REFS named for game 3 - difference of a tantrum

Any of em. All the NSW Stewarts, Stuarts are all the same. :D

Why? Because they got it wrong?

yep, and also the way they handled it. basically just brushing off the fact that anasta got punched in the face, which last i heard, was not allowed. why not reverse the decision? its happened hundreds of times before.

yep, and also the way they handled it. basically just brushing off the fact that anasta got punched in the face, which last i heard, was not allowed. why not reverse the decision? its happened hundreds of times before.

And? I don't disagree with you, but I STRONGLY disagree with your idiotic suggestion that that means the referee no longer deserves to be treated with respect.

What is it with rugby league, its captains, its coaches, its journalists and its fans that it so degrades the authority of officials? It's insane.

They make mistakes. They're human. Let it go.

SECTION 15
PLAYER’S MISCONDUCT
Definition of Misconduct

1. A player is guilty of misconduct if he:
(a) trips, kicks or strikes another player.

(b) when effecting or attempting to effect a tackle
makes contact with the head or neck of an
opponent intentionally, recklessly or carelessly.

(c) drops knees first on to an opponent who is on the
ground
(d) uses any dangerous throw when effecting a
tackle.
(e) deliberately and continuously breaks the Laws of
the Game.

(f) uses offensive or obscene language.

NOTES Any of the above offences are considered to be legal if the receiving player is Braith Anasta

Last edited:
Gal

And? I don't disagree with you, but I STRONGLY disagree with your idiotic suggestion that that means the referee no longer deserves to be treated with respect.

What is it with rugby league, its captains, its coaches, its journalists and its fans that it so degrades the authority of officials? It's insane.

They make mistakes. They're human. Let it go.

they do make mistakes, but one like that shouldnt happen. they made a call, watched a dozen replays, then STILL chose not to award the penalty to the roosters even after sin binning the guy who punched Anasta. how does that work? he gets sin binned, noone from the roosters does, yet they get the penalty? absolutely ridiculous call.

the referee didnt deserve respect once hed done that. it showed he had no respect for the players or the game, so why should he be respected?

also, anasta didnt call him any names or use foul language, he just said hes off his head - which going by the ruling, he must have been.

in one of our oztag matches a few weeks back, the referee awarded a try to our opposition after, get this, their guy jumped to catch a wayward pass, hit it forwards into our player who knocked it forwards (so a knock on from our guy too) and the opposition player then caught it and went through to score. the referee awarded a try because, by his own words, "your player played at it so its not a knock-on". does he still deserve respect? the guy who "scored" even admitted that he knocked it on, yet the referee wanted no part in it, and then proceeded to threaten to send me off when i asked him if he was kidding.

he didnt deserve respect once he'd shown that he had no respect for the rules and no respect for me.

just because youre a referee doesnt mean you deserve respect regardless of your performance or how you handle yourself.

Yes, he still deserves respect, even the guy with the mistake in your oztag game. Because without referees we have no sport. Attacking and confronting referees verbally never ever gets a good result.

On one occasion I had an incident like that. Guy lost the ball backwards, teammate in front picked it up and ran through a gap to score, I penalised him for being offside. All the players blew up, I explained my decision, they argued that being a knock back meant he couldn't be offside. I said "that's what I've ruled, tap here, get on with the game".

After the game the captain shook my hand, and again raised the issue. He asked about the ruling, again going through it step by step. My response? "I'll be honest, I ****ed up. I got it wrong". The match was a draw. Did he blow up? No. He laughed and said "ah well, at least you admit it", shook my hand again and it was done with.

For one thing, social oztag is just that. It's social. Players are generally low skill, referees are hard to come by and get paid a pittance just for doing so. You'll get mistakes, you'll get overreactions by players, referees, it happens.

When you're copping heat from multiple players over a decision you're not going to just change your mind, and if players keep going at you then yes, you're going to threaten to escalate it. From the sounds of it, it, like mine, was a bad call.

So what?

Yes, you do still absolutely have to show the referee respect.

Even Matt Cecchin after blunder upon blunder in the Roosters-Broncos game still deserved to be treated with respect by the players. In the NRL if you make blunders that monumental you'll get dropped, as was shown.

In Oztag, generally they're flat out getting enough referees to cover the game, so the best you can hope for is that the referee will self appraise and/or seek advice from other referees about how he handled the situation. I know that's what I did whenever I had a situation where I made a tough call and it resulted in a lot of heat.

I think the only time a referee forfeits his right to respect is when he uses offensive language or behaviour towards a player.

t

he didnt deserve respect once he'd shown that he had no respect for the rules and no respect for me.

Generally you get respect if you give it no matter what you're doing.

I know, let's ask the Morcombes if you deserve respect.

Generally you get respect if you give it no matter what you're doing.

I know, let's ask the Morcombes if you deserve respect.

You get respect if you give it? In a perfect world for sure. Not this world though.

What do the morcombes have to do with anything? Oh I get it, you're baiting. Where's that report button...

Not baiting at all, simply making my point with a very real example.

041295 paul gallen

haha.. you gotta love it.

Quote from Mal:

"Meninga wrote in his Sunday Mail column: "Have we cost ourselves key judgments because our captain and his team carry the internal discipline and maturity to not erupt at match officials with abuse and profanity when a tough call doesn't go their way?"

other comments in the article:

"Former Maroons and Test captain Darren Lockyer believes Gallen lost his cool in Game One, headlined by the Blues skipper calling Greg Inglis a "f--- idiot" as he argued with officials over the Maroons ace's controversial match-winning try."

and

""The Blues are becoming like John McEnroe, carrying on about every bad call," former Maroons enforcer Sam Backo said.

"They've sooked about the referees, put players on media bans and wanted meetings ... fair dinkum, just cop it sweet and get on with it.

"How many times do you see Gallen blowing up about the referees' decision? Queensland don't protest.

"We don't whinge. We just accept it and move on.""

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ma...hingeing-at-refs/story-fndv2twz-1226415035651

I'm a little disappointed in this because it didn't need to be said. NSW are guilty of all the things in the article but it was obvious and we have taken a step in the same direction.

Not baiting at all, simply making my point with a very real example.

How do you figure that exactly? The morcombes have 2 10ths of f#%k all to do with this, or respect in general. It's baiting, pure and simple.

You want to play dumb that's fine, we'll leave it there.

The issue has been raised with the admin team and has been discussed. No more discussion on what is and isn't baiting. Back on topic, please.

ill quote that post next time i get done for "baiting". thanks for the heads up that its now allowed.

You want to play dumb that's fine, we'll leave it there.
im not playing dumb, i genuinely want to know what the morcombes, people who have never met me or had any interaction with me whatsoever, have to do with the topic at hand. the fact that i think theyre money grabbing opportunists has nothing to do with respecting referees.

on the topic, unfortunately im expecting the refs to ref like they did in origin 2 - ie. let nsw do whatever they want.

Last edited:
I'm expecting the same AP, just hope it doesn't get too bad.

I don't know Dexter, I think it's good for it to come out in general public.. at least it's all true as opposed to the rubbish NSW come up with (without any facts). Even Mal was wondering where they come up with most of the crap they publish.

Active Now

• theshed
  • Cavalo
  • Organix
  • broncsgoat
  • GCBRONCO
  • kman
  • eggstar10
  • Santa
  • Old Mate
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncorob
  • Johnny92
  • Brocko
  • Justwin
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Xzei
  • Strop
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.