Scott Prince (Titans)
Billy Slater (Storm)
Cameron Smith (Storm)
David Shillington (Raiders)
David Stagg (Bulldogs)
Sam Thaiday (Broncos)
Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys)
Willie Tonga (Cowboys)

There are some interesting selections and omissions there. Michaels and Ballin could consider themselves lucky and on the other hand Kenny and Friend can feel hard done by. I thought Friend would be the next hooker in line after Smith, but obviously not [icon_shru

mrslong

State of Origin Captain
Mar 25, 2008
Threads
Matt Ballin [icon_non [icon_non Steve Michaels [icon_ee

Poor Friend [icon_shru Why no Sailor eusa_think I'd rather him than Michaels.

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
Matt Ballin (Sea Eagles) LOLZ
Cooper Cronk (Storm)LOLZ
Steve Michaels (Broncos) ROFLCOPTER!!!
Willie Tonga (Cowboys) LOLZIPOPS!

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
No surprises there, aside from the likes of Michaels and Costigan - IMO they definitely won't get a run. Also don't see the point in naming Thurston, Prince AND Cronk. Surely another forward into the mix there? We'd be hard up for luck if both Thurston and Prince were unavailable... seem to be light-on in terms of forward.

1. Hunt/Slater
2. Folau
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Civoniceva
9. Smith
10. Price
11. Thaiday
12. Myles
13. Stagg/Johnson

14. Hunt/Slater
15. Parker
16. Shillington
17. Hannant

They'll go for something like that. If it were up to me, I'd take Cronk, Tonga and Michaels out of the mix, to be replaced with Sailor, Kenny and Kaufusi.

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Threads
LOLZ MICHAELS WTF!
besides that as expected.

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Threads
I didn't think Michaels has been that bad this year... no idea why he is copping so much criticism. Probably should have tried to set up Winterstein a few more times against the roosters, but after he made a few errors the last few weeks i think Henjack told him to just hold it.

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
Coxyz said:
Matt Ballin (Sea Eagles) LOLZ
Cooper Cronk (Storm)LOLZ
Steve Michaels (Broncos) ROFLCOPTER!!!
Willie Tonga (Cowboys) LOLZIPOPS!

That.

Can't believe they picked Ballin when Friend was available.

Jeza23

NRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
Threads
My main issue with it is that Costigan made the squad? He has played what two games? He is only there on what he has done in the past. At least with Tonga he has been solid when he has played for the Cowboys.

Agree with Coxyz about Michaels and Ballin too

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
m1c said:
I didn't think Michaels has been that bad this year... no idea why he is copping so much criticism. Probably should have tried to set up Winterstein a few more times against the roosters, but after he made a few errors the last few weeks i think Henjack told him to just hold it.

I don't think he's been that bad either. Not *that* bad at all.

But still not going good enough to make the preliminary origin squad, particularly when you think about the form of Kenny, Sailor, Friend etc.

Jeza23

NRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
Threads
Susan said:
Jonsey my friend, you're on drugs. Costigan has been very good this year.

How did Bowen miss out?

Plethora of fullbacks! [icon_lol1. Unlike NSW!

As for Costigan, he has been ordinary at best....when he played in the centres he was shown up horribly then he broke his hand in the process. As for his time in the forwards he has been outclassed by Creagh, Prior and Smith.

No room for him in my squad.

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
mick! said:
Susan said:
How did Bowen miss out?

1. He's overrated. Bigtime.
2. Karmichael Hunt.
3. Billy Slater.

+1

BUT, if you're going to include a very average halfback in Cronk, for the unlikelihood that 2 out of Thurston, Lockyer and Prince is out injured, then you should include Bowen for the equally unlikely scenario that both Hunt and Slater are injured.

He'd be 3rd choice fullback easily.

mrslong

State of Origin Captain
Mar 25, 2008
Threads
NSW are always crying "ridiculous" when we leave Bowen out....I'm onto their scams!

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
I think Ballin is good quality but am surprised he is ahead of Friend on the pecking order and Michaels doesn't deserve to be there they should have picked Sailor although Boyd will get the vacant wing spot on current form anyway. Other than that I am happy with the squad.

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
I also think Michael Luck was hard done by, he has been the Warriors most consistent player this season and probably the last 2 years.

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
The Gymp said:
I think Ballin is good quality but am surprised he is ahead of Friend on the pecking order and Michaels doesn't deserve to be there they should have picked Sailor although Boyd will get the vacant wing spot on current form anyway. Other than that I am happy with the squad.

I'd definitely have Friend ahead of Ballin and Payne probably slightly ahead of Ballin as well.

And Boyd is an incumbent and in better form now than when was picked last season, so he'll be there for sure.

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
Coxyz said:
mick! said:
Susan said:
How did Bowen miss out?

1. He's overrated. Bigtime.
2. Karmichael Hunt.
3. Billy Slater.

+1

BUT, if you're going to include a very average halfback in Cronk, for the unlikelihood that 2 out of Thurston, Lockyer and Prince is out injured, then you should include Bowen for the equally unlikely scenario that both Hunt and Slater are injured.

He'd be 3rd choice fullback easily.

I think cronk would go well in origin. The combination he has with slater, folau, inglis and smith would be invaluable. He is most certainly not the most talented half, but dont underestimate combinations.

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
Yeah I agree QLD, I was yelling for Cronk as the utility last year if they were going to pick one. If Hunt or Slater becomes unavailable I would pick Cronk on the bench, the guy can play just about anywhere and used to before Orford left the Storm.

shaneomac

NYC Player
Apr 7, 2009
Threads
i think QLD selectors have it set in their mind from 2 years ago about michaels. he would have been there before boyd until that season ending knee injury. i wouldnt know how hard it is coming back from a knee reconstruction but i dont really see michaels as the liability everyone is talking about on here.

i also think michaels will hold that spot for the season and israel and hodges will play wing and centre on right side for the next few years at least and will play for QLD and Australia in the same positions and continue to switch and get better and better.

Who should be captain?

• Herbie Farnworth

• Kotoni Staggs

• Jake Turpin

• Patrick Carrigan

• Payne Haas

• Adam Reynolds

• Billy Walters

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Team P W L PD Pts
24 21 3 499 44
24 21 3 390 44
24 20 4 322 42
24 16 8 252 34
24 16 8 141 34
24 15 9 109 32
24 12 12 -143 26
24 10 14 -3 22
24 10 14 -36 22
24 10 14 -97 22
24 8 16 -142 18
24 8 16 -171 18
24 8 16 -214 18
24 7 17 -249 16
24 7 17 -288 16
24 3 21 -370 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jof696
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.