Queensland 2014 Line-Ups

Defence, physicality and a take no prisoners attitude really defines Brent Tate.

If you asked me which player I'd rather at my club, I'd take Copley with no hesitation since he's a classy player about to reach his prime.

However, Tate still deserves to wear that jersey and I am proud to have him represent me and the state. I had my concerns in 2012 but he's virtually quelled them at every opportunity in the Maroon, as has Hodges in recent times.

If one of them does go down, I'll be interested to see who Mal picks. Given he's 19th man, I'd imagine it would be Will Chambers but I don't think he's anything more than a stop gap option who gets by on experience, nothing more, nothing less.

I actually think Dale is well on his way but needs a year to master his game.

Needs to study Tate and get more competitive.

Vidot needs to work on his defence before I'd even consider him.

I'm down with all of this. I remember being amused a few years ago by the suggestions of Copley for Origin, but I truly believe he's well on his way there.

As for Vidot, he's been great for us but he is a bit one dimensional at this stage. He needs to knuckle down on his defence, work on his aerial ability and know when to step and when to bulldoze (Taufua is a great example). Hopefully he has it in him.

Because it's a forum full of Broncos supporters, so these players are viewed with Bronco bias. To be fair Vidot would still get some raps if he were playing at a different club, but not as many. Honestly, if Copley were a Shark and was putting in the same performances he has been for us people wouldn't even entertain the idea of him being a potential Origin player.

Vidot has been good with the hard work but still has deficiencies, most notably under the high ball. I wouldn't feel at all confident in either at Origin level. Ditto applies to Will Chambers too. Also to a guy who has been picked, like Trent Hodkinson. Terrific form, but not at all convinced he has all the tools to make it at Origin level. Hopefully he doesn't and NSW keep picking him anyway.

TBH I think this bias goes both ways. With some players I think we scrutinise their game so much that we forget all their positive aspects. I think Copley and Macca are 2 prime examples of this. It's like all the average fan focuses on is their negatives but overlook every other aspect.

It's almost like an attitude of "he's ok, but he wouldn't get a start elsewhere", when that's not the case. I actually disagree with the notion that if copley was playing elsewhere we wouldn't entertain the fact of him being a potential origin player, I think it's the exact opposite TBH. For example the amount of people that think chambers will be some kind of star in origin (granted while the big 3 are playing he probably would do well) or the calls previously for justin o'neill. Average players at other clubs seem to be held in much higher regard than good players at our own

Chambers would be great in the QLD side, anyone saying otherwise is just saying that coz of the jersey he wears week in week out

Well I'm saying otherwise and it has nothing to do with his jersey, I couldn't give a **** what club he plays at. As I said I think he would go ok while the other melbourne guys are still playing due to that combination, but outside of that I don't see anything that puts him above the other candidates post-hodgo/tate era.

Every other potential gets compared to hodgo and tate, so tell me how chambers would be great in the QLD side in comparison to them?

It's funny actually the lamenting about JYY because he was suspect in defense when he came on to be rep scene but really stepped it up after getting a taste. I think Copley would do the same. Let's not forget Hodges debut and now he is one of he first chosen. Inglis and Boyd are still young enough so the generational change can wait a year or two yet. For me, the problem is what to do post-Slater as while Inglis is a gun fullback obviously, our replacement centres are few and far between and this is why I would love to see Reed punted from our centre spot and give it to Copley to give him a season or two experience before making our state side in that position.

Also, is Sisa Waqa eligible for us? He would be next winger in, a lot of Jharal about him.

Chambers would be great in the QLD side, anyone saying otherwise is just saying that coz of the jersey he wears week in week out

Not at all.

Chambers has still got some major holes in his game. Poor defence and positioning is just for starters.

Not ready for SOO...IMO

Nothing to do with him playing for the Storm.

Not at all.

Chambers has still got some major holes in his game. Poor defence and positioning is just for starters.

Not ready for SOO...IMO

Nothing to do with him playing for the Storm.

Agreed. Good player but not as good as what some make him out to be.

Yeah, Chambers' defence is Dane Gagai bad. And he doesn't seem to have Gagai's class in attack either. I really don't get it, and it's not because he's from Melbourne....though their outside backs are often overrated, Mahe Fonua lol.

If you go back a year or two you will likely find some posts from me really supporting Chambers as an Origin guy. But for me he's not really improved over that time, particularly in defence, so I've backed off that statement a bit. The fact that I was previously a supporter though shows that it has nothing to do with his jersey.

It's funny actually the lamenting about JYY because he was suspect in defense when he came on to be rep scene but really stepped it up after getting a taste. I think Copley would do the same. Let's not forget Hodges debut and now he is one of he first chosen. Inglis and Boyd are still young enough so the generational change can wait a year or two yet. For me, the problem is what to do post-Slater as while Inglis is a gun fullback obviously, our replacement centres are few and far between and this is why I would love to see Reed punted from our centre spot and give it to Copley to give him a season or two experience before making our state side in that position.

I don't think fullback is an issue at all. Ben Barba will hopefully find some form. If he doesn't then perhaps Milford, though his positional work isn't Origin standard yet and won't be if he plays halves at NRL level. Also, Darius Boyd is a fullback by trade so we could just slot him back there. And apparently Valentine Holmes has potential, though I've yet to see it (albeit I've seen him in very little outside of the U20's Origin).

Frankly our big issue is the forwards. We'll have DCE, Milford, Barba all options in the halves with Friend at hooker, but who sets the platform the way Webcke, Civo, Scott, Price et al did for the current spine? Kennedy isn't stepping up and our other prop alternatives are quite old. For me that's the biggest area of need.

I want to see more of Valentine Holmes. I don't think the Sharks NYC have had many if any games on NYC and he had a shocker in the U/20s Origin but have heard plenty of great things about him.

I am hoping Inglis has a big game.

He has been a slow starter lately. He just doesn't seem to have as big an impact in Game 1 than what he does in the next 2.

Honestly, I've been getting sick of it. I am hoping that changes and he steps up it a notch.

As for our young boppers, we have McGuire who is still young and Perrett, Molo, Hala (maybe), Wallace, Evans? Coming through so while they aren't at the level of the current boys, SCOOT, Lawrence and Myles are still gonna be around for another few years yet.

If a players NRL side had any effect on my Origin selection policy, DCE would be nowhere near the team....

Napa*

Don't forget about Korbin Sims either.

Grevsmuhl could be something too if he gets his act together.

As for our young boppers, we have McGuire who is still young and Perrett, Molo, Hala (maybe), Wallace, Evans? Coming through so while they aren't at the level of the current boys, SCOOT, Lawrence and Myles are still gonna be around for another few years yet.

You realise Brenton Lawrence is already 30 yrs old...yeah?

I agree with Ari......although we do have shortage in outside backs, a shortage of quality big front rowers is of more concern.

Unread

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • Porthoz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • NSW stables
  • MrRobot
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • Redux
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Johnny92
  • Morkel
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.