QLD- will they do it?

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
QUEENSLANDER's thread V.2 (to keep the clutter out of that thread)

Prior to Tate's injury, my entire QLD backline was selected, except one wing spot. Mal has lead us to 3 series victories with these positions and I don't think they should change. However, after last weekend we all need to be concerned IMO.

The JT/Lockyer vs Prince/JT question is ridiculous. The reason Wallace is the Broncos #1 playmaker atm, is because Lockyer is far more effective with this gameplan. This is a no brainer anyone who thinks otherwise is mistaken, /debate.

Barring suspension or injury, Hodges will be selected whether we like it or not. My concern is this creates the very real posibility of our winger's not getting ball. I'm avidly against playing Falou off the wing, he's the best winger in the code and I think the old (& proven) theory of not weakening one position to strengthen another is never more pertinant than at the elite level.

So this leaves a big question on our outside backs selections. My backline at the moment;

14. Slater*
2. Falou (See #5**)
3. Inglis (lol in the very unfortunate and unlikely case that both Hodges and Inglis were unavailable...Tonga)
4. Hodges (Falou)
5. ?- The one spot, some say Boyd, but IMO this is the one spot that Winterstein/Kemp/Boyd/QLD eligible winger, can steal.
6. Lockyer (Thurston)
7. Thurston (Prince)

* Hunt to start at #1, Slater on later ala 08. Even though NSW will know it, I can't see them stopping how effective it is.
** If we were really up shit creek with injuries/suspension to outside backs, then Slater would have to take a wing spot and Hunt play fullback all game. Both could change constantly throughout the game anyways, so I don't see the problem.

I love it CmoN QLD I am putting Money on Slater for Man of Series...

If sides selected tomorrow:

1. Hunt
2. Folau
3. Hodges
4. Inglis
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Prince
8. Price
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Myles
12. Harrison
13. Johnson
-----------------------
14. Slater
15. Thaiday
16. Costigan
17. Hannant/Kenny/Taylor/Shillington

I just creamed everywhere NSW can only dream of having a side that good.... We all know Thurston will get picked but it would be awesome to watch Prince and Lockyer play together.

Could probably chuck Thurston on the bench instead of Costigan, and have one of those 4 big men mentioned in the 17.

Our pack has more question marks this year compared to 08, however the frontrow still picks itself as do some of the usual suspects.

8. Fijian Messiah
9. Best Hooker in the game
10. The Dreamboat
11. Sammy T

This is where the debate starts IMO. The usual suspects;

Myles, Johnson, Harrison, Webb, Hannant

However some of these names have to be discussed;

Kenny, Taylor, Stagg, Costigan, Kaufusi, Parker, Shillington

Shilington is on fire I would have him on my bench for sure. The sides you guys are picking look fine, we look the goods for 4 in a row at this stage.

I hope they don't pick Taylor yet I think he would handle it but I reckon Kenny deserves it more and will do a better job.

1. Hunt
2. Boyd (he is showing good form so far this season and is so strong in defence.)
3. Inglis
4. Hodges ( time to shine Mr Attitude.)
5. Folau
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Price
9. SMith
10. Civonieciva
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Johnson

14. Harrison
15. Slater
16. Hannant
17. Costigan

Will not lose.... Piss all ove NSW. Bellamy will cry and blame the ref. HAHAHAHA suck on it NSW.

Love this thread, I think QLD will have a beter team still this year, and the team you picked looks like it could go 4 in a row easily. I hope kenny gets in over hannant though, would like to see shillo on the bench and hunt slater rotation again.

Man...what an embarresment of riches!!!

For mine, I've always said I'd like to see Hunt start at fullback with Slater on the wing. They can swap during the game especially when the forwards start getting tired and swap back when fresh interchanges come on.

1. Hunt
2. Slater
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Folau
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Price
9. Smith
10. Civonceva
11. Thaiday
12. Harrison
13. Johnson

14. Myles
15. Hannant/Kenny
16. Costagame/Kaufusi
17. Parker/Shillington

Two props and two backrowers for the bench.

The Hunt starting fullback with Slater on the bench tactic is the perfect way to go.

I think one of Kenny or Dave Taylor will make it onto the bench this year. Costigan, Shillington, Webb and Kaufusi are all a fair way off Origin standard at the moment.

1. Hunt 2. Boyd 3. Inglis 4. Hodges 5. Folau 6. Lockyer 7. Thurston (although Prince would be just as good) 8. Price 9. Smith 10. Civoniceva 11. Thaiday 12. Myles 13. Johnson

14. Slater 15. Hannant 16. Taylor 17. Harrison

Out of curiosity, why does everyone name Boyd in that vacant wing position?

Besides playing last series, what makes him stand out from the rookies or even Kemp?

Kemp hasn't been very impressive so far this year but then neither has Boyd.

Kemp and Boyd have both been equally quiet, but Boyd is the incumbent.

As for the rookies.. who in particular?

I'd love Winterstein over Boyd, Boyd has done nothing this season thus far.

No matter what, more so than last year, this year seems it will hurt Broncos a lot.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Galah
  • LGH
  • broncos4life
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Johnny92
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • peter09
  • Aldo
  • Foordy
  • Manofoneway
  • Skathen
  • Alec
  • ivanhungryjak
  • KateBroncos1812
  • heartly87
  • leon.bott
  • Manifesto
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.