Religion and Politics

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Regularly praises God on his instagram. Joe O is also deeply religious. Payne Haas is a muslim. You would be surprised at the number of players in our team that hold some religious belief.
I understand that, but I would be disappointed if they went around telling ppl to repent or they would go to hell. Folau was tolerated in RU because he was 3x better than anyone else in Australia.

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
North Brisbane
I understand that, but I would be disappointed if they went around telling ppl to repent or they would go to hell. Folau was tolerated in RU because he was 3x better than anyone else in Australia.
lol union is so cooked in Australia. I guess this is a post more suited to the credit thread...

I love my mate and it’s not for me to judge him and I never have. I don’t want to get to biblical but in the bible Jesus actually demonstrates that he wants Christians to be in the world but not of it. There is a story of a prostitute who is about to be stoned to death, he stepped in and said he who has not sinned cast the first stone. I do believe that this attitude has fallen away from a lot of Christians and i get as pissed off as the next bloke
That was in the 2nd version right? Because nothing says omnipotent, all powerful being like having to edit and re-evaluate his work, have you read the entire 2 books?.....
"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, she must be silent."Timothy 2:12
“In the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.” (Romans 1:27)
That's just 2 of the verses (and definitely not the worst). There's also verses about killing babies, punishing your slaves who should remain obedient, torching entire cities...
The difference is your friend is not BELIEVING he is gay, he IS gay. The greatest step religion ever took to ensure its preservation in modern society was to make it offensive to be questioned. If someone said to you they believed in the Harry Potter books and started chopping off snakes heads would you question it? Suicide bombing does not warrant questioning and condemning? (btw this is done by Christians as well). What about the millions of African people who died from aids because they were told by Christian missionaries and the church that condoms were evil? The crusades didn't need to be condemmed?
All of these things needed to be challenged and condemned in history. Otherwise we'd still be burning witches, thinking people were possessed when they had a seizure, and people like your friend would have been stoned to death. If religion doesn't want itself to be questioned stop teaching it to children and stop giving claim that it is the authoritative word on what is right and wrong.
Please read your entire 2 bibles if you are going to quote it. If you go into it with an open mind you will finish it an agnostic at the very least. For me, I think it is unbelievable that anyone could belive it, but regardless I wouldn't want to follow a god like the one in the bible anyway.

roo-ted

NRL Player
That was in the 2nd version right? Because nothing says omnipotent, all powerful being like having to edit and re-evaluate his work, have you read the entire 2 books?.....
How have I edited his work lol. It’s one of the most notable stories in the bible. I wasn’t quoting scripture I was simply telling the story.
A lot of the verses you are talking about are in the Old Testament, meaning before Jesus sacrificed his life.

Last edited:
How have I edited his work lol. It’s one of the most notable stories in the bible. I wasn’t quoting scripture I was simply telling the story.
A lot of the verses you are talking about are in the Old Testament, meaning before Jesus sacrificed his life.
I didn't say you edited his work? Why did God need to re-do his/her own work by bring out a new testemant? Isn't he all knowing, why would his morals change?

Last edited:

roo-ted

NRL Player
I didn't say you edited his work? Why did God need to re-do his/her own work by bring out a new testemant? Isn't he all knowing, why would his morals change?
Well not to much has changed over the years, it was the people who were brutal, it wasn’t Jesus, he actually set the Israelites free who had been kept as slaves by the Egyptians. A lot changed when Jesus sacrifices himself on the cross and rose again. All slaves were to be set free and all sin was able to be forgiven though him.
I think a lot of people forget that back then things were brutal and worlds apart from what they are today.

Well not to much has changed over the years, it was the people who were brutal, it wasn’t Jesus, he actually set the Israelites free who had been kept as slaves by the Egyptians. A lot changed when Jesus sacrifices himself on the cross and rose again. All slaves were to be set free and all sin was able to be forgiven though him.
I think a lot of people forget that back then things were brutal and worlds apart from what they are today.
Exactly! Back then things were brutal and the bible reflects that. Wouldn't a book reflecting an all-knowing God's thoughts not be dependent upon the time period the book was written in?
Also, the new testemant continued to condone slavery so there goes that argument...
And just a little extra thought.. The new testemant bible was written between 50-100 years after jesus. The Romans, who were maticulous record keepers and documented nearly everything, forgot to mention someone who could perform these miracles and came back to life? Either these prophets were a dime-a-dozen in those days and he was nothing special, or he simply didn't exist and people compiled a book 50 years later based of the old testemant but with the word love in it a bit more. Additionally, why did God choose to only come forth in the middle East? China was much more progressed at the time. Why were they condemned to an eternity in hell (which is often cited by religious people but it is hardly mentioned in the new testament) when they weren't even aware of this option, so they were (like many still are) going to hell because of where they were born?

roo-ted

NRL Player
Exactly! Back then things were brutal and the bible reflects that. Wouldn't a book reflecting an all-knowing God's thoughts not be dependent upon the time period the book was written in?
Also, the new testemant continued to condone slavery so there goes that argument...
And just a little extra thought.. The new testemant bible was written between 50-100 years after jesus. The Romans, who were maticulous record keepers and documented nearly everything, forgot to mention someone who could perform these miracles and came back to life? Either these prophets were a dime-a-dozen in those days and he was nothing special, or he simply didn't exist and people compiled a book 50 years later based of the old testemant but with the word love in it a bit more. Additionally, why did God choose to only come forth in the middle East? China was much more progressed at the time. Why were they condemned to an eternity in hell (which is often cited by religious people but it is hardly mentioned in the new testament) when they weren't even aware of this option, so they were (like many still are) going to hell because of where they were born?
Everyone is entitled to go to heaven he just asks that you ask for forgiveness and believe that he died on the cross and rose again. He says go into all the word and preach his gospel, so it doesn’t really matter where the gospel was written. God has given people free will to do as they wish. As far as people going to hell thats not something I’m willing to get into with you as it’s not for me to say who goes to hell or not. You seem pretty interested in the bible e even if you are critical about it. If you get ready now you might make church! I suggest going to and Christian Outreach Centre or a City Point church

Everyone is entitled to go to heaven he just asks that you ask for forgiveness and believe that he died on the cross and rose again. He says go into all the word and preach his gospel, so it doesn’t really matter where the gospel was written. God has given people free will to do as they wish. As far as people going to hell thats not something I’m willing to get into with you as it’s not for me to say who goes to hell or not. You seem pretty interested in the bible e even if you are critical about it. If you get ready now you might make church! I suggest going to and Christian Outreach Centre or a City Point church
We have been given free will by him (Ps if you use that free will to choose to not believe in me despite all the evidence contradicting me I will burn you for eternity in hell...)
I'm guessing you love mother Theresa too. Do your research on here as well. Thousands of people died due to this "Saint", people who would have lived with basic medical care were told and encouraged by her facilities that suffering in their "final" days will bring them closer to God. And those millions of Africans dying of aids that could have been saved by wearing a condom but instead were told it was a sin and given a bloody Bible instead. If you want to claim the good (and there are good Christian people just as there are bad ones) you must take ownership of the atrocities religion has facilitated as well. And there are much more of them. Even I. S (better known as isis) does charity work, does that condone their suicide bombings?
I do know the bible.... That's why I'm an atheist... Unfortunately most people who "follow" the bible haven't read anything more than their parish/priest has given them. There was a reason that the church was originally against its translation from Latin, even they thought "if they know what they are reading there's no way theyd follow this"

roo-ted

NRL Player
We have been given free will by him (Ps if you use that free will to choose to not believe in me despite all the evidence contradicting me I will burn you for eternity in hell...)
I'm guessing you love mother Theresa too. Do your research on here as well. Thousands of people died due to this "Saint", people who would have lived with basic medical care were told and encouraged by her facilities that suffering in their "final" days will bring them closer to God. And those millions of Africans dying of aids that could have been saved by wearing a condom but instead were told it was a sin and given a bloody Bible instead. If you want to claim the good (and there are good Christian people just as there are bad ones) you must take ownership of the atrocities religion has facilitated as well. And there are much more of them. Even I. S (better known as isis) does charity work, does that condone their suicide bombings?
I do know the bible.... That's why I'm an atheist... Unfortunately most people who "follow" the bible haven't read anything more than their parish/priest has given them. There was a reason that the church was originally against its translation from Latin, even they thought "if they know what they are reading there's no way theyd follow this"
You’ve got some valid points and I respect that way you have put your point across without being an ass. Religion is an old school method which my church doesn’t practice. The teachings in my Church is about having a personal relationship with God. Religion is controversial and can be damaging, I agree with you there.
Luckily we live in a country where we can have different beliefs or opinions and it’s alright.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.