice and moving one more out is something he should cope with given that he has managed a few moves over the last 4 years with ease.

I'd go further than that and say he is one of the top 3 worst defensive centres in the comp.

Mbye is an option at centre if we are desperate. O'Neil is an option too.

our future origin team is going to be unbeatable imagine

1. Munster
2. Oates
3. gagai
4. chambers
5. lee/Holmes
6. Milford
7. hunt
8. McGuire
9. friend/ granville/parcel/McCullough/segeyaro
10. Napa
11. lowe
12. gillet
13. not sure

I personally think it's a possibility QLD will go through a rough patch after next year. Thurston and Smith are the backbone of QLD's glory and QLD might have to start from scratch when they step down.

DCE has proven that he isn't what he is cranked up to be, I think Hunt will struggle at rep level, how Morgan goes as a starter is anyone's guess, Milford is a beast though and I would fear him. None of QLD's hookers are close to Smith and I don't think they are much better than Peats or Cook.

NSW have got some awesome young blokes under 25 who can be anything if they can get there. Another thing I remember the Australian cricket team after Warne/McGrath ect retired Australia went through a very hard period.

I personally think it's a possibility QLD will go through a rough patch after next year. Thurston and Smith are the backbone of QLD's glory and QLD might have to start from scratch when they step down.

DCE has proven that he isn't what he is cranked up to be, I think Hunt will struggle at rep level, how Morgan goes as a starter is anyone's guess, Milford is a beast though and I would fear him. None of QLD's hookers are close to Smith and I don't think they are much better than Peats or Cook.

NSW have got some awesome young blokes under 25 who can be anything if they can get there. Another thing I remember the Australian cricket team after Warne/McGrath ect retired Australia went through a very hard period.
This all sounds more like wishful thinking than actual analysis. NSW have some awesome young blokes under 25 who can be anything? What, Qld doesn't?

Milford, DCE, Morgan and Hunt are better than anything NSW has halves wise, and we still have Mbye, and the really young Ash Taylor and JNik coming through. The best you can hope for is that a couple of the young Tigers or Panthers halves actually push through.
In terms of fullbacks, there are certainly a few good ones in NSW, but Munster and Holmes cover the position very well.
Granville, Segs and Friend are also better hookers than anything NSW can throw at us, including Peats and Cook.

This all means that in terms of spine, we well and truly have you covered in the near future, even after Smith and Thurston retire, and while we're a bit short in our 3/4 line, we have a few weapons of choice to put there, like Oates, Morgan, Chambers, Holmes for example. Besides, our forward depth has improved a fair bit, certainly enough to maintain the status quo, and allow the halves to do their magic.

Only needs a sprinkle of Qld spirit to maintain the dominance in the game, and that as we all know... we have in spades!

I think Morgan would make a strong centre too. Wouldnt be too much different to how he usually plays. Just more running.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • mieko
  • sooticus
  • Old Mate
  • Jedhead
  • Shane Tronc
  • Porthoz
  • Lurker
  • maddo
  • Fatboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.