9. Andrew McCullough
10. Dylan Napa
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Felise Kaufusi
13. Josh McGuire
Interchange:
14. Michael Morgan 15. Josh Papalii 16. Coen Hess 17. Jai Arrow

Walters confirms Queensland team
The Maroons have deviated from their longstanding “pick and stick” philosophy, axing veterans Matt Scott and Darius Boyd from the side to play NSW at the MCG in nine days.
There was no room for 30-year-old Boyd — nor Brisbane winger Corey Oates — as coach Kevin Walters opted for a back three of Billy Slater, Dane Gagai and Valentine Holmes.
Walters also preferred youth in the forwards. He selected Jarrod Wallace and Dylan Napa as his starting front-rowers, while Gold Coast star Jai Arrow and Cowboys big man Coen Hess will come off the bench.
Greg Inglis was named as captain.
Queensland team: 1. Billy Slater 2. Valentine Holmes 3. Greg Inglis (capt) 4. Will Chambers 5. Dane Gagai 6. Cameron Munster 7. Ben Hunt 8. Jarrod Wallace 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Dylan Napa 11. Gavin Cooper 12. Felise Kaufusi 13. Josh McGuire Interchange: 14. Michael Morgan 15. Josh Papalii 16. Coen Hess 17. Jai Arrow
Walters said Scott missed out because he needs more football under his belt to find his best form, but it was “very difficult” to overlook him. The prop returned this year from a serious knee injury and is yet to hit his straps.
“He’s been playing some good football for the Cowboys but we just felt that it’s in the best interests of the team, for game one, to go without him,” Walters said.
The coach said both Scott and Boyd were bitterly disappointed when he called the pair to break the bad news.
“The worst part of my job is ringing those players and letting them know they’re not in the team,” Walters said.
“Matt Scott for mine needs to play some more football yet. I said to him by no means is he out of the picture and he can play a role in this Origin series.
“Scotty thinks he’s playing some good football and I didn’t argue with him there but I just think for game one we can go with some other players in the side.
“Darius Boyd was disappointed but Valentine, some of the tries he scored in last year’s games still stay with me and just at the moment we feel he’s the best option for us on the left wing.”
Walters dismissed the line of thinking that dumping the Queensland icons showed a lack of loyalty. He said he was in fact being loyal to the players that won last year’s decider.
Holmes starred on the wing in 2017 in Boyd’s absence while Napa and Wallace were both strong without spiritual leader Scott on the park.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/li...t/news-story/edbbc4617107d11b20e43838fa796c8a

Cooper picked, Boyd dumped. Righto. Do the selectors watch cowboys games?

Might have to lay down a punt on NSW, the QLD side is shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Current Broncos in QLD Team = 2

Past Broncos in QLD Team = 4 (5 if you count a 'handshake' deal)

I think the more worrying thing is that 3 players made their QLD Debut, AFTER leaving the Broncos.

Side note: Common sense prevailed, No Boyd! Although I just don't think we have a good enough kicking game to be competitive. With Smith retiring, I really feel they should have picked DCE and had Hunt on the bench, purely for the kicking.

giphy.gif

Current Broncos in QLD Team = 2

Past Broncos in QLD Team = 4 (5 if you count a 'handshake' deal)

I think the more worrying thing is that 3 players made their QLD Debut, AFTER leaving the Broncos.

Side note: Common sense prevailed, No Boyd! Although I just don't think we have a good enough kicking game to be competitive. With Smith retiring, I really feel they should have picked DCE and had Hunt on the bench, purely for the kicking.

Wallace, Hunt & Arrow are all making their Qld debuts (or in Wallace's case, did last year) in the first year for their new club. It's not like the Broncos didn't develop them well and they improved by moving to another club.

Unless you're concerned that we can't hold on to SOO players, because they all signed for much better deals than we could offer.

Scott very unfortunate. Disgraceful act not to pick him. Cooper is not playing good enough to be in the side. We are in massive trouble.

Scott very unfortunate. Disgraceful act not to pick him. Cooper is not playing good enough to be in the side. We are in massive trouble.

He's over the hill. And will be suspended.

If this is the kind of shit Kevin thinks is a good side, I'm very, very happy the club decided to not go after him as our next coach.

Gavin Cooper? lol
Hunt/Munster halves combo? Yuck

Seriously, this is the worst side I've seen in over a decade. If NSW don't pump us, they may as well just give up.

I still don’t understand how people can support clubs like the Tigers, Bulldogs or Gold Coast Titans and then support Queensland come Origin time.

I still don’t understand how people can support clubs like the Tigers, Bulldogs or Gold Coast Titans and then support Queensland come Origin time.

They're a bit slower that side of the border man.

QLD are gonna get belted this year and to be honest, I'm not that fussed about it. That is comfortably the worst side to don the Maroon in over a decade and the Broncos are the least effected they've been in a long time. After over 10 years of reveling in glory with the Maroons, it's the Broncos turn to see some of it.

Needs more Scott Minto.

Reserves
18. Scott Minto
19. Scott Minto
20. Scott Minto
21. Scott Minto

Coach: Scott Minto
Assistant Coach: Scott Minto
Team Doctor: Scott Minto
Team Nutrionist: Scott Minto
Waterboy: Scott Minto
Public Relations: Scott Minto

Why Cooper was picked over Guerra baffles me.

Not our worst team ever but our forwards are light on

I think we've picked the strongest team we could have. Love the Arrow selection. He's been killing it this year!

Cooper was the most contentious for me. I understand why they pick him, but I think Guerra or Papalii deserves that spot on form. Hopefully when Gillett is back he takes Cooper's spot over Kaufusi - then it will probably be full strength.

Possibly lacking a big bopper, but that's not really been out style for a while. Hess and Arrow should rip in, and I expect McGuire to play some prop.

Ofahengaue as 18th is a good reward for him.

That said - I can't see us beating NSW. That leaked team is epic.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Fitzy
  • Spike
  • Brocko
  • Broncorob
  • Rookie Alan
  • Santa
  • Midean
  • Organix
  • Adammacca
  • IceWorks
  • bb_gun
  • pennywisealfie
  • broncos4life
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Harry Sack
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.