NEWS Reece Walsh to save QLD

1.25mil per season?! Lunacy, let him go.
If he goes to the All Blacks - and who could blame him - he'll have a few years of the kind of international glory you won't get in the NRL, but once that's over he'll be back at a Broncos' feeder club on minimum wage, trying to regain the fitness and skills he lost, waiting for an injury.

Reece is off contract end of 2022 so the R&R team should be off their asses right now discussing a 12 month extension as minimum to keep the vultures away... but let's assume the mediocrity of brisbane's back office continues and have a look at the contenders shall we...

• Broncos - Fullback spot is wide open, we have cash, he doesn't have to move and his mates in Piakura, Coates and Dearden are all here (and should also be priority signings for the broncos)
  • Bulldogs - zero chance... have possible fullbacks in JAC, Allan & Cotric taking up $1.5M... they can't spend anymore cash on outside backs
  • Cowboys - low chance... they have Val and Hammer... hell if they do go for Walsh then we should go after Hammer
  • Raiders - CNK on the books so Walsh would be an improvement... but it's a hard location to attract Australian players unless they're looking for an opportunity, which is not going to be the case for Walsh
  • Sharks - Will probably have a sniff. Moylan likely gone (too much money and injury prone... also hearing they want to move him into 6) & Kennedy looks nothing special. Have heard Tracey might be lined up as fullback this year and they also used Metcalf in their first trial who looked pretty good. I think sharks have a serious rebuild on their hands though and I wouldn't really think it is an attractive place to go to start your career
  • Titans - Mal has jumped in and claimed the Emerald product is as Gold Coast as a sleeve tattoo and fake tits, but I can't see how they can compete with us cash wise. Brimson is due a major upgrade and would have to be in their minds as the long term fullback. Petey B will definitely flag titans as a contender for the outrage clicks, but we can and should outbid them.
  • Sea Eagles - Turbo... zero chance
  • Storm - Paps... zero chance
  • Warriors - Have a few juniors coming through who will compete for the fullback spot with RTS moving on, but is NZ really all that attractive to a qld kid that can pick whichever club he wants to play at
  • Knights - Ponga... zero chance (they could suggest moving KP to 6, but I just don't think he's a half). They might have a sniff
  • Eels - Gutho... low chance unless Gutho's form starts falling off a cliff. They have a huge junior catchment so I'd expect them to find a new fullback from within.
  • Panthers - zero chance... Pretty sure Crichton or Staines are flagged as their next fullback
  • Rabbitohs - Latrell will still be under contract when Walsh comes off contract so seems unlikely... but they could have a sniff I guess
  • Dragons - They'll have some cash, but I think it will be awhile before dragons start looking like a competitive team again... they will have a sniff, but they're team is shit and Bhunt is taking up a shit ton of cap until the end of 2023
  • Roosters - Have Teddy who will be getting a little older by 2023 (30yr when Walsh is off contract)... he would be under contract, but medical retirement and an amateur golfing career at the Bondi local golf club can never be off the cards down there. Will probably get dragged in by Petey B for outrage clicks
  • Tigers - They can't even poach Sydney players so I think they'll struggle to get a qld product with the NRL at his feet. Will be identified as a possible location even though they went all out for Laurie
So in summary the likely bidders are
Broncos
Titans (for outrage)
Cowboys (maybe)
Warriors
Knights
Dragons
Tigers
Roosters (because they always have to have the next shiny thing)

Broncos should be in discussion to upgrade Reece's 2022 contract (he's likely going to be the starting FB anyway) and extend it into 2023. By the end of next year he'll likely have been our starting fullback for a year (after serving a 1yr apprenticeship in ISC this year) and we will have a decent idea if he's on the path to being elite, at which point we can use our huge amount of cap space to lock down a long term spine player with a big juicy 4-5yr deal
Yeah let’s be real titans aren’t gonna get rid of Brimson for Walsh at this rate, same goes for knights with ponga... cowboys don’t need a fullback... warriors, dragons and Tigers are not threatening what so ever and Roosters have Teddy to be succeeded by Suallii so they already got the next shiny thing

Yeah let’s be real titans aren’t gonna get rid of Brimson for Walsh at this rate, same goes for knights with ponga... cowboys don’t need a fullback... warriors, dragons and Tigers are not threatening what so ever and Roosters have Teddy to be succeeded by Suallii so they already got the next shiny thing
Forgot about Suallii, but this is the prime time to lock Walsh down.

Most teams have fullback sorted, except us... we should use this to our advantage and lock him down.

Upgrade his 2022 contract and extend to 2023... 4-5yr contract halfway through next year pending how he's going as our starting fullback.

Most teams have fullback sorted, except us... we should use this to our advantage and lock him down.

Upgrade his 2022 contract and extend to 2023... 4-5yr contract halfway through next year pending how he's going as our starting fullback.
Teams can’t even approach him until November. Give him half a season against men before extending him, and if he does make an NRL debut and continues to kill it, sure chuck a 3 year deal his way.

Teams can’t even approach him until November. Give him half a season against men before extending him, and if he does make an NRL debut and continues to kill it, sure chuck a 3 year deal his way.
They can talk to him, but he can't sign a contract until November.

That same approach is what we do now and is working so well with Fifita, Staggs, Coates, Dearden and Piakura.

Also worked well with Milf letting his contract dwindle down to the final 12 months before offering a 4yr $1m contract. Lodge, Offa, Turpin, Oates, etc. were all in the final year of their contract before we scrambled around and gave them a contract, which most of the time was overs

Good teams identify the talent and lock them down before letting them become available to the market... Upgrading his 2022 contract to a starter salary and extending for a further 12 months is minimal risk for a guy that has basically been identified as the starting fullback as early as next year.

We should've done the same for Piakura the second Fifita walked out the door... we literally have 2 second rowers on the books in Glenn and Riki. Glenn is likely retired next year (or re-signed out of desperation) and Riki is unproven (and was also a middle forward coming through). Oates is now being transitioned to a second rower out of desperation, and Bullemor is a middle forward who should be spending the year in ISC.

Everyone knows Piakura will be the starting left second rower next year when Glenn goes, he may even take it this year... so why not lock him down on starter cash with an extension to give us a bit of time scout him out... and by starter cash I mean $300k or so.

We have a shit load of cap space for 2022 onwards... if it's known these young guys are going to be the starters next year if not this year then why not lock them down.

Last edited:
They can talk to him, but he can't sign a contract until November.

That same approach is what we do now and is working so well with Fifita, Staggs, Coates, Dearden and Piakura.

Also worked well with Milf letting his contract dwindle down to the final 12 months before offering a 4yr $1m contract. Lodge, Offa, Turpin, Oates, etc. were all in the final year of their contract before we scrambled around and gave them a contract, which most of the time was overs

Good teams identify the talent and lock them down before letting them become available to the market... Upgrading his 2022 contract to a starter salary and extending for a further 12 months is minimal risk for a guy that has basically been identified as the starting fullback as early as next year.

We should've done the same for Piakura the second Fifita walked out the door... we literally have 2 second rowers on the books in Glenn and Riki. Glenn is likely retired next year (or re-signed out of desperation) and Riki is unproven (and was also a middle forward coming through). Oates is now being transitioned to a second rower out of desperation, and Bullemor is a middle forward who should be spending the year in ISC.

Everyone knows Piakura will be the starting left second rower next year when Glenn goes, he may even take it this year... so why not lock him down on starter cash with an extension to give us a bit of time scout him out... and by starter cash I mean $300k or so.

We have a shit load of cap space for 2022 onwards... if it's known these young guys are going to be the starters next year if not this year then why not lock them down.
Maybe I misread. I entirely agree with extending him at some point well before November for a further 12 months to hold of the vultures and then look to further extend it if he continues his trajectory. I thought the post was saying we should rush to give him a 4 year deal.

Last edited:
Maybe I misread. I entirely agree with extending him at some point well before November for a further 12 months to hold of the vultures and then look to further extend it if he continues his trajectory. I thought the post was saying we should rush to give him a 4 year deal.
Nah, but he needs to be extended to 2023 at some point this year to protect from the vultures whilst every other team is pretty well sorted for fullback.

This year I'd want him playing a full year of ISC... and look to upgrade his current 2022 contract to a starter/top 30 + extend it to end of 2023

In 2022 he's likely the starting fullback... at that point we would've seen him playing a full year of ISC and can see how he's going in NRL. If he's killing it then look to extend on a 4yr deal or so

Last edited:

Oh yeah I wasn’t disagreeing with you at all I actually really agreed I just was stating that on this occasion their really isn’t that much threat from other clubs

If you watch Reece Walsh’s interview after the game... two things that make that performance so much better... 1. First game in 16 months and 2. That’s the first time he has ever played against grown men.... I’m sorry but some of you are skeptic so that might have been a one off, I highly doubt that

If you watch Reece Walsh’s interview after the game... two things that make that performance so much better... 1. First game in 16 months and 2. That’s the first time he has ever played against grown men.... I’m sorry but some of you are skeptic so that might have been a one off, I highly doubt that

The screen grab I posted here - do watch it on the video - this is the guy he jersey slung. No kid:

He is going to be something really special.

Can he debut before he's 18?

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • Galah
  • BroncosAlways
  • Financeguy
  • broncsgoat
  • BruiserMk1
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • jd87
  • Organix
  • Dash
  • RolledOates
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Sproj
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.