Random Player Thread

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Let's discuss random players. For whatever reason they occur, praise them, bag them out. The good, the bad, the ugly. Thoughts, opinions, factoids - whatever.

Paul Bowman - always one of my favourites during the early 00's for QLD. Lot's of heart - reminds me for some reason of Michael Morgan, although Morgan is the more skillful player.

Jason Smith - personal issues aside, I wish he was a Bronco with his brother at some point.

Jason Smith

giphy.gif

Apologies, I thought I would beat somebody else to the six year old meme.

Smith will always hold a special place in my heart for his play in Game I 98. I didn't catch the game until several years after the fact and even then I admired his skill-set. Otherwise I'm far more familiar with his twilight years in the game when he played for Canberra and North Queensland offered him a deal to go one extra year. In a patchy Canberra outfit, he was a stand out and had a way of manipulating the opposition defence. Did well to play a part in the Raiders 2006 finals berth before getting that one final year at the Cows.

I'm struggling to remember much about his Cowboys run, I do have a recollection of an amazing flick pass try but couldn't tell you what round it was or who it was against. That was the year where JT and Bowen carried the Cows to 3rd with a minus differential. I'd still rate that Bowen year as the best I've seen from a fullback.

I don't think there was really ever any room for him to come to the Broncos. He was available in 96, but the Broncos had already committed to Tallis who ended up being OK.

Smith will always hold a special place in my heart for his play in Game I 98. I didn't catch the game until several years after the fact and even then I admired his skill-set. Otherwise I'm far more familiar with his twilight years in the game when he played for Canberra and North Queensland offered him a deal to go one extra year. In a patchy Canberra outfit, he was a stand out and had a way of manipulating the opposition defence. Did well to play a part in the Raiders 2006 finals berth before getting that one final year at the Cows.

I'm struggling to remember much about his Cowboys run, I do have a recollection of an amazing flick pass try but couldn't tell you what round it was or who it was against. That was the year where JT and Bowen carried the Cows to 3rd with a minus differential. I'd still rate that Bowen year as the best I've seen from a fullback.

I don't think there was really ever any room for him to come to the Broncos. He was available in 96, but the Broncos had already committed to Tallis who ended up being OK.

Appreciation for not de-railing a sincere attempt at a new talking point for the year. I watch a lot of old games, you do, a few others do. I'm just after a few thoughts on players from across the years, that might not always come up often.

Jason was more talented than Darren. When they combined, they were gold. There might not have been room for him, but that's what this thread is for. What is, what might have been.

To continue it, Luke Priddis. Man I wish we kept him.

For some reason or another, I've never forgotten one huge run by a rampaging David Hala into I think a titans defensive line. Sent them scattering like bowling pins, it's a shame he could never get his fitness and body right.

To be honest I'm sure that moment has only improved with the passing of time in my mind, it may of not even been that impressive. I like to think it was though..

Quality thread and I'm curious to see other people's random memories of past players!

For some reason or another, I've never forgotten one huge run by a rampaging David Hala into I think a titans defensive line. Sent them scattering like bowling pins, it's a shame he could never get his fitness and body right.

To be honest I'm sure that moment has only improved with the passing of time in my mind, it may of not even been that impressive. I like to think it was though..

Quality thread and I'm curious to see other people's random memories of past players!

I was watching the Broncos vs Warriors 2011 finals game today - he looked so good. We looked so set for years to come.

Nick Kenny: The thread. I've mentioned him before on this forum and for good reason. It still mystifies me how he didn't kick on after that one exceptional season he had.
[automerge]1577891969[/automerge]

Has it really been 6 years? **** me, they really are a bunch of unimaginative turds over there.

Last edited:
Nick Kenny: The thread. I've mentioned him before on this forum and for good reason. It still mystifies me how he didn't kick on after that one exceptional season he had.

Has it really been 6 years? **** me, they really are a bunch of unimaginative turds over there.

Didn't Kenny develop some sort of back issue and was never able to get it right? He was excellent for us that year.

Brett Kenny - pretty underrated

We waited about 3 years to see him run like that. He finally did. And never repeated it, ever. What a waste, it was really the only thing a player like him could bring to a team, it amazes me why he didn't go balls-out like that on every run. It amazes me more that the club persevered with him for so long, knowing what he should be doing, but simply not doing it.

@Harry Sack nailed it. He had back issues. One of Kenny's best attributes was his tackling technique but it put a lot of strain on his back, and whether it's what caused the issues, or the issues prevented him being as effective, I'm not sure. But he also had a legit post-playing career lined up as a physio, so he "got a real job", so to speak.

Hala had terrible luck with injuries.

So this is how I remember it.

In 2009 he was one of the stand-out players for the Broncos in the NYC. Since Henjak had never settled on a line-up, he got thrown into the deep end and was the Broncos best in that terrible 56-0 loss to Canberra.

It wasn't until 2011 he was considered a genuine first grade option and he proved to be an extremely handy bench option. The try he scored against St George felt like just a taste of what was to come.

Then 2012 just never got off the tarmac. He suffered an injury during the pre-season and on his return game suffered a season ender after making a huge bust.

Then by and large he was just disappointing. I think the highlight was his double in THAT game against Cronulla in 2014.

Simon Dwyer - loved watching how hard he hit, Tonie Carroll like but still and will never be out of pain or be able to use his arm ever again. Very sad end to a very promising career.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • Organix
  • ThomasovPreaf
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.