Religion and Politics

soup

State of Origin Rep
First tell me why this personally offended you and if you believe in free speech?
I believe in respectful and compassionate speech. Free speech is a minefield as has been perfectly illustrated via thousands of hate-speech inspired suicides over the years.

soup

State of Origin Rep
But for the record, I don’t believe in heaven or hell, and I was an alter boy in a Catholic Church for seven years.

I believe you live on in people’s memories, and the way Folau is going, he’ll be living in hell.

roo-ted

NRL Player
I believe in respectful and compassionate speech. Free speech is a minefield as has been perfectly illustrated via thousands of hate-speech inspired suicides over the years.
Like I said earlier I believe he used the wrong platform and the message wasn’t constructive or needed. The main thing I’m standing for is freedom of speech, especially when it comes to religion. I believe that Christians and other views need to have a healthy respect for each other’s views and try to have understanding for one another

soup

State of Origin Rep
Like I said earlier I believe he used the wrong platform and the message wasn’t constructive or needed. The main thing I’m standing for is freedom of speech, especially when it comes to religion. I believe that Christians and other views need to have a healthy respect for each other’s views and try to have understanding for one another
I whole-heartedly agree in premise,but can’t help but think your agenda is otherwise. Your question re homosexuals seems exceptionally loaded.

roo-ted

NRL Player
Let's just clear it up now, what are your thoughts on homosexuals?

Forget free speech, this is just hate speech.
My thoughts on homosexuality is quite simple. I judge a person by their character alone. I actually have a close gay friend who attend my Christian wedding with his boyfriend, he knows my beliefs and I respect his free will to choose his lifestyle

soup

State of Origin Rep
STAFF WARNING.

I will be moving the relevant posts here shortly. The Religion thread is indeed locked for now because we have learned from experience how quickly a topic as loaded as this can bring out the best & worst in people.

We implore posters to keep the discussion civil, on-topic, do not make personal attacks, and most importantly, respect that not everyone shares the same values.

Posts that ignore these rules will be removed and further action may be taken if necessary.
One of the most exceptional qualities of this site is that we can intellectually discuss politically or socially charged paradigms and quandaries outside of rugby league, bettering our community with mutual understanding, and hopefully compassion.

I hope we can still enable this in a supportive environment.

Socnorb

NRL Captain
First tell me why this personally offended you and if you believe in free speech?
That's like saying "we've always been able to be bigoted and discriminatory , and now we can't"? Personally I could'nt care less what footballers / Folau say. But don't doubt that this is a political statement, at the behest of himself or from someone pulling his strings.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep
As I posted above regarding the beautiful Dolly (rip), I fear free-speech in the context of the internet as people say things they may not say to each other’s face. FFS, I’ve even been guilty of it. I worry for my children.

roo-ted

NRL Player
I whole-heartedly agree in premise,but can’t help but think your agenda is otherwise. Your question re homosexuals seems exceptionally loaded.
I think the main thing that rubs me up the wrong way is when one side is being protected while the other side is being ridiculed over similar faults.

soup

State of Origin Rep
I think the main thing that rubs me up the wrong way is when one side is being protected while the other side is being ridiculed over similar faults.
I couldn’t disagree more. That’s like calling the bully the victim.

roo-ted

NRL Player
I couldn’t disagree more. That’s like calling the bully the victim.
No that’s not what I’m getting at. What I’m getting at is, before criticism, you must be critical of yourself. Just like I’ve pointed out that there is faults in Izzy’s statement. Both sides need to be carefully considered

bb_gun

NRL Player
My thoughts on homosexuality is quite simple. I judge a person by their character alone. I actually have a close gay friend who attend my Christian wedding with his boyfriend, he knows my beliefs and I respect his free will to choose his lifestyle
So you have no issue with an influential figurehead condemning them to an "afterlife" of misery? I'm all for free beliefs but I draw the line at broadcasting that to others.

He definitely should have known better imo.

soup

State of Origin Rep
No that’s not what I’m getting at. What I’m getting at is, before criticism, you must be critical of yourself. Just like I’ve pointed out that there is faults in Izzy’s statement. Both sides need to be carefully considered
Or just allowed to be left to live with love in their hearts, without idiots chastising or condemning them to their concepts of ‘hell’. Simple as that, no?

soup

State of Origin Rep
So you have no issue with an influential figurehead condemning them to an "afterlife" of misery? I'm all for free beliefs but I draw the line at broadcasting that to others.

He definitely should have known better imo.
Exactly right. This reeks of someone saying, “I have a black friend” when revoking the accusation of racism.

roo-ted

NRL Player
Well put yourself in your friends shoes.
I love my mate and it’s not for me to judge him and I never have. I don’t want to get to biblical but in the bible Jesus actually demonstrates that he wants Christians to be in the world but not of it. There is a story of a prostitute who is about to be stoned to death, he stepped in and said he who has not sinned cast the first stone. I do believe that this attitude has fallen away from a lot of Christians and i get as pissed off as the next bloke

soup

State of Origin Rep
I love my mate and it’s not for me to judge him and I never have. I don’t want to get to biblical but in the bible Jesus actually demonstrates that he wants Christians to be in the world but not of it. There is a story of a prostitute who is about to be stoned to death, he stepped in and said he who has not sinned cast the first stone. I do believe that this attitude has fallen away from a lot of Christians and i get as pissed off as the next bloke
Mary Magdelin, right? His one true love?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter