The Dolphins discussion

And apparently he bought a ticket for his GF to the final, so I imagine that is the 100% increase. Maybe they have a kid? If so, there is your 200% increase.

If Payne leaves he's likely to be the least of our concerns. It depends on WHY he leaves.

Not to play down his talent, but if one thing having by far the best prop in the comp has shown us, it's that having the best prop in the comp doesn't win you games.

Let's look at some of the reasons he might leave:

1. We can't afford to pay him his market value. That would mean we've put money elsewhere and he's not our top priority. Not necessarily a bad sign. It would mean we have other players we want to keep more. Something we currently lack.

2. He doesn't see eye to eye with the coach or other players and wants out. That's either a vote of no confidence in the club, which isn't a great sign. Or he's part of the problem. Our position on the table will change how you feel about that.

3. He wants to be part of a winning team. If that's the case, we have bigger problems.

4. Rather than being driven away, he's being attracted to another personality, like Bellamy, Bennett, Crowe etc. Again, a sign we have bigger problems.

As basic as this sounds, we don't need to worry about Payne leaving. We have to worry about winning.
That’s why I’m worried

Titans may have been playing the long game... pay him high to get him to the club and then when it comes time to re-sign hope that he's settled in and doesnt want to leave.

Offer up a deal for what he's actually worth and then he has to make the decision on if he wants to leave or stay.

Also whilst in the process see if you can get him to burn his bridges at the Broncos to take a competitor out of the market.
Fifita will just walk on to the next highest bidder. The new generation of talent have no loyalty anymore

Fifita will just walk on to the next highest bidder. The new generation of talent have no loyalty anymore
Not sure... he doesnt seem all that keen to leave SEQ... maybe later down the track he'll up and head to Sydney if he wants to try and win a premiership.

I dont really get the impression that he is an SBW type mercenary player, but if he is then he could just easily head to union and keep getting that $1m from the wallabies, French rugby, etc. because he could quite easily dominate that sport... and they are likely to be the only ones who will give him that pay packet.

I think there were reports that Souths offered him $1m+ but he rejected it because he didn't want to live in Sydney... that hardly screams mercenary to me.

I think this generation of players is influenced by US sports, and most notably NBA, where all the rage is around building super teams.

Take "unders" to play in a superstar team or team up with other superstar players to increase your chance of premierships and therefore increase your prestige and brand.

In NBA it's reasonably easy because you only have 5 players on the court at any one time, so they look to have 3 superstars and then role players around them.

In NRL it's just generally looking across the competition and seeing who is best placed to make a run at the premiership, and then players take unders to stay or go there for a chance to win and be successful.

Fifita is a star player and he could go to a roosters, storm, etc. and improve their chances of winning it all, but he's not necessarily the star player that other players would come to his team for, because he's not really the deciding factor in winning or losing.

I don’t underestimate the pull he had and certainly agree that plenty of players have signed purely for Bennett in the past, but a lot has changed over the years. Now there is the lure of playing under Bellamy / at the super successful Storm, or Robinson at the Roosters. Even Penrith are forming quite an appealing destination if success is what you are after.

For the first few years at least, which will also most likely coincide with Bennett retiring; at best Redcliffe will be like the early Broncos. They won’t have premiership history to lure players. They will be trying to forge their own identity and build some success.

Honestly, if I’m a player in and around NRL teams right now, I’m not sure I would relocate my life just to play under Bennett for maybe a couple of years at a startup club. All things being equal, there are more appealing propositions, at least in my opinion.

If you asked me the same question about the 90’s and early 00’s Broncos though, for sure I would. They had the best coach in the ARL / NRL, a lot of the best players and the most success.

I think he's still got that pull tbh. He's just a coach players love and blokes just want to play for him. You only have to look at his last origin campaign. Dont disagree with you about Bellamy and Robinson though, success makes clubs attractive to players.

Also, the type of players the Phins will be looking at are going to mainly be Queenslanders. Plenty of them will be more than happy to return to QLD as most of them will have more family ties here.

And apparently he bought a ticket for his GF to the final, so I imagine that is the 100% increase. Maybe they have a kid? If so, there is your 200% increase.
No one has sex with Titans fans.

It's not really like that and it never has been.

The Broncos were founded on players who left other clubs. Disloyalty, if you like. And the clubs, themselves, show fickle degrees of loyalty in return. Again, the current Broncos, look at how many have been shoved out the door. But all clubs are the same. Like Souths and Reynolds.

Fifita, if anything, got the money he did because he did have a degree of loyalty to the Broncos. As he should've following the Bali fiasco. But that was confounded by a club that was in disarray - culminating in a wooden spoon and a coach being sacked mid term. He had the opportunity to flee a sinking ship but prevaricated because he did have some degree of loyalty/feeling of obligation. Fortuitously that prevarication led the Titans to push his bid to the point that he couldn't in good sense refuse it. Bearing in mind, the club bidding was actually his junior home turf and they had two massive guns in Meninga and Tallis wooing him. In contrast to Seibold and White, who are both deservedly history.

Loyalty would have to cut both ways, and none of us fans can say we want the club to be loyal to players we don't want.

Loyalty lumbers you with Alex Glenn past his prime. Disloyalty brings you Kurt Capewell. You can't have it every which way.

It's not really like that and it never has been.

The Broncos were founded on players who left other clubs. Disloyalty, if you like. And the clubs, themselves, show fickle degrees of loyalty in return. Again, the current Broncos, look at how many have been shoved out the door. But all clubs are the same. Like Souths and Reynolds.

Fifita, if anything, got the money he did because he did have a degree of loyalty to the Broncos. As he should've following the Bali fiasco. But that was confounded by a club that was in disarray - culminating in a wooden spoon and a coach being sacked mid term. He had the opportunity to flee a sinking ship but prevaricated because he did have some degree of loyalty/feeling of obligation. Fortuitously that prevarication led the Titans to push his bid to the point that he couldn't in good sense refuse it. Bearing in mind, the club bidding was actually his junior home turf and they had two massive guns in Meninga and Tallis wooing him. In contrast to Seibold and White, who are both deservedly history.

Loyalty would have to cut both ways, and none of us fans can say we want the club to be loyal to players we don't want.

Loyalty lumbers you with Alex Glenn past his prime. Disloyalty brings you Kurt Capewell. You can't have it every which way.
I think that's a glass half full debate really.

I mean did Kurt come here because he felt Penrith were being disloyal to him by preferrencing other player's salaries before his or, did he he move here because the coin was better, or he saw it as more of a challenge - he had after-all achieved his goal (winning a GF) with the Panthers?

I think that's a glass half full debate really.

I mean did Kurt come here because he felt Penrith were being disloyal to him by preferrencing other player's salaries before his or, did he he move here because the coin was better, or he saw it as more of a challenge - he had after-all achieved his goal (winning a GF) with the Panthers?
Kurt came for the job security. Penrith couldn't even afford to offer him a contract. Same as Souths with Reynolds in the end.

@holdzy
Yep, my kid plays against them and our club is a “feeder” for them which means they come down and poach our best players to play for them. A lot of the local league members really hate them. They also take money from our club for “reasons” and we have to have a dolphin on our kit.

it will be interesting to see how and if the feelings towards them change now that they are actually an NRL team.

Interesting, never knew about all the politics. I definitely had a a sense of the nepotism though - I was there with DCE for a few years around u9 or u10 or something. It was across all junior sports though where there were pathways to rep teams.

I do have a soft spot for them I guess, but I hope it's like the Cows for the first ten years as far as the Broncos go.

Brent Tate reckons the Dolphins need to reconsider dropping Redcliffe from their name. he says that they need to have an area to represent and a set location in their name ... whether that's Redcliffe or Moreton Bay or whatever the decide

**** Brent Tate.....

What...wot?

Redcliffe Dolphins is what it should be......

we have a new possible Dolphins team ... i think the media should stop putting figures to the names because it exposes how little they really know. i'm not going to post the team, but will link the article from Fox Sports.

some of the laughable figures, Fox sports predicted Dolphins salary for the players is in brackets :

Isaako (225k) being worth more than Herbie (200k) - P.s. this praise is what the said about Herbie, but then list him for a very small contract ... "The Broncos backline utility is on the rise. He took home the club’s Rookie of the Year honour in 2020 and backed it up with a really impressive season in the centres and won the Best Back award."

Harry Grant (650k) - if he leaves the Storm he'll get offers closer to $1 million

Anthony Milford (250k) - listed as the half back, lol. if he takes a further pay cut, it will prove once and for all that the guy is washed up, so you wouldn't want him as your halfback ... on the other hand if he plays well for Souths you won't get him for anywhere near 250k

Matt Lodge (350k) - I can't see you getting him for less than 500k

we have a new possible Dolphins team ... i think the media should stop putting figures to the names because it exposes how little they really know. i'm not going to post the team, but will link the article from Fox Sports.

some of the laughable figures, Fox sports predicted Dolphins salary for the players is in brackets :

Isaako (225k) being worth more than Herbie (200k) - P.s. this praise is what the said about Herbie, but then list him for a very small contract ... "The Broncos backline utility is on the rise. He took home the club’s Rookie of the Year honour in 2020 and backed it up with a really impressive season in the centres and won the Best Back award."

Harry Grant (650k) - if he leaves the Storm he'll get offers closer to $1 million

Anthony Milford (250k) - listed as the half back, lol. if he takes a further pay cut, it will prove once and for all that the guy is washed up, so you wouldn't want him as your halfback ... on the other hand if he plays well for Souths you won't get him for anywhere near 250k

Matt Lodge (350k) - I can't see you getting him for less than 500k
I saw that article as well and literally lol'd at the Herbie offer of $200k... he'd be close to on that already.

Then Lodge at $350k, just a cool $400k-$500k pay cut and Milf taking a pay cut on his already cut price deal... and then somehow Harry at $650k!!

Not to mention they keep spruiking about Ponga and having an option, but I thought they released an article like a month or so ago that Ponga's player option is only activated if knights win the comp or if he wants to go to the all blacks or something like that

Dolphins wanting to snub the broncos for a round 1 derby with the broncos requesting to play the roosters for a Arthur Beetson Cup, Politis is right behind it.

Thought one of the reasons to create this second Brisbane team is a make a 'Brisbane rivalry'

Dolphins wanting to snub the broncos for a round 1 derby with the broncos requesting to play the roosters for a Arthur Beetson Cup, Politis is right behind it.

Thought one of the reasons to create this second Brisbane team is a make a 'Brisbane rivalry'

It makes sense with Beetsons history with both clubs, but a QLD derby with the Broncos makes sense as well.

I don't think any backrower is capable of single handedly winning you games, that's always going to be the concern about signing backrowers on 1 million dollar contracts, even if they make 200 metres every week.. they still won't be the ones who execute the plays that get the points.

It was obviously a desperation signing for a club that has been desperately in a mess for a long time. I would say the real failure at the Titans would be Ash Taylor.
That's exactly the point. No backrower is worth the money, it throws out your salary cap. I cannot see the Titans being genuine title contenders while paying a backrower 1mill+
Spot on about Ca$h Taylor too.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Xzei
  • cento
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwi2
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.