The Dolphins discussion

Only one sporting organisation could make the right decision for the wrong reasons and then proceed to totally stuff it all up. Vlandys has also once again shown himself to be terrible as a figure head for the game. Putting local businesses and government of side is a really dumb move.

“When they made the bid they made it for all the north and to the credit of the bid team, they have stuck to that and haven’t weakened,” he said.

“They’ve shown immense belief, character and leadership which is a great sign for the club. Lesser people would have capitulated." (PVL)

Lesser people???? WTF?

Leadership 101 = listen to the people....it's lesson 1 FFS

This guy has to be the biggest moron ever to set foot in NRL HQ, and there's been plenty!

Only one sporting organisation could make the right decision for the wrong reasons and then proceed to totally stuff it all up. Vlandys has also once again shown himself to be terrible as a figure head for the game. Putting local businesses and government of side is a really dumb move.
Not to mention he's just side stepping the whole thing with his not getting involved with local politics... mate you just put a team in an area, you sure as shit need to start backing them publicly and holding their hand through it.

Vlando:
"Welcome to the NRL... geez they look mad... good luck with that. When's my flight outta here again"

It's a strange ploy by the Phins. This no location bs doesn't stand up. Your based in an area, your going to be drawing talent in that area and you want fans and players to feel a connection to it. But your a National brand apparently despite your 70 odd year history of being based in one area.

This to me reeks of NFL bs, its a new franchise nothing more. If it fails in the bay region it allows the franchise to be moved. This is the truth to this deception and the reason behind the so called National brand. Just like in the NFL the Dolphins could be a Bay area team in 23 and a Perth team in 29.

This to me shows how afraid the league and the Dolphins are of the Broncos. They do not want to be locked in here. In my opinion this sets the team up for a fall. Its going to be a team of mercenaries, a travelling show. Skipping from one venue to another pretending to be the home team in Brisbane, Redcliffe and on the Sunshine coast. So off the bat the club has turned themselves into the Harlem Globetrotters, a no identity carnival act or the Rams or Charges, a pass around floozy franchise that can't pick and stick or generate an income in area. If this is the best the NRL can do with expansion they are kidding.

Maybe they’re just thinking ahead to when the NRL strips locations from all clubs

It's a strange ploy by the Phins. This no location bs doesn't stand up. Your based in an area, your going to be drawing talent in that area and you want fans and players to feel a connection to it. But your a National brand apparently despite your 70 odd year history of being based in one area.

This to me reeks of NFL bs, its a new franchise nothing more. If it fails in the bay region it allows the franchise to be moved. This is the truth to this deception and the reason behind the so called National brand. Just like in the NFL the Dolphins could be a Bay area team in 23 and a Perth team in 29.

This to me shows how afraid the league and the Dolphins are of the Broncos. They do not want to be locked in here. In my opinion this sets the team up for a fall. Its going to be a team of mercenaries, a travelling show. Skipping from one venue to another pretending to be the home team in Brisbane, Redcliffe and on the Sunshine coast. So off the bat the club has turned themselves into the Harlem Globetrotters, a no identity carnival act or the Rams or Charges, a pass around floozy franchise that can't pick and stick or generate an income in area. If this is the best the NRL can do with expansion they are kidding.

I cant agree with your sentiment that they will be a mercenary team. If they wanted something like that they had other options with less history in the game. Them playing on the sunshine coast is a smart ploy as its an area they will be targetting youngsters from, which will in turn help some of these kids stay in the area instead of ending up at the Storm. I just cant see why they would be afraid of Brisbane either. They are one of the best set up clubs to join the NRL with their infrastructure.

I'm still 100% positive they will add a location no matter what they are saying now. I think its just wrong to say they have no identity. Even if they dont add a location into their name, its not going to wipe out who they are as a club.

Having a location in the name is irrelevant. It’s the actions of the club over the next couple of years that will matter. Its about working hard at getting their club and brand heavily involved in the Sunshine Coast/north Brisbane communities. Sponsorship, advertising, school programs, junior footy etc, etc.

The mistake that was made was the comment about becoming a national brand. That shouldn’t have been mentioned at all, even if it is a long term strategy. They should have said something like, “Our intention behind ‘The Dolphins’ franchise, is that we don’t feel there is a specific regional name that really incorporates our vision for the greater Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast regions. As a club, we are confident that we will always be known for the communities we represent.” And just leave it at that.

There will still be those who will be upset, but it sounds a lot less like a rookie club that is already too far up it’s own ass.

Having a location in the name is irrelevant. It’s the actions of the club over the next couple of years that will matter. Its about working hard at getting their club and brand heavily involved in the Sunshine Coast/north Brisbane communities. Sponsorship, advertising, school programs, junior footy etc, etc.

The mistake that was made was the comment about becoming a national brand. That shouldn’t have been mentioned at all, even if it is a long term strategy. They should have said something like, “Our intention behind ‘The Dolphins’ franchise, is that we don’t feel there is a specific regional name that really incorporates our vision for the greater Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast regions. As a club, we are confident that we will always be known for the communities we represent.” And just leave it at that.

There will still be those who will be upset, but it sounds a lot less like a rookie club that is already too far up it’s own ass.

This is what happens when you have amateurs masquerading as professionals. I have no doubt the blame here lies with Vlandys and the NRL. Look at the way the rule changes and crackdowns have been handled - poor / No / confusing communication. As a result, everyone else is frustrated and left to deal with the fallout.

Vlandys himself is an absolutely terrible figurehead, he throws people under the bus, is confrontational and thinks he can do whatever he likes and everyone else needs to jump on or shut up but this isn’t the way the democratic world works.

Rugby league will continue because it is a great product but how well it continues will always be hampered until they get actual professionals in charge and given it is and likely always will be a boys club, I don’t see if happening.

Vlandys needs to come out and own his mistakes in messaging, claim that things have been taken out of context and that no decisions on location have been made and consultancy is ongoing. He’s too up himself and pig headed to realise this though and will just continue to tell everyone to suck it up and just make it work. It’s like he treats everyone like naughty little kids, he is an awful face of the game (literally and symbolically).

No doubt the 17th team was all about TV rights going forward. The fact News Corp / Channel 9 invested heavily in Redcliffe being that team suggests to me they will have a big say in naming rights like it or not.

I can live with the Moreton Bay Dolphins but they will always be the Redcliffe Dolphins to me.

Your quote on what they should have said having decided to go down this route is perfect. However, I can't agree on your point about a location in the name not being important. Yes they can do great work in the community and be visible and ever present within it, but the name is worth millions and millions and millions over the long term to the community. Die-hard nrl fans like people on this forum will know where they are from of course, but every time the name of the club gets mentioned in the sports bulletins it is advertising and representing the community to the wider public. Tourism, relocations, businesses based in the area.
The Redcliffe dolphins are known to league fans in qld and die-hards in other areas, but the vast majority of Australia does not know where they are located. The warriors have built their NZ identity up on the national stage via the nrl and they also would have received a very welcome reward from Vodafone for their name change I'm guessing.
Even something as simple as "Moreton bay-sunshine coast" within the logo would have sufficed. They are trying so hard to slip into brisbane more but I don't get why lol. The combined population of Sunshine coast and Moreton Bay is around 1 million and growing fast. They will end up like the west tigers. The broncos could do it because they were brisbane but just happened to represent all of qld bcos they were the only one in the nswrl and they were winning.
If the dolphins don't start winning and keep winning they will be shocked by their lack of popularity. With this decision and the way they have acted like they're better then their region means they lose the fans that will "stick by your local team rain, hail or shine"...

I hear from a reliable source in real estate that Wayne Bennett bought a house in the expensive end of Redcliffe 4 months ago.

Make of that what you will with only being made official this last week...

I hear from a reliable source in real estate that Wayne Bennett bought a house in the expensive end of Redcliffe 4 months ago.

Make of that what you will with only being made official this last week...

Not really that surprising... every man and his dog has known 2 things for a long time.

1. Redcliffe was a shoe-in to win the licence, the NRL was just humouring the other bids for appearances sake

2. Wayne Bennett was going to be the coach.

Wayne probably owns about 50 houses all over the place anyways.

As for a local stadium, the vacant land adjacent Rothwell Station is about the same size as where a Robina/Townsville/Parramatta style development sits on, except the power lines hamper that. A slight realignment of Stubbins Rd and would also fit up next to Anzac Ave.

I guarantee that by R1 2023 the Dolphins will have a name be it Moreton Bay or other.

Take your crazy thinking to the conspiracy thread mate......
😉

I’m honestly starting to wonder if all of this is actually a cleverly constructed marketing campaign to get everyone talking about the Dolphins, triggering tribalism and controversy to keep the new club in the headlines.

If it wasn't NRL related, it would be a possibility. However being NRL related, they just aren't this smart.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Broncs1459
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.