The Dolphins discussion

There has to be something we can do about it. For example, don't buy the product. That is the only thing Capitalists understand. Furthermore, talking about it and making waves, especially with the club, is another huge move that we as fans can do.

This administration don't understand Jack shit ... that's the problem.

They were patting themselves on the back for a 3% (or something similar) increase in TV ratings in NSW ... when the reality is that should have hit them like a ton of bricks and sent a big fucking message that they are on the wrong path.

With zero games played in NSW and the entirety of Sydney under lockdown for 6 months, the ratings should have increased by 20% minimum

I seriously don't understand how anyone can complain at $6 a week for all that sport coverage. It's a deadset bargain, and if/when it goes up some, I still won't complain as it will still represent good value.
But for those who can't afford or justify, the NRL does allow you to stream full match replays entirely for free.
So it's live on 9 for probably 2/3rds of the Broncos games, and the 1/3rd ish that aren't, full replay the day after. It's still entirely free to watch every NRL game.
How can anyone complain at that?

I seriously don't understand how anyone can complain at $6 a week for all that sport coverage. It's a deadset bargain, and if/when it goes up some, I still won't complain as it will still represent good value.
But for those who can't afford or justify, the NRL does allow you to stream full match replays entirely for free.
So it's live on 9 for probably 2/3rds of the Broncos games, and the 1/3rd ish that aren't, full replay the day after. It's still entirely free to watch every NRL game.
I think the main argument (could be wrong, prob am) is the divvying up of sports content across multiple providers/platforms ends up leaving us all poorer, while the owners of the content suck us even further dry. There's plenty of examples of this in England, to basically watch all the competitive tiers of english soccer (and the associated cups) you need like 3 different subscribers. While that example isn't 100% relevant to Australian League, I can understand the dissatisfaction of paying for something that you only get a small use out of. 10% of 6 dollars is still a bad return on investment lol IMO. Then again, people will spend triple that a week on morning coffees and not bat an eyelid (not me, I don't drink coffee).

It's not even just sport, think of all the media orgs now that have their own channel/content that's exclusive to their platform, netflix, amazon, youtube, hulu, disney, stan, prime, appletv (and I've probably missed a shitload more).

You underestimate my ability to complain.

I've no doubt it's a bargain for some, but not for me, because I'm not going to binge watch the Texas State Hot Dog Eating prelims, slide on over to the Latvian Woodchopping semis, and then make sure to catch the final of the All-Siberian Ice Dancing Championship. I just want to watch the Broncos, and I want to watch them live in the weeks they aren't on FTA, and if I could pay for just that I would -but they won't let me, so they don't get any of my money.

And I totally understand that if they suddenly started offering tailored subscriptions more cheaply - just the NRL, just your team, whatever - that they'd pick up my dollars but they'd lose more money on those subscribers currently paying $25 a month but who would be happier not to, so it's not going to happen.

I know complaining isn't going to do anything, but sometimes this old man just likes to yell at the clouds.

so expansion has been given the green light. a second Brisbane team will be in from 2023.

the meeting between the ARLC and the clubs has been reported as "fiery"

the clubs are seeking an extra $1 million each as part of the expansion objectives

according to the report Vlandys (not quoted) has made it clear that the 17th team won't be paying a licence fee, pointing out that the 16 clubs will benefit financially by the extra millions a 17th franchise will generate for the code.

Just split it between households like everyone else does. Our Kayo is shared between 3 houses (father in law, brother in law and us), just like our Netflix, disney, etc.

Just split it between households like everyone else does. Our Kayo is shared between 3 houses (father in law, brother in law and us), just like our Netflix, disney, etc.
I do the same.

I would love for YouTube or Netflix to buy the rights one day though.

yeah we share our foxtel around (I know I know, it's awful value wise.. but the wife likes crime channel). a mate shares his optus login for the EPL.

Big assumption that everyone has family and/or friends. I've carefully cultivated my highly anti-social existence, I'm not about to ruin that now for the sake of a few games of footy.

Apparently broadcasters are forcing the new team to have the word Brisbane in it eg Brisbane Dolphins. To play up the Brisbane rivalry.

Like how all Sydney teams have to be called Sydney. The Sydney Eels, Sydney Panthers, Sydney Sharks, and Sydney Dragons. So dumb.

You underestimate my ability to complain.

I've no doubt it's a bargain for some, but not for me, because I'm not going to binge watch the Texas State Hot Dog Eating prelims, slide on over to the Latvian Woodchopping semis, and then make sure to catch the final of the All-Siberian Ice Dancing Championship. I just want to watch the Broncos, and I want to watch them live in the weeks they aren't on FTA, and if I could pay for just that I would -but they won't let me, so they don't get any of my money.

And I totally understand that if they suddenly started offering tailored subscriptions more cheaply - just the NRL, just your team, whatever - that they'd pick up my dollars but they'd lose more money on those subscribers currently paying $25 a month but who would be happier not to, so it's not going to happen.

I know complaining isn't going to do anything, but sometimes this old man just likes to yell at the clouds.
Well you just aren’t living 🤣

Apparently broadcasters are forcing the new team to have the word Brisbane in it eg Brisbane Dolphins. To play up the Brisbane rivalry.

Like how all Sydney teams have to be called Sydney. The Sydney Eels, Sydney Panthers, Sydney Sharks, and Sydney Dragons. So dumb.

They want it to be the sort of rivalry that the Rorters and Souffs have. Completely manufactured and will not turn out the way they hope lol. The Broncos and Cowboys rivalry will forever take precedent in the eyes of the fans because there's actually history there now.

You are asking fans to not spend $25 a month to watch their favourite sport? The price of a large coffee a week to not be able to watch their team play + the magazine/nrl themed shows available, let alone any other sport on display they may be interested in.

I don't have Kayo as i watch through Foxtel but the $25 a month is decent value. Sure your prediction that the price might go up over time is probably true, just like electricity, food, Netflix, and salaries.

Like any other business News will find the price that the average fan is still willing to pay. They aren't stupid enough to price it out of the reach of their userbase.

If you just love NRL you really only need Kayo from Feb to September, 8 months or $200 of your hard earned. If this is the worse $200 you spend each year i think you will be ok.
In a very reductive sense, yes. But what I'm really asking is that fans be mindful of the path this decision is taking us down. Sure, it's a coffee a week at the moment for all that content, but it WAS just earlier this year free. I think it's already apparent the effect the new Fox NRL Media influence has had on the game, e.g., contract negotiations, public perception, rule changes, fan engagement, etc. and now they are asking that you pay for that, on top of what you already paid as a fan. The better option is to be involved directly with the club, not some middle-man distributor/huckster. Go to the game live. Watch the game at a local business (e.g. Pub/League's Club).

Sure, you can say that it's X-price now and that is cheap, but once it is the only market in town the prices will rise.

I'm only asking that we are not so shortsighted in this issue and pass it off as nothing. Because it is a strong move towards monopoly.

Phins 2023

1 Manu
2 Mcdonald
3 Opacic
4 Hoeter
5 Oates
6 Munster
7 Nikorima
8 Wallace
9 Turpin
10 James
11 Nikora
12 Lewis
13 Cotter

14 Turpin
15 Grant
16 Horsburgh
17 Ese Ese

I could see them maybe getting somebody like Welch or Hammer. Parra also have a couple of good younger players in Kafusi and Stone as well. Even Jayden Berrell may be a good shout for them instead of Turpin, but i think they will want to bring in a few players who have a strong connection with Reddy such as Tommy, Turpin and Horsburgh.

Off season filler but here is a hypothetical Redcliff Dolphins NRL team if they were allowed to immediately sign any current player that has played for them:

1. Reece Walsh
2. Jonus
3. Katoni Staggs
4. Tom Opacic
5. Dane Gagai
6. Tyson Gamble
7. DCE
8. Josh Kerr
9. Jake Turpin
10. Matt Lodge
11. Jamil Hopoate
12. Corey Horsburgh
13. Toby Rudolph

14. Corey Norman
15. Hymel Hunt

@1910 and @Wolfie might need to help me finish the list

Off season filler but here is a hypothetical Redcliff Dolphins NRL team if they were allowed to immediately sign any current player that has played for them:

2. Jonus Peaeson
3. Katoni Staggs
4. Tom Opacic
5. Dane Gagai
6. Tyson Gamble
7. DCE
9. Jake Turpin
10. Matt Lodge
13. Toby Rudolph

@1910 and @Wolfie might need to help me finish the list

Reece Walsh, Hymel Hunt, Corey Norman, Josh Hoffman ( stretching it a bit there ! ) Cory Horsburgh was at Redcliffe but didnt play first grade. Jamil Hopoate if he isnt in jail. Cant really think of anyone else playing NRL. Could have had Benji as well but he retired! Oh, just remembered, Jordan Grant.

How many simultaneous users can you have for Kayo??

A mate has given me Optus for the premier league but you can literally have only 1 simultaneous.

EPL is lucky that it's already massive, because Optus makes it soooo fucking annoying to access nowadays. No highlights on YouTube, 1 user per account, I dont think anything is free on their app (i.e. you cant even use their app to watch a weekly highlights or anything).

It's like they do zero marketting for the product and absolutely monopolise all footage of the product.

I think if any other sport went that way it would be suicide

Active Now

• Dash
  • Spoon
  • GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • KateBroncos1812
  • BroncosAlways
  • Justwin
  • kiwibronco
  • FACTHUNT
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.