The Dolphins discussion

Andrew Abdo says:

“Redcliffe is no longer the name,” Abdo said.

“The name is the Dolphins. This is about owning not just Brisbane and having a second Brisbane team, but owning the north as well.

“They will be the Dolphins. That is part of the discussions we had with them fairly recently. This is about the growth of the game so we want to have an overall strategic lens to this.

“For us it made sense for this to be the Dolphins because we are talking here about not just the Greater Brisbane area, but north of Brisbane. Moreton Bay, the Sunshine Coast.

“They already have affiliations (in the Queensland Cup) but they are talking about the central Queensland Capras, they are thinking about other broader affiliations.”

Peter Vlandy's says:

“They have agreed to work with NRL management on the branding exercise and that was one of the conditions of their entry.

“At the moment, they sought to be called just the Dolphins and we accepted that. We’ll be seeking fan feedback, we will do a study with the supporters and their feelings will be considered, absolutely.”

Andrew Abdo says:

“Redcliffe is no longer the name,” Abdo said.

“The name is the Dolphins. This is about owning not just Brisbane and having a second Brisbane team, but owning the north as well.

“They will be the Dolphins. That is part of the discussions we had with them fairly recently. This is about the growth of the game so we want to have an overall strategic lens to this.

“For us it made sense for this to be the Dolphins because we are talking here about not just the Greater Brisbane area, but north of Brisbane. Moreton Bay, the Sunshine Coast.

“They already have affiliations (in the Queensland Cup) but they are talking about the central Queensland Capras, they are thinking about other broader affiliations.”

Peter Vlandy's says:

“They have agreed to work with NRL management on the branding exercise and that was one of the conditions of their entry.

“At the moment, they sought to be called just the Dolphins and we accepted that. We’ll be seeking fan feedback, we will do a study with the supporters and their feelings will be considered, absolutely.”

They better listen about the colours. Dont want those changed.

hope nrl reconsider this name and colour bs. its just not right to let reddy finally in the comp but then not let them have the name redcliffe or Moreton bay and then change the colours as well. it wont even feel like the club they have supported for years.

if this was a sydney team being added you bet they would let them keep there suburb name.

the nswrl are a joke everytime you think they have done the right thing they then **** it up.

if they are not careful they going to turn this proud club into a generic joke that not even redcliffe fans will be proud of.

hope the leaders of the dolphins have some back bone and push back against these dumb decisions

They better listen about the colours. Dont want those changed.
I think the bid team have already stated that they will add a third colour because of clashing with dragons... key word being "third"... so they will keep the red and white.

The question could become whether they will be allowed to add black as the third colour or if that will be off limits because it clashes with the powerhouse club that is the Bears who currently reside in NSWRL cup

Not sure how yourself or other Reddy fans are feeling but it feels like they’ve taken your brand and completely diluted it. Is any of the excitement being eroded ?

I'm still pretty excited. I dont feel they have diluted it yet. I think everyone knew they would drop Redcliffe from the name, which i dont think is that big of a deal ( but it would have been nice to keep it ). Where they go from here is something we just have to wait and see with. They need to keep the clubs identity and move it forward with the new NRL version. I dont think it would go down well and it would alienate a lot of fans if they go too far. Luckily, in Wayne Bennett, there is a coach there who knows the history of the club and i dont think he will disrespect it.

Not sure how yourself or other Reddy fans are feeling but it feels like they’ve taken your brand and completely diluted it. Is any of the excitement being eroded ?
I am not a Dolphins fan but admirer I guess because they have done so well. They own a shopping centre for crying out loud!

I think they had to concede on some things. You can’t be the new boys and throwing your weight around. If they were strutting around saying we are 74 years old we want this then the attitude would be bigger off.

They have been trying to get in since before Super League. They applied when the Cowboys got in. So they e done their homework.

They spent over a million dollars defending the name Dolphins and suing the Titans so their pitch was always Dolphins not Redcliffe.

I was discussing with a mate the other day, if they're unwilling to go with Redcliffe, they could broaden it and be the Moreton Bay Dolphins. That encapsulates most of the area between Strathpine and the Sunshine Coast, including Redcliffe.

Lots of clubs have done the same because their suburb doesn't have a massive population. Couple of examples:

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks (Cronulla ~18K people, Sutherland Shire ~220K people)
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles (Manly ~16K people, Warringah ~150K people)

Moreton Bay Dolphins? (Redcliffe ~60K people, Moreton Bay ~460K people)

hope nrl reconsider this name and colour bs. its just not right to let reddy finally in the comp but then not let them have the name redcliffe or Moreton bay and then change the colours as well. it wont even feel like the club they have supported for years.

if this was a sydney team being added you bet they would let them keep there suburb name.

the nswrl are a joke everytime you think they have done the right thing they then **** it up.

if they are not careful they going to turn this proud club into a generic joke that not even redcliffe fans will be proud of.

hope the leaders of the dolphins have some back bone and push back against these dumb decisions
Pretty sure all the talk about it no longer being "Redcliffe" is just that they have agreed with NSWRL that they will rebrand as a different geographical location based on fans consultation.

So at this stage they are "the Dolphins", but at some point, probably next year, they will officially announce their full name, including whichever geographical location the NSWRL allows them to associate themselves with.

At the same time you would expect they will present their inaugural jerseys, major sponsor, logo, etc. so could be several months away.

By naming themselves as just the Dolphins, it removes any association to Redcliffe that may build up before they officially announce themselves and instead they are just "the Dolphins bid"

I'm still pretty excited. I dont feel they have diluted it yet. I think everyone knew they would drop Redcliffe from the name, which i dont think is that big of a deal ( but it would have been nice to keep it ). Where they go from here is something we just have to wait and see with. They need to keep the clubs identity and move it forward with the new NRL version. I dont think it would go down well and it would alienate a lot of fans if they go too far. Luckily, in Wayne Bennett, there is a coach there who knows the history of the club and i dont think he will disrespect it.
The good news is, judging by the new website it looks like the Red, White, and Gold will be their colours. I think that will look class and still be fairly true to the original.

I actually can’t wait for the circus around signings over the next 12 months.

I was discussing with a mate the other day, if they're unwilling to go with Redcliffe, they could broaden it and be the Moreton Bay Dolphins. That encapsulates most of the area between Pine Rivers and the Sunshine Coast, including Redcliffe.

Lots of clubs have done the same because their suburb doesn't have a massive population. Couple of examples:

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks (Cronulla ~18K people, Sutherland Shire ~220K people)
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles (Manly ~16K people, Warringah ~150K people)

Moreton Bay Dolphins? (Redcliffe ~60K people, Moreton Bay ~460K people)

Most people i know dont want to be called Brisbane Dolphins. Moreton Bay makes perfect sense. Or they could piss the storm off and go with Sunshine Coast Dolphins 😂

The good news is, judging by the new website it looks like the Red, White, and Gold will be their colours. I think that will look class and still be fairly true to the original.

If I wanted that colour from Bunnings would I ask for "Crushers Gold" 🤔 🤔 🤔

I'm actually not so sure about that.

there's already talk about the Dolphins kicking off 2023 in a "blockbuster" against us ... it's not really going to be a blockbuster if we're still struggling
Yeah it will be the nrl would love for them to put 30 on us

good news is, judging by the new website it looks like the Red, White, and Gold will be their colours. I think that will look class and still be fairly true to the original.

So we have the maroon, gold and white of the Broncos and the red, gold and white of the Dolphins? What a joke. Surely red, white and black or grey is the way to go.🙄

Interestingly, unless there’s a caretaker role about to spring up, next season will be the first in NRL history to not feature a Wayne Bennett coached team.

Most people i know dont want to be called Brisbane Dolphins. Moreton Bay makes perfect sense. Or they could piss the storm off and go with Sunshine Coast Dolphins 😂
Sadly I think its inevitable that the Redcliffe in the brand will disappear........ its a fucken shame!

Moreton Bay Dolphins is about the least I dislike at this stage.

So we have the maroon, gold and white of the Broncos and the red, gold and white of the Dolphins? What a joke. Surely red, white and black or grey is the way to go.🙄
They certainly are doing their best to make you forget using the word Redcliffe.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • marw
  • broncs30
  • Strop
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Justwin
  • Fozz
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncorob
  • Mustafur
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Allo
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Jedhead
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.