The Dolphins discussion

They will probably take Isaako Oates and Turpin from us and maybe some youngsters. I can't see what half-back or hooker they will get other than Turpin.
Korisau is still available

They will probably take Isaako Oates and Turpin from us and maybe some youngsters. I can't see what half-back or hooker they will get other than Turpin.

Reece Robson or Verrills i think they will target for hooker. I think you will see one of Hunt, Ash Taylor, Gareth Widdop or Adien Sezer there. I think you will also see a few players released early from their contracts who will end up there. Drinkwater, Nicholl-Klockstad if they dont get Ponga, Grant and Bullemor are my picks.

Widdops a long shot isnt he...thought he was fucking back off to the UK?

Reece Robson or Verrills i think they will target for hooker. I think you will see one of Hunt, Ash Taylor, Gareth Widdop or Adien Sezer there. I think you will also see a few players released early from their contracts who will end up there. Drinkwater, Nicholl-Klockstad if they dont get Ponga, Grant and Bullemor are my picks.
Bullemor.....❤️

I think I would be planning a few years out with potential stars for the spine. Tapping into the potential of their local player pipeline. Looks like the Phins are missing out on the top tier talent so need to be careful not settling for the Dads Army approach and filling the squad with mainly has beens.. Interesting to follow.. Its the off season after all :)

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Dolphins HQ at their weekly recruitment meeting.

Not at all suggesting they're panic stations nor should it be. However like any business they'd have a schedule pinned on the wall with a list of milestone dates. And I'd imagine those milestone dates would be things such as "identify target", "engage in discussions with target" "have X number of roster filled by X date" etc etc.

Now i haven't a clue what milestones would he set for what dates but i would imagine they would want to start getting guys in place sooner rather then later to determine what gaps they have and what they need to build a roster around. I.e if you get a Brandon Smith like Hooker and say Kayln Ponga fullback you really need a out and out organising half in the mould of Adam Reynolds or Cooper Cronk to compliment them. Alternatively you get a hooker like Harry Grant and a fullback such a Nicho Hynes you can probably get away with a guy like Ben Hunt as your half back.

I guess my point is while its not panic stations yet but everytime they miss a target, the waters remain muddy around who and what you need. Its basically throwing darts at a board to start until they get some guys in then they can really start targeting specifics.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Dolphins HQ at their weekly recruitment meeting.

Not at all suggesting they're panic stations nor should it be. However like any business they'd have a schedule pinned on the wall with a list of milestone dates. And I'd imagine those milestone dates would be things such as "identify target", "engage in discussions with target" "have X number of roster filled by X date" etc etc.

Now i haven't a clue what milestones would he set for what dates but i would imagine they would want to start getting guys in place sooner rather then later to determine what gaps they have and what they need to build a roster around. I.e if you get a Brandon Smith like Hooker and say Kayln Ponga fullback you really need a out and out organising half in the mould of Adam Reynolds or Cooper Cronk to compliment them. Alternatively you get a hooker like Harry Grant and a fullback such a Nicho Hynes you can probably get away with a guy like Ben Hunt as your half back.

I guess my point is while its not panic stations yet but everytime they miss a target, the waters remain muddy around who and what you need. Its basically throwing darts at a board to start until they get some guys in then they can really start targeting specifics.

In all reality, they have probably missed out on less targets than the press would have us believe. I do think they need another couple of players signed in the next couple of weeks.

I think one of their major headaches is that many players are looking at the Broncos and thinking 'well they hit rock bottom, they can only go up and the way things are looking that is most likely the outcome. The Dolphins' local derby rivals are the Broncos so if i sign for them I'm really signing myself into a guaranteed 'also ran' situation. Maybe I'll wait to see who else is going there first as Benny will be gone in a year or two. Yeh best to hold off on them unless the money is hectically good'.

The end result is most players with a half decent manager and an ounce of common sense can see they are on a hiding to nothing for the first five years or more. Why risk ruining your reputation if you can get something close to the same at another team.

Yeah... to me it's starting to become more about who will their marquee player be.

It's all well and good to be targeting the 2024 free agents, but they still have to field a team for 2023 and it's starting to get a bit bare on who will be in it.

2023 they need to hit the ground running to build momentum through to 2024.

If the team is garbage and they win the spoon in 2023 then they would be failing to capitalise on the hype built up for their arrival.

Which makes it even more bizarre that the club and the NRL want them to be known only as the dolphins so that they aren’t tied down to one specific geographical area. The flip side of that is a team with no geographical identity is easier for fans to jump off the bandwagon when the area they reside in isn’t represented in the team name if they aren’t competitive.

No geographical name, no players, no worries 😐

At this rate, Felise Kaufusi will be announced as the CQ Capras captain for 2023

Which makes it even more bizarre that the club and the NRL want them to be known only as the dolphins so that they aren’t tied down to one specific geographical area. The flip side of that is a team with no geographical identity is easier for fans to jump off the bandwagon when the area they reside in isn’t represented in the team name if they aren’t competitive.

No geographical name, no players, no worries 😐

At this rate, Felise Kaufusi will be announced as the CQ Capras captain for 2023
It’s so they can move them to Perth if broncos find success and wipe the floor with them over the next few years.

i've said it before, i'll say it again ... I'm getting Ponga's dad to write my contract.

I seriously don't understand why Newcastle agreed to that. they basically make him one of the highest paid players in the game, and then allow him to pretty much leave anytime he wants
Think it highlights how desperate Newcastle was at the time and how much of a mercenary ponga is

“One particular clause we need to highlight is that on June 1 he has to activate a clause in his contract to leave the Knights at the end of next season, that’s the end of 2022. We’re all good for 2022 with him, we’re locked in there.

“He also has a clause that allows him to leave the club if they win a Grand Final … if they win a Grand Final in 2022 he can leave the club. He has to inform the Knights within a month (of the win) if he intends to do that.

“The final clause is the freedom to depart at the end of 2022 if Newcastle fall short of a premiership, so effectively, even if he decides to stay when he has to on June 1, if the Knights fall short of the premiership in 2022 he’s free to leave anyway.
That's some pretty funny clauses.

So he can leave at the end of 2022:
- If he tells them on June 1st
- If they win a grand final
- If they don't want a grand final

That's some pretty funny clauses.

So he can leave at the end of 2022:
- If he tells them on June 1st
- If they win a grand final
- If they don't want a grand final
I think the win/lose grand final gives him an out if on june 1 he tells them he is staying.
More twists than a M. Night Shyamalan movie.

Active Now

• Ondi
  • Galah
  • broncos4life
  • lynx000
  • Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  • Culhwch
  • sooticus
  • Jazza
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.