The Dolphins discussion

Redcliffe isn’t even in Brisbane. It’s a weird choice geographically, the jets would have taken more of our support imo.

That said, the nrl will let them do whatever they want in terms of signings so they might bring in the bandwagoners in Brisbane who currently ‘support’ the storm.
People saying the dolphins are our problem more then any other club have not been Up to redcliffe or sunshine coast lately. The storm have just as much support as us up there these days. The problem for the storm compared to us is that they have NO OTHER AVENUES they have grown and developed talent or support. It's actually a little bit crazy tbh. The city of Melbourne has no talent or pathways for talent whatsoever, they've had 30 bloody years.
They even have a netball team on the sunshine coast. They start losing on the field and they will really, really struggle to survive without handouts from their owners and the NRL.

I really like what donuts said in his interview. He mentioned tv ratings and how the NRL should want us to do well, look at the ratings! Then he mentioned that no matter which club wins the Brisbane bid we will just increase our funding to other areas (e.g. Ipswich, Logan, southern brisbane). We start winning we will increase our support rather then decrease with an extra debt on top of that.

People saying the dolphins are our problem more then any other club have not been Up to redcliffe or sunshine coast lately. The storm have just as much support as us up there these days. The problem for the storm compared to us is that they have NO OTHER AVENUES they have grown and developed talent or support. It's actually a little bit crazy tbh. The city of Melbourne has no talent or pathways for talent whatsoever, they've had 30 bloody years.
They even have a netball team on the sunshine coast. They start losing on the field and they will really, really struggle to survive without handouts from their owners and the NRL.

I really like what donuts said in his interview. He mentioned tv ratings and how the NRL should want us to do well, look at the ratings! Then he mentioned that no matter which club wins the Brisbane bid we will just increase our funding to other areas (e.g. Ipswich, Logan, southern brisbane). We start winning we will increase our support rather then decrease with an extra debt on top of that.

I know Melbourne are a more attractive proposition in terms of their success over the Dolphins, but if Redcliffe get it right they will take a massive number of players away from them. They wont have to move away from their families and friends to get a shot at NRL footy.

I know Melbourne are a more attractive proposition in terms of their success over the Dolphins, but if Redcliffe get it right they will take a massive number of players away from them. They wont have to move away from their families and friends to get a shot at NRL footy.
For sure. Would you rather stay local and play under Wayne or move to Melbourne with Bellamy likely finishing up his coaching career shortly.

Probably the right call in terms of a team that is effectively already set up. But I really think they needed to capture the non-brisbane, rural-type fans. From Ipswich all the way out west and north. I know shitloads of fans who simply don't identify with the "glamour" of the Broncos and have defaulted to the Cowboys as their team.
And I think Redcliffe will resonate with Sunshine Coast, due to the coastal similarities... I think a lot of sunny coasters already support GC or bandwagon Storm (because of the Falcons and they relocated there).

And they should capture Caboolture and those satellite cities north of Brisbane, but not sure Ipswich, etc. will relate.

They are 100% jets and then probably Broncos because Alf, Kevvie, etc. and then cows because of country yocals

I think Broncos should heavily target the Logan area and re-establish ground in Ipswich because of the decision made on Redcliffe and before they can chuck a Western Corridor team in... we capture the west and we can push out to the Toowoomba's, Roma's, etc. which is where a lot of our kids used to come from.

Its PhinsHQ. Get it right!
jennifer lawrence middle finger GIF

100% and this is why I laugh at Sydney blowhards who desperately wanted a second Brisbane team because “**** the Broncos”. That’s 30 less Queensland players who don’t have to go to Sydney teams now because they can play NRL at home.

For sure. Would you rather stay local and play under Wayne or move to Melbourne with Bellamy likely finishing up his coaching career shortly.

Bellamy and Wayne will likely end up finishing around the same time.

I agree it probably shouldn’t have been the next cab off the rank but of the QLD options I think it was the right call. It doesn’t feel as manufactured as the others and is a club with a decent existing fan base and a soul. You’d think with Wayne involved there will be a good junior pathway set up which will actually benefit the game in the long run unlike the way the titans and Storm have been introduced. More QLD talent is only a good thing and another QLD team will hopefully give QLD more power in the NRL.

As long as they aren’t dumb enough to make the next club another Brisbane club, it doesn’t really matter what order they enter at. I’m hopeful the next club is in New Zealand or Perth. Some actual expansion.

They don't need Wayne involved to have a good junior pathway set up ... they already have that.

If they are smart, they'll keep their own identity rather than make the same mistake the Crushers made of trying to be us. Wayne said as much recently when he said (words to the effect of) the new franchise shouldn't try to be the Broncos, there's only one Brisbane Broncos.

the Dolphins getting the licence, was the best option for us ... their entrance will hurt the Storm more, given that they're located in the Storm's stronghold catchment area.

They don't need Wayne involved to have a good junior pathway set up ... they already have that.

If they are smart, they'll keep their own identity rather than make the same mistake the Crushers made of trying to be us. Wayne said as much recently when he said (words to the effect of) the new franchise shouldn't try to be the Broncos, there's only one Brisbane Broncos.

the Dolphins getting the licence, was the best option for us ... their entrance will hurt the Storm more, given that they're located in the Storm's stronghold catchment area.
I should’ve clarified that by junior pathway I meant preparing players for NRL.

I should’ve clarified that by junior pathway I meant preparing players for NRL.

I think they do that pretty well already as well. although there's always room for improvement and Wayne's experience will be an asset to them.

one thing that i'm going to envy from the Dolphins is they'll, likely, have the benefit of having all their fringe players playing for the same team in the ISC, instead of spreading them out like we do.

I think they do that pretty well already as well. although there's always room for improvement and Wayne's experience will be an asset to them.

one thing that i'm going to envy from the Dolphins is they'll, likely, have the benefit of having all their fringe players playing for the same team in the ISC, instead of spreading them out like we do.
That’s an interesting point. I thought the Broncos did this because they wanted to share the talent around a bit. Is there any likelihood that they’ll end up with one feeder team?

D bay desirable? 😲 When did that happen? Mind you it's possible but many years ago I drove a bingo pickup bus on Friday nights for Hornibrooks and the run ran through Deception Bay. It was widely considered Inala by the Sea.

Must check out the real estate market as I'm sure it must have changed.
Redcliffe was commonly called Inala by the sea, I have grave doubts about Hornibrooks doing a bingo run through D Bay. Are you sure?

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Porthoz
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.