The Dolphins discussion

am I correct in assuming they don't (and have no need to) provide funding to the footy club
Use to sponsor the broncos, but haven’t in years. The leagues club have had their own problems.

They are well run, but they are not the richest.

I only used revenue & assets because you did.

Tbf, its not really an apples to apples comparison comparing assets of Queensland clubs to NSW clubs simply because of the difference in land prices, real estate etc. Redcliffe's assests would probably be worth 2 or 3 times the amount they are in Sydney.

Any one willing to predict who the inaugural captain will be?

Welch must be pretty short odds.

A war is threatening to erupt between the Moreton Bay Council and the Dolphins, over the naming of the new franchise (what's being called the snubbing of Moreton Bay).

local leaders are threatening to pull millions in funding. apparently the Moreton Bay Council provided $10 million in funding towards the Dolphins bid.

Queensland legend Petero Civoniceva and influential federal minister Peter Dutton are among a chorus of voices demanding Brisbane’s second NRL club be named the Moreton Bay Dolphins.

Moreton Bay Mayor Peter Flannery called a crisis meeting with Dolphins bosses. he met with Dolphins chairman Bob Jones and group CEO Tony Murphy on Tuesday night to demand Moreton Bay be included in the team’s name.

Influential figures in the region believe they were misled by the Dolphins. they claim they backed the bid after being told the franchise would be named the Moreton Bay Dolphins.

Peter Flannery says:

“NRL fans have a built-in bulls**t radar and this stinks, so whoever’s pushing this needs to take a step back and remember the region they represent,” Flannery said.

“The Dolphins have been a local institution for 74 years, this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to turn them into a national icon and it’s a chance we can’t afford to miss.

“Our region has the same population as Penrith and Parramatta combined and every other team in the league is associated with a specific location.

“I accept that the title Redcliffe Dolphins will be retained for the QRL, but dropping Moreton Bay from the NRL title is just a rude slap in the face to locals.

“The Moreton Bay community has rallied around The Redcliffe Dolphins’ Bid, now it’s time for them to repay that loyalty.

“The entire reason Moreton Daily stadium has the seating capacity, lighting, and broadcast capabilities to be an NRL venue is because of Federal, State and Council investment.

“I’ve spoken with Bob and Tony and I think they’ve been on the receiving end of some very bad advice. It’s time to start playing like one of the big boys, not just on the field but also in the boardroom.

“The Dolphins would be the only team in the NRL that wasn’t attached to a specific city or region, which is insane.

“The Dolphins can help put Moreton Bay on the national map, I implore them to do that.”

Petero Civoniceva says:

“Moreton Bay Dolphins is a no-brainer for me,” he said.

“The Dolphins supporters are as passionate as any fanbase in the game that I’ve experienced. In saying that, I do think we need wider appeal of the entire region, not just Redcliffe itself. This is so everyone gets on board to support the team.

“When the players run out onto Suncorp or Moreton Daily Stadium you want them to have a sense of pride in their jersey, in the people and region they represent.

“Footy’s built around that tribalism and if we want to be a team whose passion rivals that of anyone else in the competition then we need to have a sense of place and belonging.”

Dolphins bid chief Terry Reader says:

“We have a great relationship with council,” Reader said.

“Bob Jones and Tony Murphy met with the mayor yesterday. We’ve always had a wonderful relationship and will continue to.

“We’re immensely proud our team is based in Moreton Bay and will play some games at Moreton Daily Stadium.

“We’ll get to showcase that to our fans.”

Moreton Bay councillor Darren Grimwade says:

“I agree with the Mayor, the Dolphins’ attitude stinks right now,” he said.

“I suspect there’s someone new at the club pushing this ‘break of ranks’ approach and they should give themselves an uppercut.

“I represent some of the furthest communities from Redcliffe, but they understand the benefit of a Moreton Bay team putting our region on the national map and the opportunities that will come with that.

“Dropping Moreton Bay from the team’s name isn’t just a slap in the face to the governments and community that have supported the Dolphins, it’s damaging to business and our brand.

“Wake up, boys!”

Peter Dutton says:

“Council projects a $75 million boost to local communities and businesses if we are called the Moreton Bay Dolphins. That would be an excellent outcome,” he said.

“Manly, Penrith and the Gold Coast are examples of communities put on the map by their footy clubs.

“The Dolphins are in the NRL because they are a grassroots club who have given back and because they have great community support.”

“Manly, Penrith and the Gold Coast are examples of communities put on the map by their footy clubs."
Only Dutto could say something so unbelievably dumb with a straight face.

I'm sure the Gold Coast was put on the map by the Titans.

'I've sold the NRL to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and, by gum, it put them on the map!'

I think they are a bit premature with the outrage considering they haven't decided on the name yet

I think they are a bit premature with the outrage considering they haven't decided on the name yet

I'm pretty sure they said they had decided to leave it as simply the Dolphins ... they had no intention of adding a location to their name

I'm pretty sure they said they had decided to leave it as simply the Dolphins ... they had no intention of adding a location to their name
They said last week it's not set in Stone yet and they will listen to people's input. I thinknthe time to vilify them is if they don't make a change

Probably the first time Voldemort has ever talked about anything to do with his own electorate (which doesn’t even include Redcliffe)

Are they embarrassed maybe?
They're just regurgitating what NSWRL want them to say, like a good little puppet should

It wouldve been part of the deal that NSWRL would be able to name the geographic location at a later date, but for now remove any association with a region until their marketting department have got in there and figured out which region they want to target.

Very Rugby League. A huge positive announcement for the game has turned into a stoush over a name.

Whatever their name will be, it won't be "Redcliffe", so this little thing about 72 years of history has as much validity as any other merger going around in the NRL, that's essentially what they are doing here.

Merging with another region to appeal to a larger group of people, I hope they come up with something because I'm going to get sick of throwing rights at blokes who refer to them as "The Phins".

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bish
  • Broncosgirl
  • Shane Tronc
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncoscope
  • john1420
  • Strop
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • Maroon4life
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
  • PETERN
  • Wolfie
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.