The Dolphins discussion

I might be out of the loop on this, but what was the reasoning behind them not being able to be called Redcliffe Dolphins??

Marketing, too limited in your geographical area. If you live on the South Side of Brisbane why would you identify with Redcliffe?

They are 74 years old, they want a fresh start with a big area and no history. Someone on the South side might say hate Redcliffe and still hate them for 1981. Might like the Brisbane Dolphins though.

Same thing as the Roosters going from Eastern Suburbs to Sydney City.

East Coast Dolphins is where it's at. Claim the East's name from the Roosters if they're not going to use it and the Sunny Coast off the Storm. The rivalry would be Brisbane City VS The East Coast of South Queensland.

Also **** this new team. Let's go Broncos!

I might be out of the loop on this, but what was the reasoning behind them not being able to be called Redcliffe Dolphins??

Overall NSWRL just want to throw another team in there (because Shitney keep telling them to) and they want that team to be able to survive, but if you effectively limit them to 'Redcliffe' by way of their name, then they're basically going through all this song and dance just to create a new Manly.

They're supposed to be a National competition, but they give a brand new shiney license to a small catchment North of Brissie.

It's hardly marketable on a national scale... people in Victoria, NZ, WA, etc. wont know where the **** Redcliffe is when it's announced on the news.

It's also very limiting in how they can brand themselves... why would someone on the Sunny Coast associate themselves with Redcliffe for instance.

The next thing they'll be doing is looking to tinker with the colours, because I think it's considered reasonably close to the dragons or something... so they might get them to add a third colour.

All of a sudden even though the bid is 'Redcliffe', NSWRL will slowly pick away at their existing identity and history to create a plastic franchise that they can flog off and market... hence Brisbane Plastics... or maybe the North Brisbane Plastics now 🤔🤔🤔

I don’t think we should have to change our name if that’s what your saying.

Im fine if we sty Brisbane and they have a direction in their name. Like Sydney Roosters and South Sydney Rabbitohs.

The fact they are considering “Brisbane Dolphins” is my issue

TBF, I don't think the Dolphins themselves are considering a straight Brisbane in their name.

The Jets and the Firehawks are insisting the new team be called Brisbane to try and knock the Dolphins from the running.

A report today said that Redcliffe's bid were considering simply calling themselves "The Dolphins" but the ARLC want a geographical location in their name

They should be called the D Bay Dolphins. Why?

- it's right next door
- much of their fan base will hail from there
- it's just across the Bay from Bribie, another RL stronghold
- it has a nice ring to it.
-it is one of the most desired suburbs in all of SE Qld.

It's a no brainer if you ask me.

Marketing, too limited in your geographical area. If you live on the South Side of Brisbane why would you identify with Redcliffe?

They are 74 years old, they want a fresh start with a big area and no history. Someone on the South side might say hate Redcliffe and still hate them for 1981. Might like the Brisbane Dolphins though.

Same thing as the Roosters going from Eastern Suburbs to Sydney City.
For a second there I thought you were talking about @Huge in his GC penthouse.

Huge stretch. It's in Moreton Bay, call them the Moreton Bay Dolphins, or the East Coast Dolphins.

Probably end up being the Brisbane Firephins.
You gotta laugh at these fuckwits don’t ya!

Should be "Redcliffe Dolphins" IMO.......

Why should it have to have the word Brisbane in it.......

Is it the Sydney Manly Sea Eagles......Sydney St George Dragons....Sydney Parramatta Eels......etc etc etc? No..its not.

The Dolphins are from Redcliffe....thats what we should be called.

They say it'll (the naming) come down to a public vote. Betcha it won't.......and the NRL will insist it's got to have some kinda fuckhead other name.

It's interesting, the other two bids are screaming it has to have Brisbane in the title but Dolphins are saying they will put it to a vote to see- Moreton Bay Dolphins, Brisbane Dolphins or North Brisbane Dolphins.

I assume the ISC team will stay Redcliffe, and the NRL Team will be some sort of "Brisbane."

Moreton Bay is too vague.
I heard River City Dolphins was another name being floated.

Should be "Redcliffe Dolphins" IMO.......

Why should it have to have the word Brisbane in it.......

Is it the Sydney Manly Sea Eagles......Sydney St George Dragons....Sydney Parramatta Eels......etc etc etc? No..its not.

The Dolphins are from Redcliffe....thats what we should be called.

They say it'll (the naming) come down to a public vote. Betcha it won't.......and the NRL will insist it's got to have some kinda fuckhead other name.

Also, I couldn't point to Manly, St George, Penrith, Canterbury or Parramatta on a map, except to vaguely circle the greater Sydney area and say somewhere in there. They're just names to me. So what does it matter if some flog from Sydney doesn't know where Redcliffe is?

Also, I couldn't point to Manly, St George, Penrith, Canterbury or Parramatta on a map, except to vaguely circle the greater Sydney area and say somewhere in there. They're just names to me. So what does it matter if some flog from Sydney doesn't know where Redcliffe is?
Agree totally....and same goes with
who gives a **** if someone from South Brisbane / East Brisbane....whatever
can't / won't identify with the name Redcliffe??

Simply don't support the team then.....stick with the Broncs or whoever it is you do support.

I heard River City Dolphins was another name being floated.

It was an option in the Courier Mail poll ... whether it has actually come from anyone connected to the Dolphins bid is another story

For a second there I thought you were talking about @Huge in his GC penthouse.
9th floor but sweet of you. Two years ago I did ask about buying the penthouse or if was available!

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Evander
  • Justwin
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Dazza 92
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • HarryAllan7
  • Bongo
  • Lozza
  • Fitzy
  • ostin86
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.