Refereeing Attitudes

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
I've been watching the way the Rugby refs have been speaking and interacting with players, it makes the NRL look amateurish and Neanderthal like.

They don't tolerate the players blowing up and communicate clearly both ways. The way the discuss decisions with the TMO is the way the NRL should have gone instead of passing the buck to the video ref

To add to that Browny, they're also not in the habit of deciding when to give penalties based on a) the score line, or b) how it might affect the game. Commit a foul, penalty (usually!).

Also, sinbins and sendoffs happen, unlike our gutless system.

I'm impressed with the way they blow a penalty for an obstruction straight away . They don't let play continue to see if a try is scored then get the video ref to look at it ,they just give the penalty

Two way street. Refs have to pick up their game IMO, some decisions have been farcical. Hopefully the bunker system can assist in this respect.

Players undoubtedly need to have more respect though. If the ruling goes against you, tough. Roll up your sleeves and make a difference on the next play.

2014 they were supposed to only be approached during breaks in play. That went out the window and should be reinstated, as should the use of numbers not names.

Also, five minute sin bin would help, provided they were judicious in it's use. Would cut down on foul play, and the threat thereof would keep players in line.

Last edited:
They sin bin for cynical offences ie professional fouls. Cuts out the crap

I think the biggest problem with our referees is the bloody media. If the refs actually do make a call then a large number of media people put the boot in and blame them for affecting the outcome of a game. Short of locking up the Gynge and Murdoch in a dungeon somewhere I don't have any solution for this though.

I would really really like to see the players referred to by their number, with the captain being "captain" and the referee addressed as "sir." And if any player other than the catain speaks to the officials they get warned, and sin binned if they do it again. I still recall an incident during an origin game, Qld had just scored and Hayne came rushing in to the ref screaming at the top of his lungs "fucking check it! Fucking check it!" over and over again, getting in the refs face. He should have been warned or sent off for that, but see my first point re: media.

Two way street. Refs have to pick up their game IMO, some decisions have been farcical. Hopefully the bunker system can assist in this respect.

Players undoubtedly need to have more respect though. If the ruling goes against you, tough. Roll up your sleeves and make a difference on the next play.

2014 they were supposed to only be approached during breaks in play. That went out the window and should be reinstated, as should the use of numbers not names.

Also, five minute sin bin would help, provided they were judicious in it's use. Would cut down on foul play, and the threat thereof would keep players in line.

Oh it will, no doubt! Greenberg has said it will reduce video ref errors to ZERO

It must be true :)

The entire organisation is a joke, it's only to be expected that the refs of our game would be a joke too.

This thread makes me glad this is a Broncos forum..

If we had Bulldogs fans on here, this thread would be 4 pages long already. Claims that the refs are against them etc...

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Volvo Driver
  • Brotherdu
  • Johnny92
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Organix
  • Strop
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mustafur
  • Mighty Bronx
  • broncsgoat
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Midean
  • Justwin
  • RodF
  • LittleDavey
  • Nerd
... and 62 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.