Religion and Politics

soup

State of Origin Rep
Why do you think prostitution has been illegal? Possibly faith interfering with law?

bb_gun

NRL Player
I love my mate and it’s not for me to judge him and I never have. I don’t want to get to biblical but in the bible Jesus actually demonstrates that he wants Christians to be in the world but not of it. There is a story of a prostitute who is about to be stoned to death, he stepped in and said he who has not sinned cast the first stone. I do believe that this attitude has fallen away from a lot of Christians and i get as pissed off as the next bloke
Homosexuality is deemed an abomination in the Bible. It isn't. Quoting it doesn't look good for your current stance. If you love your mate you should hate the Bible.

roo-ted

NRL Player
Exactly right. This reeks of someone saying, “I have a black friend” when revoking the accusation of racism.
I’m not after anyone’s approval I’m just being honest with you and I sure don’t need to use the “have a black friend” tactic. It might surprise you that their are Christians out there that are as judgmental as most you have come across.

soup

State of Origin Rep
Why do you think prostitution has been illegal? Possibly faith interfering with law?
To further this point, what was the driving force behind homosexuality being a criminal offence until 1997?

Do all Christians really “have love down deep in in their hearts”? (Old Catholic hymn).

soup

State of Origin Rep
I’m not after anyone’s approval I’m just being honest with you and I sure don’t need to use the “have a black friend” tactic. It might surprise you that their are Christians out there that are as judgmental as most you have come across.
Haha, it certainly doesn’t surprise me. It also doesn’t surprise me that there are people of all denominations (or none) that are equally divisive.

The key is love; religion even dictates this.

I’d go as far as saying that Origin brings out the worst in many of us, hating simply due to geographic location.

Last edited:

roo-ted

NRL Player
Homosexuality is deemed an abomination in the Bible. It isn't. Quoting it doesn't look good for your current stance. If you love your mate you should hate the Bible.
At the end of the day he is God’s child and I have no right to judge him. His lifestyle choices are up to him. I have faults of my own like everyone else. Not to get biblical again but there is a part in the bible that speaks about judging others it says don’t point out the speck in your brothers eye when you have a log in your own. I don’t see homosexuality as more of a sin than ring judgemental for instance

roo-ted

NRL Player
To further this point, what was the driving force behind homosexuality being a criminal offence until 1997?

Do all Christians really “have love down deep in in their hearts”? (Old Catholic hymn).
I’m not involved in politics neither are any Christians I know so I can’t really answer that one.

soup

State of Origin Rep
At the end of the day he is God’s child and I have no right to judge him. His lifestyle choices are up to him. I have faults of my own like everyone else. Not to get biblical again but there is a part in the bible that speaks about judging others it says don’t point out the speck in your brothers eye when you have a log in your own. I don’t see homosexuality as more of a sin than ring judgemental for instance
It is no sin at all, except for a man-made concept that is religion. No different to money or time itself; all man-made concepts.

I do get what you are saying in essence though. No judgement is the way to go. I applaud you for that.

Socnorb

NRL Captain
If everyone were like you then no one would have any issues.

bb_gun

NRL Player
When you say log do you mean turd?

roo-ted

NRL Player
It is no sin at all, except for a man-made concept that is religion. No different to money or time itself; all man-made concepts.

I do get what you are saying in essence though. No judgement is the way to go. I applaud you for that.
And that is your view which I respect. I hope you get to meet a down to earth none judgmental Christian one day and your views towards Christians are softened

roo-ted

NRL Player
So you have no issue with an influential figurehead condemning them to an "afterlife" of misery? I'm all for free beliefs but I draw the line at broadcasting that to others.

He definitely should have known better imo.
If you live as an individual people are only influential if you allow them to be. No man should be condemning anyone to hell in my opinion. The thing that is confusing me is why are people that don’t believe in hell so offended by saying someone is going to hell?

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
I love my mate and it’s not for me to judge him and I never have. I don’t want to get to biblical but in the bible Jesus actually demonstrates that he wants Christians to be in the world but not of it. There is a story of a prostitute who is about to be stoned to death, he stepped in and said he who has not sinned cast the first stone. I do believe that this attitude has fallen away from a lot of Christians and i get as pissed off as the next bloke
The problem is you quote the bible but only the bits you like. It's a dreadful compilation full of hate with some decent bits sprinkled around. I'm sure you don't endorse slavery and no doubt have some apologetic rubbish about indentured servitude but it clearly and unequivocally endorses slavery.

It even has instructions on how to trick your slaves into lifetime slavery and instructions about the sale of your slaves. It has a section on your rights to hand your servants to children labelling them as possessions. It calls the man who sleeps and impregnates his daughters 'honourable'. Even in the new testament there's no clarification about slavery and tells slaves to obey their masters, even the cruel and unjust ones!

It's an abomination and the loving god is exactly the same as a Mafioso boss. There's nothing in that putrid compilation that you cannot get elsewhere. Typically christians quote it when it suits and blithely ignore the monstrous instructions littered everywhere. It's indefensible and that's why most thinking christians make no defense of its dreadful guidance.

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
I thought it was time for a BHQ religion discussion.

I'm mainly concerned with Catholics, and their hate for science and love for stupid ideas that simply can't have occured. Ever. But I'd like to hear any religious nuts give their point of view.

Also. I think a Royal Commission is well in order for the Church. They touch boys which means they're gay pedos.

Also. If you plan on posting. Don't get all sad if someone doesn't agree with your opinion on a subject.
I feel so connected to you right now. It’s like you are finally being honest with me. ❤

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
WTF. I somehow got shunted into this thread and was actually interested in an argument from 7 years ago. **** these changes to the site it’s half past twelve for fucks sake.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
All those who continued this discussion in the previous thread after a staff warning to get back on track will have warnings issued shortly.

It's time staff warnings in threads started being followed again. And for the multi reporter, you can't report 5 posts and keep being involved in the bloody discussion.

Dash

NRL Player
Brisbane
If you live as an individual people are only influential if you allow them to be. No man should be condemning anyone to hell in my opinion. The thing that is confusing me is why are people that don’t believe in hell so offended by saying someone is going to hell?
People aren't concerned about the concept of hell or the possibility of anyone going there. They are concerned about the effect hateful rhetoric has on those who struggle with or because of their sexuality. Young people are killing themselves because of this kind of thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter