NEWS Reece Walsh sells his soul to Warriors. No big deal.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The brightest playmaking talent to come to Red Hill since Darren Lockyer has been lost to the Warriors in a bidding war leaving the Broncos standing around with their dicks in their hands wondering what went wrong. What went wrong is the Warriors offered him $400,000 a year and he accepted it, despite the Broncos promising the No.1 position next year.

Broncos Interim CEO Neil Monaghan:

“Reece is a talented young player with much potential and we are disappointed to lose him.
He is yet to play senior football but we were keen to have him stay, however the offer from the Warriors was too good to refuse for a player of his experience. We wish Reece all the best and look forward to him finishing out this year with us.”

H665f8b0f80e4221add42a8dfdbe93950

Standout player of the trials, but not good enough to keep

Walsh said:

I’ve played league my whole life. I started at four playing for the Nerang Roosters and I just love it. My mum is from New Zealand and my dad has Aboriginal in him, so I guess I’m eligible for the Kiwis. There’s a bit of rivalry in the family. Mum wants me to play for the Kiwis but dad says no way, you are an Aussie. I’d love to get in touch with that New Zealand culture.”

Scott Sattler said:

“Reece Walsh is going to be an NRL sensation. He is the closest thing I have seen to Billy Slater. He has amazing speed and blinding acceleration and a similar running style to Billy. I first saw Reece playing for Keebra Park when he was 15. He just had this beautiful deception and awareness for the game. He didn’t mind contact and he covers a lot of territory at the back. Returning the ball, he would pick up top speed in three or four metres. Karmichael Hunt made his debut at 17 for the Broncos and he had some amazing attributes, but I reckon Reece has more at the same age. He is a fully-fledged fullback and I believe he is good enough to be playing NRL this year.”

Warriors CEO Cameron George describes Walsh as “one of the hottest talents in the game:"

“This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term. Reece is a wonderful, polite young man who impressed us immensely when we met him. He comes to the Vodafone Warriors at the perfect time following us re-signing Tohu (Harris). We now have an exciting future with experience and exciting young players developed from within and others that have been handpicked to join us. It’s a great statement for our club.”

McHunt

Last edited:
This sounds worse and worse for the Broncs every minute. 600k, fair enough let him walk. 400k? Goodness we probably could have kept him for 325! If this figure is correct, this is hard to argue it isn't another screw up.

This sounds worse and worse for the Broncs every minute. 600k, fair enough let him walk. 400k? Goodness we probably could have kept him for 325! If this figure is correct, this is hard to argue it isn't another screw up.

@1910 reckons 500k ... he probably knows more than Badel who would just be making figures up depending how the mood sways him today

Disagree. The kid should be in first grade now. We've really fucked the goose here.

putting a kid straight from schoolboys footy into the NRL ... yep, that'll get us off the bottom of the ladder 🙄

it'll also kill his confidence when Broncos fans turn on him for not being an instant success

Last edited:
@1910 reckons 500k ... he probably knows more than Badel who would just be making figures up depending how the mood sways him today

Even if it is somewhere in the middle. It seems unlikely he would have left if we went to 350k. It is what it is and I'm not going to spiral into negativity over it but it does seem like it could well be yet another poor decision. I don't know, maybe we are just becoming used to it all.

Even if it is somewhere in the middle. It seems unlikely he would have left if we went to 350k. It is what it is and I'm not going to spiral into negativity over it but it does seem like it could well be yet another poor decision. I don't know, maybe we are just becoming used to it all.

people want to believe he wouldn't have left if we offered him 150k less than the Warriors (who also happen to have a guaranteed fullback spot open next year)

but this isn't 20 years ago

people want to believe he wouldn't have left if we offered him 150k less than the Warriors (who also happen to have a guaranteed fullback spot open next year)

but this isn't 20 years ago

I doubt 500k is the figure, it is likely 450. And yes, I do think a 100k less would be enough as he can play for the club he wants to play for and not have to leave home. This isn't a ridiculous Titans offer here that is 4-500k more than anyone would even think about offering.

I doubt 500k is the figure, it is likely 450. And yes, I do think a 100k less would be enough as he can play for the club he wants to play for and not have to leave home. This isn't a ridiculous Titans offer here that is 4-500k more than anyone would even think about offering.

I know you want to believe 1910's wrong and it is only 450k ... because that way you get to keep your long held belief that we fucked up (at least if Walsh would have accepted 100k less to play for us)

but who's to say that if 1910 is wrong it isn't the other way and closer to the long time rumour of 600k (especially given they'll have RTS's money to spend)

correction, the monumental **** up would have been matching the massive overs that the Warriors paid to get a kid who has never even played reserve grade footy
I'm glad the Broncos have shown a back bone. Things will not turn around quickly. Just wrapped we drew a line in the sand. If he wants that coin for being completely unproven, he wasn't going in the same direction as us. I don't want mercenaries at this club. Reece has shown he's a sell sword. Wrong attitude. Would have been a mistake to sign him

Last edited:
It's also a three year deal, and doesn't start until next year when he's had a year in reserve grade. Presumably Walters won't train him or pick him now, which is an extra waste of our money. 450k probably won't sound so much in his second and third years there. Compared to what we're paying some of our bozos.

I know you want to believe 1910's wrong and it is only 450k ... because that way you get to keep your long held belief that we fucked up (at least if Walsh would have accepted 100k less to play for us)

but who's to say that if 1910 is wrong it isn't the other way and closer to the long time rumour of 600k (especially given they'll have RTS's money to spend)

Look it could be and to be perfectly honest, I am trying to be fair about this. I've already said, if it was 600k, it is a win to the Broncos. If it is 500k, still likely a win. 450k and under, it is pretty much a stuff up by the Broncs. I can't be clearer or fairer than that. I'm just saying that going by media reports (and yes I know they can't be trusted), the number is 400-450. IF that is the case, I reckon the Broncs could have kept him or a 100k less and if so, it seems another stuff up, particularly if they were not willing to budge on 250k.

I don't know what the amount was and I don't know how to be clearer or fairer than that.

I'm glad the Broncos have shown a back bone. Things will not turn around quickly. Just wrapped we have drew a line in the sand. If he wants that coin for being completely unproven, he wasn't going in the same direction as us. I don't want mercenaries at this club. Reece has shown he's a sell sword. Wrong attitude. Would have been a mistake to sign him
But I presume you're okay with someone selling their sword from another club to join the Broncos?

But I presume you're okay with someone selling their sword from another club to join the Broncos?
Key word, "proven". Been a while since that term has been used in recruitment. We prefer throwing money at penny stocks...

Key word, "proven". Been a while since that term has been used in recruitment. We prefer throwing money at penny stocks...
You mean like Bird, Lodge, Milford, Boyd, Barba etc?

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Bish
  • Skathen
  • Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.