The Dolphins discussion

TBH...in today's immediate gratification world......

its fair enough to say.

Might be reading a bit too much into old Waynes comments, but he's pretty much saying what i've been thinking they will do. Just get a solid, competitive side for 2023 ( even if they lose a fair few games ) and push for some better targets when the market is a bit better in 2024. I dont think a 2023 without many wins will hurt them as long as they arent getting tanked every week.

Just on a side note, I've got a sneaking feeling we will see Jai Arrow there in 2024.

I'm quite sure when the Brisbane Broncos first kicked off...Wayne felt no different to how he's now about to kick off the Redcliffe Dolphins.

A successful season will see that more games are won than lost....that combinations are staring to gel.
The hopefuls, are rising and falling.

I'm quite sure when the Brisbane Broncos first kicked off...Wayne felt no different to how he's now about to kick off the Redcliffe Dolphins.

A successful season will see that more games are won than lost....that combinations are staring to gel.
The hopefuls, are rising and falling.

I think we had a much better group of talent to call on than the Phins. Matterson, Johns, Lewis, Miles, Alf was a great base to work from.

I think we had a much better group of talent to call on than the Phins. Matterson, Johns, Lewis, Miles, Alf was a great base to work from.
I remember this era well. The big question was always whether they could do it week in, week out for a whole season. Turns out they couldn’t.

I remember this era well. The big question was always whether they could do it week in, week out for a whole season. Turns out they couldn’t.
Of those named only Matterson and Johns had any NSWRL experience(Johns was a regular first grader, Matterson had about 10 games total in 3 seasons with the Rorters. Majority of the Broncos players were from the Brisbane competition). Alf had played state of origin but was still very young and developing(Alf himself has said he knew the club were looking to lure Des Hasler to the club). Lewis and Miles were marquee players no doubt but they were also starting to enter the backend of their careers and as good as the BRL competition was they had to adjust to the higher demands of the NSWRL competition. Both still played outstanding football for the Broncos(and with regards to Wally injury pretty much ruined his 1990 season, he was never the same afterwards, people have this mentality Lewis couldn't make it in the sydney competition, but he was outstanding in 1988 and 1989 and he was playing like a man possessed early 1990 before a horror run of injuries).

Broncos didn't really get hardcore with fitness and weights until 1990 when Kelvin Giles was introduced to the club, for a lot of the players it was a whole new side of the game they were being introduced to. The results were reflected that very same season and should have been in 1991 as well(what a frustrating season that was, but it would prove to be worth the wait for 1992 and 1993).

Blake Austin linked to a return to the NRL with the Dolphins

I think blokes like him, depending on who else they sign would be fine on a 12 month deal. Can think of better options though to bring back to the NRL like Sezer and Widdop.

I think blokes like him, depending on who else they sign would be fine on a 12 month deal. Can think of better options though to bring back to the NRL like Sezer and Widdop.
Widdop is way too old and broken but agree on Sezer.

Widdop is way too old and broken but agree on Sezer.
Widdop has actually been ok in super league. Think he only missed 4 or 5 games, but he isnt getting any younger. Will be 34 when the Dolphins kick off. Still think he could be a good signing if he holds up next year, but i wouldnt be going over 12 months for him.

The reality of it is that the Dolphins will get linked with every player looking for a contract

I wouldn't think that Wayne would be looking at a 34 year old unless that player was going to play the Benji Marshall role for a bit of depth

Adaquix Luke, the son of Issac Luke has signed with The Dolphins for 3yrs.

He’s young so they’re going to have a hell of a team in 2030.
Good for them, I would be trumpeting every signing... Seems like it may be a very hard thing to form a squad from scratch and the Dolphins aren't going to be the Broncos V2, at least early on..

That name... Adaquix, must mean something significant in Maori I guess?

Good for them, I would be trumpeting every signing... Seems like it may be a very hard thing to form a squad from scratch and the Dolphins aren't going to be the Broncos V2, at least early on..

I think it means barely makes the grade. Or just measures up.

It’s a combination of Luke’s 2 favourite historical figures: Adolf Hitler and Don Quixote

It’s a combination of Luke’s 2 favourite historical figures: Adolf Hitler and Don Quixote
:)

I gave the benefit of the doubt.

At first I was thinking some combination of Asterix and Obelix? But my brain folded as that would both be weird and hard to reconcile with anything bogan... confused.

Maybe he was asking someone Named Ada for the name?

"Whats the boys name? Ada, quick!"

I really hope they do well, I'm fond of the QLD teams and this one will be a lot closer than NQ or The Coast..

Seems like you just can't buy a good spine these days though.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Manofoneway
  • Porthoz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Robboi_321
  • marw
  • Big Del
  • Hoof Hearted
  • TimWhatley
  • Nerd
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Fozz
  • RodF
  • Behold
  • Financeguy
  • Broncorob
  • Aldo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brocko
  • lynx000
... and 47 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.