The Dolphins discussion

Be nice to get a few more sat/sun games
Attending the game, absolutely. But for fans where that is not an option, my ability to watch has now been restricted further to paying for Fox Sports and they can set the price.

they make the most sense if you must add a second Brisbane team.

I do strongly believe the NRL should change their name though, because there is absolutely nothing "national" about this comp.

they should stop pretending and go back to the NSWRL

or if they really want to keep up pretenses, then they should call themselves the ECARL
You’re right: it’s an international league, and all the more reason the expansion should’ve been an Islander team, based in QLD.

they make the most sense if you must add a second Brisbane team.

I do strongly believe the NRL should change their name though, because there is absolutely nothing "national" about this comp.

they should stop pretending and go back to the NSWRL

or if they really want to keep up pretenses, then they should call themselves the ECARL
The solution is adding more teams to Brisbane.

Attending the game, absolutely. But for fans where that is not an option, my ability to watch has now been restricted further to paying for Fox Sports and they can set the price.
Kayo is $25/month and you get pretty much every major sport.

People have been calling for fox to decouple the sport package for years and now that they've done it people turn their nose up at it?

Kayo is $25/month and you get pretty much every major sport.

People have been calling for fox to decouple the sport package for years and now that they've done it people turn their nose up at it?
That is the price now. Plus, I live in Germany, so I need to have the watchnrl whatever it is, which costs about the same but only has NRL related items. This is also in comparison to free to air on channel 9, which is ummmm free and available via a VPN.

So yes, I'll complain about paying to watch sport. Especially when it turns into the shitshow that is the NRL salary cap.

The funny thing about professional sports is that people would play it regardless of whether they got paid. Sure, the skills are better, but I'm not sure the entertainment is actually better. I think a Rugby League fan of the pre-super league era would have extracted just as much excitement from a game as a fan these days. It's just now we get talking heads on tele telling us that it was a good game, instead of going to the pub and having that argument about the game with a mate.

the Courier Mail are saying that there are no conditions attached to News Corp Australia’s updated broadcast deal and it is incorrect to suggest the NRL has agreed to reduce Brisbane Broncos free-to-air games by 25 per cent.

the Courier Mail are saying that there are no conditions attached to News Corp Australia’s updated broadcast deal and it is incorrect to suggest the NRL has agreed to reduce Brisbane Broncos free-to-air games by 25 per cent.

Of course they would say that

Am I the only one that is actually concerned by a brand new Wayne Bennett coached team being up the road? Surely it will mean the amount we have to pay to sign any big name player has just sky rocketed .

Am I the only one that is actually concerned by a brand new Wayne Bennett coached team being up the road? Surely it will mean the amount we have to pay to sign any big name player has just sky rocketed .

I'm not too concerned by it

the SMH (Fairfax) article said they were surprised by the news re: fox/News Corp. (i.e. Courier Mail owners) and they gave the 25% figure. Who you gunna believe?

Just more proof that it's all about marketing. Bennett will bring fans. Team will be successful. Bennett will profit. The seasons they go round and round, and the painted ponies go up and down.

We're captive on the circle game of time...

the SMH (Fairfax) article said they were surprised by the news re: fox/News Corp. (i.e. Courier Mail owners) and they gave the 25% figure. Who you gunna believe?

in this case, i'd probably believe News Corp ... I just can't see them guaranteeing a reduction of Broncos games on FTA. the networks are driven by ratings, if the Broncos still rate highly, they'll want to show those games

in this case, i'd probably believe News Corp ... I just can't see them guaranteeing a reduction of Broncos games on FTA. the networks are driven by ratings, if the Broncos still rate highly, they'll want to show those games
I think the 'Big data' will show that the uptake of Kayo/Fox in the SE Qld region is poorest because our games are mostly on FTA. Murdoch knows he has to get our games off of FTA if he has any chance of getting our monthly contribution to his coffers.

Personally, I think the steps that have been so far undertaken to undermine us in the hope of 'justifying' a chunk of our supporter base jumping ship to a second (more) successful team in Brisbane have been counter-productive. I think what has actually occurred is the overall number of fans following the game as a whole in this region has dropped dramatically because of the naked bias shown towards the Broncos, coupled with the obvious inconsistencies of the officials overseeing our games. Many of those disillusioned fans will not be back no matter how glamorous the new 'plastics' are made to look. The present state of the game is so inconsistent it leaves the doors wide open for claims of corruption, match-fixing and certain teams being perceived as being favoured over others.

The fact Melbourne are currently being rated as the most followed team in Australia over the Broncos is all the proof you need. The NRL have managed to stuff the goose that laid the golden egg in SEQ. This short-term grab for cash will only have further serious repercussions in the long-term as the Brisbane market becomes fractured, watered-down and, once the novelty of the 'plastics' has worn off -irrelevant. We are indeed going back to a future of a dominant NSWRL.

Which is why the Broncos are in the can right now. Read the SMH article. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ne...2023-redcliffe-expansion-20211004-p58x16.html

guaranteed the Broncos come good after Nine Fairfax (News Corps. biggest NRL rivals) relinquish their hold on the Broncos on Friday nights.

Who owns the Broncos? News Corp. Who stands to benefit? News Corp.

edit: I always think of The Departed when I ask myself "Qui bono?"

I think of that classic line: "Qui gives a ****!?"

I don't quite get it, a single extra team doesn't increase the amount of matches. They need to bring in two teams to gain an extra match.

On the flip side, a rotating bye would be good to give players a break to clear up niggling injuries during the season. Each team will recieve 3 weeks off total with SOO mid year.

Continuing news’ agenda we have Benji, the former Bronco

Attachments

• 77C29E0B-5114-4474-B390-2B0A6DD426EE.png
    77C29E0B-5114-4474-B390-2B0A6DD426EE.png
    177.9 KB · Views: 139
Interesting reflection on the Titans - nah I’d rather retire than play for you.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Foordy
  • Bish
  • Mr Fourex
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Accept
  • Behold
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Hurrijo
  • Porthoz
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
  • NSW stables
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.