OFFICIAL Queensland Maroons Game I team confirmed

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Source: QRL.com.au

Queensland Rugby League can today confirm the Queensland Maroons team for Game I of the 2023 State of Origin series against the New South Wales Blues.
Fourteen players who represented the Maroons during last year’s 2-1 series victory have been selected in the 19-man squad for the Adelaide Oval clash on May 31.

After an outstanding start to the season with the Brisbane Broncos, front rower Thomas Flegler has earned an Origin recall and will play his first match for the Maroons since making his debut in the final game of the 2021 series.
Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow also starred while on Origin debut in that same match and The Dolphins flyer’s brilliant start to the season saw him nudge out seasoned Maroons campaigner Dane Gagai for a centre position.
David Fifita and Christian Welch are the other Maroons players returning to the Origin fold after taking no part in last year’s series.
Fifita will pack down in a new-look second row alongside Tom Gilbert.
The sole debutant for the Maroons is Reece Walsh, who won the race for the fullback position following his impressive form for the Broncos.
Walsh was a member of the Maroons’ extended squad last season and in 2021 he was selected for the second game of the series only to suffer a hamstring injury on match eve.
Maroons coach Billy Slater will discuss the Game I selections with media this morning.
Media conference: Maroons coach Billy Slater

Media conference: Maroons coach Billy Slater

Maroons team for Game I​

NumberPlayerClub
1.Reece WalshBrisbane Broncos
2.Selwyn CobboBrisbane Broncos
3.Valentine HolmesNorth Queensland Cowboys
4.Hamiso Tabuai-FidowThe Dolphins
5.Murray Taulagi North Queensland Cowboys
6.Cameron MunsterMelbourne Storm
7.Daly Cherry-Evans (C)Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
8.Thomas FleglerBrisbane Broncos
9.Ben HuntSt George Illawarra Dragons
10.Lindsay CollinsSydney Roosters
11.Tom GilbertThe Dolphins
12.David FifitaGold Coast Titans
13.Patrick CarriganBrisbane Broncos
14.Harry GrantMelbourne Storm
15.Tino Fa’asuamaleauiGold Coast Titans
16.Reuben CotterNorth Queensland Cowboys
17.Jai ArrowSouth Sydney Rabbitohs
18.Tom Dearden North Queensland Cowboys
19.Christian WelchMelbourne Storm

I was kind of hoping that Reece Walsh wouldn't be selected until after he signed his next contract as this will probably add six figures to his new salary, but oh well. Hopefully he'll be one of those players who benefits from it.

Thought Ponga deserved another shot. Also thought Gagai deserved another series. Capewell omission I think is understandable.

All this changing and forcing out tried and true players is very... New South Wales-ish.... Hope it works.

Stoked for Walsh to play Origin and hopefully he takes that step up to the next level that so many players do when they come back from playing rep footy... but also nervous. Could very easily see a Hodges-like Origin debut for him. He needs to make sure he doesn't try too hard and overplay his hand. He's an incredible talent but he needs to cut down on the mistakes.

My spidey senses say it's a very dangerous few months having Haas in camp with TPJ and a long way away from any Bronco influence. With TPJ's 'new connections' it all lines up as nothing but bad news for us.

Still if he wants to stay he'll stay.

I think we need to promote the idea of what we as a club can do for him (and his family) after footy as this period will far outweigh his time in footy earning great coin.

My spidey senses say it's a very dangerous few months having Haas in camp with TPJ and a long way away from any Bronco influence. With TPJ's 'new connections' it all lines up as nothing but bad news for us.

Still if he wants to stay he'll stay.

I think we need to promote the idea of what we as a club can do for him (and his family) after footy as this period will far outweigh his time in footy earning great coin.

Hope we smash both the grubby blue *****.

I hadn't realised TPJ was in such good form....although I'm not a keen follower of the Bulldogs.

he could be up for a big one, though more than likely he will shit the bed and he'll get dropped for game 2 after QLD belt them in Game 1.

TPJ has a bit of x-factor about him, whether we as Bronco fans want to admit it or not.

TPJ has trimmed down considerably, he is much fitter which shows a bit more of a dedication to his game than he has had previously

I hadn't realised TPJ was in such good form....although I'm not a keen follower of the Bulldogs.

he could be up for a big one, though more than likely he will shit the bed and he'll get dropped for game 2 after QLD belt them in Game 1.
I'm not sure if it's been good form... he's pushing out a lot of offloads (are they necessary in origin?) and providing aggression, but he can still only go for short stints, which could be an issue for origin.

Without seeing the make up of their bench, I suspect he could only be used in 15-20min burst during origin... but is that worth a spot in the 17.

I'm not sure if it's been good form... he's pushing out a lot of offloads (are they necessary in origin?) and providing aggression, but he can still only go for short stints, which could be an issue for origin.

Without seeing the make up of their bench, I suspect he could only be used in 15-20min burst during origin... but is that worth a spot in the 17.
I just find it funny he said this a few years ago:

“As a kid I just went for Queensland. I loved Sam Thaiday, Justin Hodges and Greg Inglis. They were all my favourite players. There was a time there where I was living in Newcastle and my brother [Mosese Pangai] was at the Cowboys and I was trying to tell my parents, ‘let’s move to Queensland’ so I could try and play for Queensland.”

Lmao..

“As a kid I just went for Queensland. I loved Sam Thaiday, Justin Hodges and Greg Inglis. They were all my favourite players. There was a time there where I was living in Newcastle and my brother [Mosese Pangai] was at the Cowboys and I was trying to tell my parents, ‘let’s move to Queensland’ so I could try and play for Queensland.”

Lmao..
True rugby league mercenary in every sense.

Lmao..
I'm sure that quote will get a fair run over the next week or so

I like the team ... but it is a very NSW thing to do to drop 4 players from the previous year's winning squad

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  • Mick_Hancock
  • broncsgoat
  • porouian
  • Culhwch
  • Mr Fourex
  • bb_gun
  • Bronco bob
  • Waynesaurus
  • Lurker
  • mitch222
  • Astro
  • Foordy
  • Dash
  • azza.79
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.