NEWS Ray Warren officially retires

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Rabs has confirmed that he has called his last game:

He has called 99 Origin games but won't call another. He also called 45 NRL grand finals, with last year's decider between Penrith and South Sydney his last event.

Ray Warren says:

"After talking with my family and calling rugby league and other sports for 55 years, I have decided my time in the commentary box is over. I will miss calling immensely but I think it's time to move on with my 80th birthday only 12 months away," Warren said.

"I really want to thank everybody so much. All my workmates at Channel 9, Channel 10, Radio 2GB and where I got my start at Radio 2LF in Young, who each gave a youngster from Junee a chance to turn his dreams, into reality. Hopefully my story will carry some inspiration into the lives of other young kids from the country.

"To the game, the NRL and the players, for giving me the privilege of calling such a great product. And finally the viewers, for allowing me to share a little time in your living rooms since the early 1970s."

Phil Gould says:

"Ray Warren has been the captain of our commentary team here at Channel 9 for over 30 years," Phil Gould said.

"He has been a leader, a mentor, a friend, a confidant, to all of us. Every one of us who had the privilege to work with this great mate is deeply indebted to him for the direction, care and time he afforded us all.

"The greatest moments in our sport, the greatest moments in individual player careers, the greatest moments in the history of our clubs, have been captured through the eyes, the emotion, and of course the unmistakable voice that is Ray Warren.

"He will be remembered as the greatest of all time."

Paul Gallen says:

"Growing up, he was such a big part of why I loved rugby league, and to then have him call my games, and to be involved as a colleague was unbelievable and a great honour," Gallen told Wide World of Sports.

Darren Lockyer says:

"As a player you made us look better with your talent behind the microphone," Lockyer told Wide World of Sports.

"The highlight reels for so many players are lucky to have played in your era. The Sir Donald Bradman of the commentary box, and a champion bloke to go with it

"Thank you for everything you have done for the game Rabs. There won't be another like you."

Nine CEO Mike Sneesby says

"The great Ray Warren is synonymous with Nine and rugby league for fans, players and most of all everyone here at the Wide World of Sports," Sneesby said.

"We are so pleased that he will remain an integral part of the team and thank him for his five decades of calling live sport.

"We look forward to his insights, memories, and character in our broadcast next week for Origin I and beyond. He brought the game to life for generations of fans in their loungerooms. You are the voice of rugby league, Rabs. Thank you."

Nine director of sport Brent Williams said; "From the Olympics, to Melbourne Cups, the greatest NRL moments and everything in between, Ray Warren has been the voice of sport for generations of Australians. His passion and enthusiasm for his craft is infectious and positively impacts those who are lucky to work alongside him.

"Quite simply he raises others and elevates broadcasts to higher levels. While the incredible commentary chapter of his career comes to a close, we are thrilled that Rabs will continue to play an integral role in our Wide World of Sports productions, including the upcoming State of Origin series."

jeez another reminder we are all getting old

It's time. He wasn't the same commentator in his final few years.

Still, an icon of the game.

The writing was on the wall when he went the entire season believing Adam Blair was Sam Thaiday.
He got Casey Maguire and Petero Civoniceva confused about a decade before that.

He reminds me of Martin tyler, for those that watch the epl. Legendary commentator, voice of the big moments, but can hardly raise a voice now.

Rabs has confirmed that he has called his last game:

He has called 99 Origin games but won't call another. He also called 45 NRL grand finals, with last year's decider between Penrith and South Sydney his last event.

Ray Warren says:

"After talking with my family and calling rugby league and other sports for 55 years, I have decided my time in the commentary box is over. I will miss calling immensely but I think it's time to move on with my 80th birthday only 12 months away," Warren said.

"I really want to thank everybody so much. All my workmates at Channel 9, Channel 10, Radio 2GB and where I got my start at Radio 2LF in Young, who each gave a youngster from Junee a chance to turn his dreams, into reality. Hopefully my story will carry some inspiration into the lives of other young kids from the country.

"To the game, the NRL and the players, for giving me the privilege of calling such a great product. And finally the viewers, for allowing me to share a little time in your living rooms since the early 1970s."

Phil Gould says:

"Ray Warren has been the captain of our commentary team here at Channel 9 for over 30 years," Phil Gould said.

"He has been a leader, a mentor, a friend, a confidant, to all of us. Every one of us who had the privilege to work with this great mate is deeply indebted to him for the direction, care and time he afforded us all.

"The greatest moments in our sport, the greatest moments in individual player careers, the greatest moments in the history of our clubs, have been captured through the eyes, the emotion, and of course the unmistakable voice that is Ray Warren.

"He will be remembered as the greatest of all time."

Paul Gallen says:

"Growing up, he was such a big part of why I loved rugby league, and to then have him call my games, and to be involved as a colleague was unbelievable and a great honour," Gallen told Wide World of Sports.

Darren Lockyer says:

"As a player you made us look better with your talent behind the microphone," Lockyer told Wide World of Sports.

"The highlight reels for so many players are lucky to have played in your era. The Sir Donald Bradman of the commentary box, and a champion bloke to go with it

"Thank you for everything you have done for the game Rabs. There won't be another like you."

Nine CEO Mike Sneesby says

"The great Ray Warren is synonymous with Nine and rugby league for fans, players and most of all everyone here at the Wide World of Sports," Sneesby said.

"We are so pleased that he will remain an integral part of the team and thank him for his five decades of calling live sport.

"We look forward to his insights, memories, and character in our broadcast next week for Origin I and beyond. He brought the game to life for generations of fans in their loungerooms. You are the voice of rugby league, Rabs. Thank you."

Nine director of sport Brent Williams said; "From the Olympics, to Melbourne Cups, the greatest NRL moments and everything in between, Ray Warren has been the voice of sport for generations of Australians. His passion and enthusiasm for his craft is infectious and positively impacts those who are lucky to work alongside him.

"Quite simply he raises others and elevates broadcasts to higher levels. While the incredible commentary chapter of his career comes to a close, we are thrilled that Rabs will continue to play an integral role in our Wide World of Sports productions, including the upcoming State of Origin series."

No comments from Fatty or Sterlo......thought they were kinda close?

No comments from Fatty or Sterlo......thought they were kinda close?

got the report from the nine WWOS website. probably only obtained quotes from people who still work for them

Fatty still works for 9.

I'd imagine it was only those who were on hand at the studio. As far as I'm aware, Fatty and Rabs are still on good terms but Fatty has a reduced role and doesn't do much outside of calling Queensland related games.

I'm surprised Rabs stuck around as long as he did. He's been stepping back for the better part of a decade but when it came to the big games nobody could fill his shoes. He just understood the artform of calling for a televised broadcast, allowing the action to speak for itself and only ramping it up to help really escalate the situation making it far more exciting than it really was. He usually focused on the positive and really only provided background on the players when there was a lull in the game.

There were exceptions of course. I can never forget Brett Stewart's Origin debut because Rabs every moment he could kept bringing up Stewart's diabetes.

However when he was at his best, he was a major asset to the game and like the old cricketing commentary teams it was nice just to watch the game with Rabs, Sterlo and Fatty.

Fatty shared a video on the 9 news segment, didn't see anything from Sterlo.

I'll miss Rabs. Besides Sterlo he was one of the very few commentators/pundits that was able to keep their NSW bias in check when commenting on Broncos and Origin games.

Active Now

• Accept
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Behold
  • Bish
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Skathen
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Hurrijo
  • Porthoz
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
  • NSW stables
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Johnny92
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.