The Dolphins discussion

Why is that only to do with ISC? That's the pathway, I said weeks ago that's their biggest strength you'll be able to play from U6 to NRL for the same club- no one else has that.
I still think the way WB was talking that he wasn't talking about ISC when he said "1st grade."

He was saying that you'll be able to play juniors right through to the NRL.
(NRL = 1st Grade)

over the last week or so Bennett has trotted out both schools of thought.

last week he trotted out the if you have a team of choirboys you won't win anything line (i think it was in response to a question about Munster)

however, in the press conference when asked about talent vs culture he said he'd always choose culture

so it's anyone's guess

Perhaps what he doesn't mention is that it's a culture of winning at all costs?

I still think the way WB was talking that he wasn't talking about ISC when he said "1st grade."

He was saying that you'll be able to play juniors right through to the NRL.
(NRL = 1st Grade)

Of course he was.

I'm not sold on the Moreton Bay name. I definitely think they need a location in the name, but has anybody ever actually said they are from or live in Moreton Bay?

Back when they amalgamated the Caboolture, Redcliffe and Pine rivers councils into MBRC people were joking they should call it CRAP (Caboolture, Redcliffe and Pine).

Crap Dolphins has a nice ring to it I think.
Lol, what.
I live in Moreton Bay Shire and often refer to myself as living in Moreton Bay Shire as do most people who live near me. It's been 10 odd years since the amalgamation.

I'd hate to lose Gamble but that makes sense. Munster and Milford as inaugural halves - I don't know if that's setting up the best on or off field culture, but that pairing wouldn't come as a shock.

I think the interesting thing to watch will be whether Bennett builds a team for longer-term culture and success, or whether he goes hard for that elusive final premiership. In recent years he's not been afraid to look the other way or roll out the 'boys will be boys, you don't want a team of choirboys' line when players have done some questionable things, so it wouldn't surprise me if he does look at talent first and pushes any red flags aside. He could put together a team of the best players available, but would they necessarily be the best players to build a team around? For me, that's the choice between the likes of Munster and Smith versus Welch and Grant. Hopefully he goes the former, and the latter think about coming to us...

The systems are already in place and will just get stronger now people know their son or daughter has a direct pathway to NRL. Bennett just has to keep that going and improve it slightly.

He doesn't have to do a lot there as Dolphins have proven over the last 40 years. The long term success is there.

He has to build an NRL squad that will want people to bring their kid there and stay there and have people want to come to games so commercially they're strong.

Munster will be exposed for the cockhead that he is once outside of the Melbourne childcare facility.
I know a number of people who grew up with him (well, they grew up).

Can confirm there is no debate.

Lol, what.
I live in Moreton Bay Shire and often refer to myself as living in Moreton Bay Shire as do most people who live near me. It's been 10 odd years since the amalgamation.
Fair enough. I'm the opposite. I either say I live on the Northside of Brisbane or the name of the suburb I'm in. I've never heard anybody I know say they live in Morton Bay shire, nor Morton Bay. 🤷‍♂️
If I'm travelling outside of Queensland I always say I'm from Brisbane.

Fair enough. I'm the opposite. I either say I live on the Northside of Brisbane or the name of the suburb I'm in. I've never heard anybody I know say they live in Morton Bay shire, nor Morton Bay. 🤷‍♂️
If I'm travelling outside of Queensland I always say I'm from Brisbane.
Those are all valid responses and I use all of those too, but I’m there are occasions when “Moreton bay” is the appropriate response. For eg “north lakes, where’s that?” “Moreton bay shire” 🤷🏻‍♀️

Lord Vlandys has rushed to the defence of the Dolphins in the naming drama.

Moreton Bay Mayor Peter Flannery took his fight direct to the NRL with a 1000 words letter.

the letter says:

“One week ago I would have said the Dolphins had an unbreakable relationship with our community and the deep respect of all levels of government,” Flannery wrote.

“So as the Mayor of Moreton Bay Region I hope you can appreciate my despair when the winner was announced, and Moreton Bay was not included in their title.

“Council strongly supports a name that reflects the club’s connection to the region, as a means of both ensuring its success at the NRL level and paying respect to its history.

“I am sure you have seen the considerable debate that followed the official announcement, with fans particularly vocal in their support for either maintaining the traditional ‘Redcliffe’ mantle, or adopting new ‘Moreton Bay’ branding, which is growing stronger daily.

“Over the past week, there has not been a single business meeting or community event I’ve attended where this issue hasn’t been raised.

“My community feels strongly about this, they feel betrayed and they worry that ‘The Dolphins’ would be an anomaly in the league as the only side without a place name in the team title.

“The people of Moreton Bay have been waiting 30 years for their chance to pull on the red and white of the mighty Moreton Bay Dolphins. It is my hope that their anxieties will be resolved by the end of 2021, so that we are all united to charge onto the field in 2023.”

the Lord and Saviour says:

“This is a dolphin in a teacup,” V’landys said.

“When the Dolphins made their bid it wasn’t for one area, it was for all of the north.

“Why would they confine themselves to a smaller area? They want to develop all over the Sunshine Coast.

“I think their strategy is the right one and we’re not going to involve ourselves in local politics.

“I can’t recall (the NRL banning a locality). We certainly wanted a bigger area, there’s no doubt about that. The games are being played at Suncorp Stadium so you want to get widespread tribalism and not confine it to one area.

“Their pitch was about the north and that’s what attracted us. They’re going to have all of that north area. I think their reasoning is the correct one.”

V’landys praised the Dolphins’ leadership for refusing to bow to public pressure.

“When they made the bid they made it for all the north and to the credit of the bid team, they have stuck to that and haven’t weakened,” he said.

“They’ve shown immense belief, character and leadership which is a great sign for the club. Lesser people would have capitulated.

“That augurs well for their success. If you have weak people in these positions you won’t have success. We agree with their strategy. It’s all about the north.”

Lord Vlandys has rushed to the defence of the Dolphins in the naming drama.

Moreton Bay Mayor Peter Flannery took his fight direct to the NRL with a 1000 words letter.

the letter says:

“One week ago I would have said the Dolphins had an unbreakable relationship with our community and the deep respect of all levels of government,” Flannery wrote.

“So as the Mayor of Moreton Bay Region I hope you can appreciate my despair when the winner was announced, and Moreton Bay was not included in their title.

“Council strongly supports a name that reflects the club’s connection to the region, as a means of both ensuring its success at the NRL level and paying respect to its history.

“I am sure you have seen the considerable debate that followed the official announcement, with fans particularly vocal in their support for either maintaining the traditional ‘Redcliffe’ mantle, or adopting new ‘Moreton Bay’ branding, which is growing stronger daily.

“Over the past week, there has not been a single business meeting or community event I’ve attended where this issue hasn’t been raised.

“My community feels strongly about this, they feel betrayed and they worry that ‘The Dolphins’ would be an anomaly in the league as the only side without a place name in the team title.

“The people of Moreton Bay have been waiting 30 years for their chance to pull on the red and white of the mighty Moreton Bay Dolphins. It is my hope that their anxieties will be resolved by the end of 2021, so that we are all united to charge onto the field in 2023.”

the Lord and Saviour says:

“This is a dolphin in a teacup,” V’landys said.

“When the Dolphins made their bid it wasn’t for one area, it was for all of the north.

“Why would they confine themselves to a smaller area? They want to develop all over the Sunshine Coast.

“I think their strategy is the right one and we’re not going to involve ourselves in local politics.

“I can’t recall (the NRL banning a locality). We certainly wanted a bigger area, there’s no doubt about that. The games are being played at Suncorp Stadium so you want to get widespread tribalism and not confine it to one area.

“Their pitch was about the north and that’s what attracted us. They’re going to have all of that north area. I think their reasoning is the correct one.”

V’landys praised the Dolphins’ leadership for refusing to bow to public pressure.

“When they made the bid they made it for all the north and to the credit of the bid team, they have stuck to that and haven’t weakened,” he said.

“They’ve shown immense belief, character and leadership which is a great sign for the club. Lesser people would have capitulated.

“That augurs well for their success. If you have weak people in these positions you won’t have success. We agree with their strategy. It’s all about the north.”
V’landys managed to say so much yet at the same time, so very little.

I personally couldn’t care less what they’re called, but if I was them or supported them, I’d be pissed at the NRL.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.