Queensland Bulls Discussion - 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooooo we’re totally gonna lose this aren’t we.

Good guys Queensland letting Ferguson go out a winner with a ton
Thanks for that😄

Might have been the old double reverse jinx.. He jinxed Ferguson, but we still can't get these bloody bowlers out.

Great bowling from Steketee - hits Scott flush in the grill and then after a break to do the HIA, hits him with the perfect leg cutter to jag back and hit the top of off after pitching on 4th or 5th stump. Absolute gem of a ball.

Great bowling from Steketee - hits Scott flush in the grill and then after a break to do the HIA, hits him with the perfect leg cutter to jag back and hit the top of off after pitching on 4th or 5th stump. Absolute gem of a ball.

Wouldn't mind a couple more..

SA are such a weird team, collapse every first innings and score huge in their second every game so far.

Swepson gets 2 quick ones, 1 left.

Sweppo is certainly the clear number 2 spinner behind Lyon now though, he's gone up a few levels in the last year or three.

Yep completely overrated. If any other spinner had been given the chances he has, they would be a hell of a lot better and more consistent than Lyon.

I'm not really sure you can say the guy with the best record for an offspinner playing for Australia by FAR is overrated.

I'm also not really sure ANY other spinner could have done better. SOK yeah maybe but he has other external issues. Dan Cullen? Cullen Bailey? Jon Holland? Cameron Boyce? Ashton Agar? Nathan Hauritz? Jason Vampire? Steven Smith (as a spinner)?

Yeah, not so sure on that one.

I'm not really sure you can say the guy with the best record for an offspinner playing for Australia by FAR is overrated.

I'm also not really sure ANY other spinner could have done better. SOK yeah maybe but he has other external issues. Dan Cullen? Cullen Bailey? Jon Holland? Cameron Boyce? Ashton Agar? Nathan Hauritz? Jason Vampire? Steven Smith (as a spinner)?

Yep I say ANY! Given the chances and training he has had. I would say he has lost us just as many games as he has won us.

Lyon is still one of the first picked. With our gun pace attack I think you primarily want a spinner that can keep things tight and bowl long spells and he does that as well as anyone.

Yep I say ANY! Given the chances and training he has had. I would say he has lost us just as many games as he has won us.
I think your username says it all.

Name another decent off-spinner Australia has produced in the last few decades? It's not hard to be the best when there's no competition.

The names you've mentioned there just demonstrate that we haven't had better alternatives (I would argue SOK was and his record reflects it, but I take your point). If you cast your mind back to when Lyon was selected he had a FC average around 35 and it wasn't until about 2 years ago that his test average came down below 33. Neither of those averages are anything special. In fact, you could make the argument that his numbers are not even as good as the likes of Graeme Swann - ask yourself if you rated him?

Many will argue Lyon bowls incredibly consistently and doesn't concede runs. If he's conceding so few runs then why wouldn't his average be lower? Look at a bowler like SOK for proof that economical bowling keeps your average down. If Lyon is a strike bowler than his numbers don't stack up to world class spinners like Ashwin.

Another point I'll make is that Lyon has been incredibly fortunate to be bowling in rotation with some of the greatest pace bowlers we have seen. Even if you exclude the current crop he had the likes of Harris, Siddle, Johnson etc. putting immense pressure at the other end. Lyon is often the target of oppositions batting line ups because sides see him as the clear weakness once they get through our quicks. I'd argue given batsmen go after him that he should actually be taking more wickets than he does.

I was okay with Lyon when we had no alternatives but I really became disillusioned when he choked in the Stokes test last Ashes. Now that we have other options that have better records than Lyon had when he was picked, why don't we give them a chance?

Being the "greatest" or holding records in a category of bowling that Australia has never been known for (or good at) isn't justification for why he should be picked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Organix
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • westy316
  • BroncoFan94
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • Jazza
  • theshed
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • Redux
  • Morkel
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Financeguy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BruiserMk1
  • Brocko
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.