The Dolphins discussion

Right? I've seen this thrown up a couple of times with Milf being named to partner Munster as the game managing 7....did we not provide enough evidence that this would be a bad idea? Stubborn old Benny I guess

Benny screwed up Milf (and yes, Milf contributed to that himself plenty) but he will never admit it. He said when he returned that if he got it right, Milf would be a legend. Well...Milf is not a legend.

Badel is reporting that Bennett wants to lure Fifita to the Dolphins in 2024.

Badel saying that Fifita's position at the Titans will become "untenable" unless Holbrook can get him firing on a consistent basis. Also saying that Holbrook's handling of Fifita has been "shambolic"

Finally saying that New Corp "understands" that Fifita has reached out to Bennett for advice

Here are Bennett's quotes on Fifita and a number of other topics:

On Fifita

“It’s not my job to coach other players at other clubs, but I have a lot of respect for Dave,” said Bennett, who tried to sign Fifita to South Sydney last year.

“If he is on the market, yes, I would be interested in David Fifita.

“You can’t walk away from quality players, but he isn’t on the market just yet, so we will have to wait.

“I know what a wonderful player that he can be.”

Asked what advice he would give to Fifita if he was his coach now, a taciturn Bennett said with his trademark crooked grin: “I’m not coaching him, so I’m not giving him any advice.

“It’s just not happening for him right now. It’s up to him and his coach at the Titans to work it out.”

On the Munster Threat

“We are quite comfortable with our position,” Bennett said.

“The NRL haven’t told us we have broken any rules, they are the governing body, so we will continue doing what we are doing.

“I’m not unconfident (of signing Munster), but we are still in the process of talking to Melbourne and finding out what his future is there.

“I just like what Munster brings. You can see what he brings every week in the NRL. He is a pretty consistent player.

“He would be a great fit for us, but I have to wait and see now. One thing about Cam is he’s the guy who is laughing, because he has plenty of offers and plenty of opportunity.

“I’m not surprised the Broncos are linked with him. We are all looking for quality players and if he is on the market, you want to be in for him. The Broncos are looking after their interests.

“I like Cameron’s character. It’s good to be around him.”

On The Ponga Showdown

Asked if regretted his honesty with Ponga, Bennett said: “No I don’t.

“I don’t disagree with anything he (Ponga) said.

“What I said was between me and him and I will leave it there, but it was a tough meeting for him though.”

On Saving Milford

“We are interested in Anthony Milford,” he said. “He has gone to Newcastle now and they will be keen to retain him, so that will be an issue for us.

“We got the best out of Anthony at the Broncos. Jason Demetriou (former Broncos assistant) was involved there with me and Steve Kearney also helped with Milford, he played some great footy for us.

“We all know what he brings but he needs a change of scenery. I feel for what he has gone through, it’s been over the top (his treatment by the NRL), but he has a dateline now where he can start playing and hopefully he can get on with his life.

On The NRL Grand Final

“I have always been a believer that the NRL grand final should stay in Sydney,” Bennett said.

“I love Suncorp and all that about Queensland, but I believe it should stay in Sydney.

“It’s the heartland of the game.

“Even when we were playing in Brisbane before the Broncos, Sydney was the grand final everyone looked forward to.

“They have made it a pretty special event down there, so it’s just the right thing to do for someone who has been in the game a long time.

“If you are a young kid growing up and you want to play in a grand final, you want to go to Sydney and be in that moment.

“Sydney is the right place for the NRL grand final.”

On Duck and Dive

“The game has to be stronger with diving in my opinion,” he said.

“The pressure is put back on the game but the coaches can be stronger, too, encouraging their players not to dive.

“The problem is not all coaches are on that page - then the game has to step in.

“It’s like the doctor in the bunker, the doctor is in the bunker because the game isn’t strong enough to stand up to teams themselves.

“If you don’t accept diving as a part of your DNA as a team, then there’s a pretty good chance your players won’t do it.”

On Old Man Dolphins

“There is criticism that we haven’t signed anyone, there is criticism about Dad’s Army and there will be criticism about something else in the future,” he said.

“My position on that is if you start listening to the fans, you will be sitting with them. I know what we are doing. We are confident in what we are doing and no-one will distract me personally from doing what I think is the best thing for the club.

“What’s hard about this job? I love what I do. What’s hard about getting up and talking to players every day? It’s not hard. The poor guys out there working in the sun with a pick and shovel, that’s hard.

“There are plenty of stories ahead for the Dolphins. The best is yet to come.”

Fox Sports are reporting that the Dolphins are interested in Daine Laurie. The Tigers have yet to make him an extension offer (he can sign with rivals on Nov 1)

Their preference is Stephen Crichton though

Fox Sports are reporting that the Dolphins are interested in Daine Laurie. The Tigers have yet to make him an extension offer (he can sign with rivals on Nov 1)

Their preference is Stephen Crichton though

Dolphins or Tigers' preference?

Dolphins apparently want Stephen Crichton as their fullback ... if they can't get him they're apparently interested in Laurie
The Crichton stuff is all from Read (or maybe Riccio??) and it was purely...

"Panthers have To'o, May and Crichton off contract and will struggle keeping them all, especially with Dolphins needing to fill up the roster.

I think they'll go Crichton... they'll want him as their fullback"

And that was pretty much it to start off a brand spanking new rumour

Dolphins add some more depth in JJ Collins and Ryan Jackson.

Jackson is somebody who really impressed me in MM last year. In a well beaten team, he was causing Tweed Heads all sorts in the middle and was just dragging players with him. I'd never heard of him before and was more familiar with a lot of the other props, but I thought he was head and shoulders the best that afternoon.

Dolphins add some more depth in JJ Collins and Ryan Jackson.

Jackson is somebody who really impressed me in MM last year. In a well beaten team, he was causing Tweed Heads all sorts in the middle and was just dragging players with him. I'd never heard of him before and was more familiar with a lot of the other props, but I thought he was head and shoulders the best that afternoon.
I'm sure you made mention of him a few weeks ago. So Benny has snaffled him. One to watch in the future.

I mentioned it in another thread, but if the Foran to Titans thing goes through, could Redclife look at bringing in somebody like Mitchell Pearce? They'd be the only Queensland team without a veteran halfback otherwise. We have Reynolds and the Cowboys have Townsend.

That could allow Bennett to build some younger guys in the rest of the spine and give them a big 3 of their own when he leaves, instead of a dumpster fire.

I mentioned it in another thread, but if the Foran to Titans thing goes through, could Redclife look at bringing in somebody like Mitchell Pearce? They'd be the only Queensland team without a veteran halfback otherwise. We have Reynolds and the Cowboys have Townsend.

That could allow Bennett to build some younger guys in the rest of the spine and give them a big 3 of their own when he leaves, instead of a dumpster fire.
I don’t think so. Bennett has previously been pretty open about no wanting Pearce.

If I had to guess it will be

6. Milford
7. SoS

And they’ll aim for a Munster in 2024

I don’t think so. Bennett has previously been pretty open about no wanting Pearce.

If I had to guess it will be

6. Milford
7. SoS

And they’ll aim for a Munster in 2024
A halves pairing of Munster and Milford would be crap. Milford will be forced to play an unnatural, organising role again. Why would Bennett do that to him again? That seriously can't be the plan.

That's fair enough, but it does have a "Spot the difference" feel about it when the media inevitably start comparing them all.

Pearce could also be that signing that gets them the other players on their wishlist over the line though. I couldn't see Crichton going to Redcliffe without help after what Burton walked into at Canterbury.

A halves pairing of Munster and Milford would be crap. Milford will be forced to play an unnatural, organising role again. Why would Bennett do that to him again? That seriously can't be the plan.
I’m not saying it’s a good idea haha

Bennett has publicly said he is interested in both Munster and Milford. Unless Munster is going to be fullback i get the impression he still thinks Milly can be a 7.

Certain people won’t like hearing this, but there would be enough good players for a 17th and 18th team if we fixed the reserve grade competitions in my opinion.

Having the next strongest tier competition actually available would build players better.

Was thinking about the improbability of both of them being at the club.....what would WB do

I thought the Milf#7 would be it......which wouldn't be ideal for the reasons you mention. I think Milford's playing fullback days are passed him.
Who have the Dolphins got as an organiser.....no-one at the minute(?)

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Morkel
  • Organix
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Foordy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Brocko
  • Harry Sack
  • Johnny92
  • Fatboy
  • Mr Fourex
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncos4life
  • Nerd
  • Shane Tronc
  • Browny
  • Waynesaurus
  • bazza
  • Fozz
  • Broncosgirl
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.