The Dolphins discussion

While I don’t think they’re in any trouble yet, it’s not about the time but the number of knock-backs they’re apparently getting,
I think so far its only Smith and Tino isn't it that they have actually made offers to by all accounts. Maybe SST.

Here's the problem though, it may be easy for players to get out of existing contracts but the Ryan Matterson rule prevents them from making more money than they would have on their existing deal. Add that to the fact that you aren't going to get 10-15 disgruntled players in one year that will shift clubs too. The marquee players are starting to dry up and Bennetts golden principle of spending x amount on certain positions will need to change if he is serious about luring some serious talent to the team.
I'm not saying they will only focus on people contracted, I'm simply saying it doesn't rule them out. I'm not even talking about stars either, more about the guys in clubs contracted but are on the bench or reserve grade who believe they should be in first grade. These are the kinda guys who will get out of a contract and not request more money. Let's use a random Bronco for example, say Jordan Riki is only being used from the bench or ISC next year, he will 100% try to get released early to get a gig with Redcliffe, or another team. The benefits Redcliffe have is they will be able to pay these guys full freight, where other clubs might not have the ability.

Not a good look for the new team to have to seemingly convince players out of exisiting contracts.
But it's a good look when the other 16 teams do it?

I think I remember him saying he would find it difficult to play against the Rortera for another NRL team.

the report was saying that he wanted a "change of scenery" which immediately put Catalans in the drivers seat

take 10 deep breaths and relax ... we're just having fun at the expense of the new boys on the block.

everyone knows they'll get a team together, hell that team may even be semi-competitive.

that being said, it's not a good look for them to continually miss out on star players, especially when the head of recruitment touts Bennett's pulling power.

P.S while it has only been a month since the could OFFICIALLY sign players, they've been able to talk to them for much longer

No they haven't, they were only given the licence in mid October.

I'm not saying they will only focus on people contracted, I'm simply saying it doesn't rule them out. I'm not even talking about stars either, more about the guys in clubs contracted but are on the bench or reserve grade who believe they should be in first grade. These are the kinda guys who will get out of a contract and not request more money. Let's use a random Bronco for example, say Jordan Riki is only being used from the bench or ISC next year, he will 100% try to get released early to get a gig with Redcliffe, or another team. The benefits Redcliffe have is they will be able to pay these guys full freight, where other clubs might not have the ability.

But it's a good look when the other 16 teams do it?
Not a good look for the NRL. Let's introduce a team noone wants to play for.

There is more than likely more drama about their recruitment externally than internally.

No they haven't, they were only given the licence in mid October.
You don’t think they would/should have been talking to people before that?

You don’t think they would/should have been talking to people before that?

What would you talk to them about? We may not be a team and we don't have a coach.

If I was a player I wouldn't bother. They seem to be having troubles with a licence and coach- imagine the sell with nothing.

What would you talk to them about? We may not be a team and we don't have a coach.

If I was a player I wouldn't bother. They seem to be having troubles with a licence and coach- imagine the sell with nothing.
You’re one of three candidates, you’ve been the favourite for weeks if not months before the announcement and you haven’t made one phone call to say g‘day to a single player or manager? That would be pretty amatuerish if you ask me.

Not a good look for the NRL. Let's introduce a team noone wants to play for.
i was wondering before whether it is useful for the NRL to offer a small amount of concessions to get a team off the ground. Or even an NBA style expansion where you can nominate to "protect" x amount of players from being poached but the others are available if they get a matched offer or better.

Maybe not as much as the AFL, but enough to get them running. It's not a great look for expansion if the new team comes dead last and gets flogged.

i was wondering before whether it is useful for the NRL to offer a small amount of concessions to get a team off the ground. Or even an NBA style expansion where you can nominate to "protect" x amount of players from being poached but the others are available if they get a matched offer or better.

Maybe not as much as the AFL, but enough to get them running. It's not a great look for expansion if the new team comes dead last and gets flogged.

the Titans didn't need concessions and they were starting from scratch

the Titans didn't need concessions and they were starting from scratch
I’m fairly sure their salary cap was bigger than everyone else’s for a few years when they began

I’m fairly sure their salary cap was bigger than everyone else’s for a few years when they began

i'm fairly sure it wasn't.

it's not like the Titans were trying to break into a different sports heartland which is why the AFL gave the Swans and Lions cap concessions for a long time

You’re one of three candidates, you’ve been the favourite for weeks if not months before the announcement and you haven’t made one phone call to say g‘day to a single player or manager? That would be pretty amatuerish if you ask me.
It's not as simple as that though. I'm pretty sure there are certain players they will have spoken to before they got announced, but they wouldn't have been the better players they looked at. I just don't see anything beyond a " might you be interested in signing for us " kind of conversation. The NRL messed up by not announcing them months sooner so they could have had more meaningful discussions.

i'm fairly sure it wasn't.

it's not like the Titans were trying to break into a different sports heartland which is why the AFL gave the Swans and Lions cap concessions for a long time
I cannot prove it but I suspect the NRL at the time did help smooth over some contracts, they wouldn't have wanted a failing Titans from the word go knowing the Suns weren't far behind. They did have a pretty decent squad from the get go.

The whole thing seems (as usual for the NRL) poorly managed.

- Vlandys decides not to announce a new team until like 2 weeks out of the availability window, also at a time all other clubs have finished commitments for the season and can fully focus on their own retentions.

Then, you have two of the biggest, dodgiest clubs in the player market - the Storm and Roosters also vying for these same players / trying to retain them. So the Dolphins, although knowing they are favourites, not knowing for sure, so not being able to make concrete offers on or off field. So now they have to scramble to compete and while trying not to blow their payload on anyone (which is a catch 22 because they need to blow their payload to get a big mammal). So yeah, well done NRL for managing to make what should be a simple sell far more difficult and complex.

I cannot prove it but I suspect the NRL at the time did help smooth over some contracts, they wouldn't have wanted a failing Titans from the word go knowing the Suns weren't far behind. They did have a pretty decent squad from the get go.

they gave the Titans a hell of a lot longer to get ready than they're giving the Dolphins.

The Titans were granted entry to the comp in 2004 and played their first match in 2007

they gave the Titans a hell of a lot longer to get ready than they're giving the Dolphins.

The Titans were granted entry to the comp in 2004 and played their first match in 2007
May 27th 2005

However they were able to sign players outside of the June 30 transfer window.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • Brotherdu
  • Bish
  • Santa
  • Culhwch
  • Behold
  • Footy Fanatic
  • MrTickyMcG
  • achievedrap
  • Skyblues87
  • RolledOates
  • Sproj
  • mrslong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.