The Dolphins discussion

They said today they'd have a first singing by the end of the week.

It was pointed out to me that it has only been three weeks and what deal takes less than three weeks ever and probably more relevant when you're selling a product no one has seen and also players aren't back at training yet to tell their current team mates so they haven't been able to make any announcements without disrespecting the player who of course might want to tell his team first that's he's leaving in 23.

Makes some sense.

It was pointed out to me that it has only been three weeks and what deal takes less than three weeks ever and probably more relevant when you're selling a product no one has seen and also players aren't back at training yet to tell their current team mates so they haven't been able to make any announcements without disrespecting the player who of course might want to tell his team first that's he's leaving in 23.

Makes some sense.

Except that we see deals "done" the day a player is allowed to agree to terms with other clubs, so even if it does take a while to get the details sorted, these can easily be done prior to the window and signed off on almost immediately when the window opens. It would be naïve to think that they weren't trying to talk to players (or their managers) the moment their bid was successful, that's been a lot more than 3 weeks now.

Makes some sense.
Patty Carrigan?

Except that we see deals "done" the day a player is allowed to agree to terms with other clubs, so even if it does take a while to get the details sorted, these can easily be done prior to the window and signed off on almost immediately when the window opens. It would be naïve to think that they weren't trying to talk to players (or their managers) the moment their bid was successful, that's been a lot more than 3 weeks now.

They only got the go ahead in mid October and did a coach and recruitment first ready to go first of November.

I don't think they're too far off the pace. See what they come up with in the next week.

Here are my 2023 Phins signing predictions:

Highly likely:
Wallace
Opacic
Milford
Oates

likely:
B Smith
Isaako
S O’Sullivan
Lodge
Horsburgh
Ese ese
Josh McGuire
Sami

Possible:
Carrigan
Farnworth
Nikorima
Turpin
Bird
T Sims
Hunt

Something like:

1. Isaako (??)
2. Oates
3. Opacic
4. Sami
5. Farbworth
6. Milford
7. O’Sullivan/Nikorima / Hunt
8. Lodge
9. Smith
10. Carrigan
11. ??
12. Sims
13. Bird

14. Turpin
15. Wallace
16,17. Ese ese / McGuire / Horsburgh

Here are my 2023 Phins signing predictions:

Highly likely:
Wallace
Opacic
Milford
Oates

likely:
B Smith
Isaako
S O’Sullivan
Lodge
Horsburgh
Ese ese
Josh McGuire
Sami

Possible:
Carrigan
Farnworth
Nikorima
Turpin
Bird
T Sims
Hunt

Something like:

1. Isaako (??)
2. Oates
3. Opacic
4. Sami
5. Farbworth
6. Milford
7. O’Sullivan/Nikorima / Hunt
8. Lodge
9. Smith
10. Carrigan
11. ??
12. Sims
13. Bird

14. Turpin
15. Wallace
16,17. Ese ese / McGuire / Horsburgh

16 of those players current or ex Broncos...

16 of those players current or ex Broncos...
Yeah a lot of ex broncos off contract purely by chance plus i think Queensland players are more likely to be signed or willing to move to Brisbane - and much like staff, if you are targeting Queenslanders there’s a high chance they’ve been involved with the broncos at some point.

Yeah a lot of ex broncos off contract purely by chance plus i think Queensland players are more likely to be signed or willing to move to Brisbane - and much like staff, if you are targeting Queenslanders there’s a high chance they’ve been involved with the broncos at some point.
Yes its not hard to join the dots really......

I wonder how desperate they would be getting after missing out on Tino

It's all well and good to say they've got all year but at the same time, clubs aren't stupid.. they know Redcliffe is on the prowl and they are working fast to secure their big name players

Get ready for the Dolphins to announce some signings ... Dobbo reckons that in the next 3 days the Dolphins will make some announcements that will be "very favourable" to Dolphins fans

next 2 days now, he said this yesterday

If Dobbo is on the money you would think it would have to be 1 of Smith or Paulo or both to warrant as being "very favourable". If Dolphins were waiting out Paulo's cooling off period they might be a bit nervous now that parra have scope to throw more money at him...

Isaako would eventually be a given if Dolphins are interested at all...must be pretty obvious to him by now he is way down our pecking order of backs and i cant see Kevvie fighting to keep him.

If Dobbo is on the money you would think it would have to be 1 of Smith or Paulo or both to warrant as being "very favourable". If Dolphins were waiting out Paulo's cooling off period they might be a bit nervous now that parra have scope to throw more money at him...

Isaako would eventually be a given if Dolphins are interested at all...must be pretty obvious to him by now he is way down our pecking order of backs and i cant see Kevvie fighting to keep him.
Isaako won’t be at the broncos past this current contract and I suspect the only thing that may keep him here for the last year of his contract if if he can’t get a deal to leave early (eg signs with Dolphins).

He’ll be alright. He’ll just be another Hoffman, Kahu, Copley, Winterstien type outside back that gets moved around as a versatile cheap outside back option. Might even end up back here at 30 like they seem to do.

He’ll be alright. He’ll just be another Hoffman, Kahu, Copley, Winterstien type outside back that gets moved around as a versatile cheap outside back option. Might even end up back here at 30 like they seem to do.
Bit harsh on Winterstein in that list, he ended up having a pretty enviable career, 2 GF's with 1 win, world club challenge win, over 200 games and retired due to injury as opposed to be forced out or not renewed...guessing he is pretty fondly remembered by Cow fans vs. the other 3 in the list.

Agree with the forecast for Isaako though...

Bit harsh on Winterstein in that list, he ended up having a pretty enviable career, 2 GF's with 1 win, world club challenge win, over 200 games and retired due to injury as opposed to be forced out or not renewed...guessing he is pretty fondly remembered by Cow fans vs. the other 3 in the list.

Agree with the forecast for Isaako though...

That was in a team with Thurston and peak Taumololo, any half decent winger would've prospered

That was in a team with Thurston and peak Taumololo, any half decent winger would've prospered
Dangerous blanket theory, i guess Hancock/Carne/Sailor/Tuqiri were carried by Langer and Lazarus/Webke?

Not the point anyway, Winterstein doesnt belong in the same company as Copley/Kahu/Hoffman for mine who also had the opportunity to shine with good players around them but never managed it on a consistent basis.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • jd87
  • Mustafur
  • Brocko
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • Culhwch
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Harry Sack
  • TimWhatley
  • Stix
  • Johnny92
  • Fitzy
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.