Religion and Politics

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
  • Staff
I thought it was time for a BHQ religion discussion.

I'm mainly concerned with Catholics, and their hate for science and love for stupid ideas that simply can't have occured. Ever. But I'd like to hear any religious nuts give their point of view.

Also. I think a Royal Commission is well in order for the Church. They touch boys which means they're gay pedos.

Also. If you plan on posting. Don't get all sad if someone doesn't agree with your opinion on a subject.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
I'm not really going to get involved in this thread, so all I'm gonna say is don't generalise.

A loud minority doesn't speak for a quite majority.

subsbligh

NRL Captain
I thought it was time for a BHQ religion discussion.

I'm mainly concerned with Catholics, and their hate for science and love for stupid ideas that simply can't have occured. Ever. But I'd like to hear any religious nuts give their point of view.

Also. I think a Royal Commission is well in order for the Church. They touch boys which means they're gay pedos.

Also. If you plan on posting. Don't get all sad if someone doesn't agree with your opinion on a subject.
Do you mean Catholics, or Christians generally with respect to their "stupid ideas"?

A Royal Commission is a toothless tiger. Its conclusion, after $$millions spent would be something along the lines of "there is evidence to probably suggest systemic cover-ups of certain incidents that happened 60 years ago, and to which time has eroded and distorted much".

The Catholic Church is a group to which membership is voluntary. Employing some of the liberal ideas you mention in your post, if you don't like what may or may not have been covered up in the church, don't be a member.

Full disclosure - I'm christened Catholic, brought up in Catholic schools but not a practicing Catholic (despite the fact that I was married in a Catholic church, and will probably have my son baptised in a Catholic church, almost conpletely to please the grandparents and particular schools that I want him to go to).

I also think the whole "priests must be male , can't get married or have sex with women" is totally unnatural and not required. It's more unnatural than wearing a burkha Bankstown in summer. The Anglican church seems to be a lot more progressive on this stuff (women priests, marriage etc).

The genuine message of the Bible that is buried under thousands of years of political unrest and straight out strange ceremony is to love your neighbor as you love yourself; treat others how you want to be treated, and I think that is a pretty good core value to aspire to.

subsbligh

NRL Captain
They touch boys which means they're gay pedos.
I think that's a little offensive and a bit discriminatory of homosexuals (which I'm sure would be against the code of conduct of this site you're supposed to be monitoring).

Are all pedophiles homosexual, or are you saying that pedophiles' whose victims are female are ok?

Coxy

International Captain
And those core values form the very basis of our society and our justice system. So it's one thing to be critical of the church as an institution, and religion as a modern concept, but don't underestimate the importance of religion in the evolution of civilisation.

Without it I think we'd not have got through the dark ages and into the renaissance.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
I think that's a little offensive and a bit discriminatory of homosexuals (which I'm sure would be against the code of conduct of this site you're supposed to be monitoring).

Are all pedophiles homosexual, or are you saying that pedophiles' whose victims are female are ok?

Well considering the vast majority of cases from this joke of an organisation are young boys, I think my comment is if anything, an over generalisation.

If my comment can be (and I don't think it can be, maybe at a stretch) be interpreted as having a go at gay people, then I apologise. It's most certainly not.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
Do you mean Catholics, or Christians generally with respect to their "stupid ideas"?

A Royal Commission is a toothless tiger. Its conclusion, after $$millions spent would be something along the lines of "there is evidence to probably suggest systemic cover-ups of certain incidents that happened 60 years ago, and to which time has eroded and distorted much".

The Catholic Church is a group to which membership is voluntary. Employing some of the liberal ideas you mention in your post, if you don't like what may or may not have been covered up in the church, don't be a member.

Full disclosure - I'm christened Catholic, brought up in Catholic schools but not a practicing Catholic (despite the fact that I was married in a Catholic church, and will probably have my son baptised in a Catholic church, almost conpletely to please the grandparents and particular schools that I want him to go to).

I also think the whole "priests must be male , can't get married or have sex with women" is totally unnatural and not required. It's more unnatural than wearing a burkha Bankstown in summer. The Anglican church seems to be a lot more progressive on this stuff (women priests, marriage etc).

The genuine message of the Bible that is buried under thousands of years of political unrest and straight out strange ceremony is to love your neighbor as you love yourself; treat others how you want to be treated, and I think that is a pretty good core value to aspire to.
I mean Christians to be very general, but I find the Catholic church followers to be the worst of the worst. A lot of people are in the same boat as you, and I applaud those who practice the message, rather than the so called 'laws' of the church.

It's those people I would love to hear from, if a few exist. You know, the ones who completely and utterly disregard any credible science. They usually don't believe in dinosaurs too.

This thread stems from an argument I had recently with one of these hardcore Catholics. So I'm genuinely interested to hear what people really think about their religion.

But I still think something needs to be done about the church. It doesn't matter if it was 60 years ago. Who's to say it's not happening now?

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Cyberspace
They touch boys which means they're gay pedos.

That doesn't mean that they are gay.

If a heterosexual man sexually abuses a boy, it doesn't make him homosexual. It makes him a pedophile in addition to being heterosexual.

If a homosexual man sexually abuses a girl, it doesn't make him heterosexual, but rather a pedophile in addition to being homosexual.

subsbligh

NRL Captain
I mean Christians to be very general, but I find the Catholic church followers to be the worst of the worst. A lot of people are in the same boat as you, and I applaud those who practice the message, rather than the so called 'laws' of the church.

It's those people I would love to hear from, if a few exist. You know, the ones who completely and utterly disregard any credible science. They usually don't believe in dinosaurs too.

This thread stems from an argument I had recently with one of these hardcore Catholics. So I'm genuinely interested to hear what people really think about their religion.

But I still think something needs to be done about the church. It doesn't matter if it was 60 years ago. Who's to say it's not happening now?
I used to work with a happy clapper that was also studying molecular biology or dentistry or something incredibly science based, I can't remember now.

I think his reasoning went along the lines of science is the study of "what is" and through logic, empirical testing and proof.

No one has proved the theory of evolution, just as no one has proved the existence (or not) of God.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
Actually I think you'll find DNA does indeed prove evolution. It shouldn't be up to science to prove god doesn't exist.

subsbligh

NRL Captain
I believe in God. I also believe in evolution.
I don't think this is a stupid statement, though inherent in it is the assumption that the human transcribing of God's word is wrong (which I agree is entirely plausible and probable).

Otherwise how do you reconcile a literal reading of the bible with evolution

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
North Brisbane
The problem being that you start to be fed religious doctrine when you are very young and your brain is still soft so you generally believe everything your parents, and other mature people you trust tell you. So as far back as you remember, you have been taught, and you believe, that as long as you believe in Jesus, go to Church and say sorry for being a human, all the bad things you do will be forgiven and you don't have to worry about what happens after you die. It's not easy to snap out of.

If a person was raised in our society without religion and at the age of 18 were given the Bible to read from cover to cover and report back to you with their opinion, I would be very surprised if many people didn't laugh at how absurd it is. Sure, parts about loving your neighbor and turning the other cheek are great. But then we're told homosexuality is an abomination to be punished by death in the same book which provides Gods very own instructions for buying slaves.

The last time I attended Church was about 4 weeks ago for a Christening. The Church is Anglican, and the one I attended as a child and adolescent. The sermon was based on the passage Matthew 18:3: 'Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.' The Priest tried to explain to the congregation that this, of course, wasn't meant literally (much like most of the Bible, what a coincidence) but instead means that for you to be able to accept something you can't comprehend, you need to have the implicit trusting nature of a child. False. It's because Children are idiots and will believe what they are told by people they know are smarter than them, hence Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

The point I'm trying to make is, I think you're oversimplifying the affiliation people have with the Church. Just 'leaving' is impractical for some people because that means they face being ostracised by their community and possibly even their family.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.