Religion and Politics

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
I have repeatedly said that I at least aspire to live by his teachings because they are backed up with science. To which I have also posted the evidence. If he was The Son Of God or not, he was a very important historical figure.
There is no science behind the alleged teachings. Slaves, obey your masters?

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
What, is there a God? The answer is we don't know. But my answer is also is that it doesn't matter.
Right. So you now are an atheist. The atheist position is again 'there is insufficient evidence to warrant belief' and as you agree with that you are an atheist. The atheist position is, generally speaking ' we don't know and there is insufficient evidence to warrant belief '. That is you. Welcome to the club.

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
What, is there a God? The answer is we don't know. But my answer is also is that it doesn't matter.
The atheist position is NOT 'there is no god'. We don't know is acceptable. So in reality you are an atheist, you just don't know it.

Unless of course you believe there is a god? If you do then you believe something without sufficient evidence like my friend.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
There is no science behind the alleged teachings. Slaves, obey your masters?
There is a huge amount of evidence behind his teachings. Taking small snippets out of context and claiming it as a way of invalidating everything else is the exact same technique used by climate change deniers.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
The atheist position is NOT 'there is no god'. We don't know is acceptable. So in reality you are an atheist, you just don't know it.

Unless of course you believe there is a god? If you do then you believe something without sufficient evidence like my friend.
As far as I was aware, agnostics believe that there is insufficient evidence to make a definitive claim either way, and possibly could never know.

Atheists believe there is no God. How they come to that conclusion is irrelevant.

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
As far as I was aware, agnostics believe that there is insufficient evidence to make a definitive claim either way, and possibly could never know.

Atheists believe there is no God. How they come to that conclusion is irrelevant.
Huh? Atheists believe there is no god ?
Now we know why you have so many problems!!

You fundamentally misunderstand the atheist position!!!

Once again: atheism is the rejection of the claim 'there is a god'.
Atheism is not the claim 'there is no god'

Is that clear enough? I thought you were intelligent enough to grasp this. SOME atheists claim there is no god but we can't know this and therefore do not claim certainty.

You claim uncertainty,as you say
you don't know but you do know that there's insufficient evidence to warrant belief. I think you believe there is a god.

So, do you believe there is a god? It's a yes or no question. I'm not asking if you know because we already accept you cannot know.

So, yes or no?

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Do I believe God exists? My answer changes almost daily. I can understand why people can believe either way.

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
Do I believe God exists? My answer changes almost daily. I can understand why people can believe either way.
I understand people believe. So, you don't believe there is definitely a god. You're an atheist some of the time.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Correct, it's not an assertion that there is no god. Rejection of the claim. Disbelief.
I'm sorry, are we reading two different things? It's not a rejection of the claim there is a God. It is the belief that there is no God. They are two very different things.

Yes, on some days you could pigeonhole me as an atheist.

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
I'm sorry, are we reading two different things? It's not a rejection of the claim there is a God. It is the belief that there is no God. They are two very different things.

Yes, on some days you could pigeonhole me as an atheist.
Errrr, ha ha ha🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
No, we are not reading two different things. We are reading the exact same thing only you don't appear to understand it. Not believing a god exists IS NOT THE SAME THING as asserting that no god exists!!

How is that hard for you to understand? No wonder no one can have a rational debate with you if that fundamental difference is too complex for you to grasp.

Alec

International Rep
Isn't that agnosticism?

Edit: Nevermind, Morkel already mentioned it.

Last edited:

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
Isn't that agnosticism?

Edit: Nevermind, Morkel already mentioned it.
I don't know is itself an acceptable answer to a question. I think it helps further a discussion if everyone agrees on the terminology. Every contributor on the same page.

Morkel was under the misapprehension that atheism was the position that there is no god. For myself I cannot make this claim. That said there is no evidence to suggest there is one and due to this absence I don't believe any god or gods have ever existed.

Agnosticism is too wishy washy for me. However the dictionary definition of agnosticism available on the net has elements I agree with.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
It even says on that google search or lack of belief.

Instead of saying "I believe there is no god"

One says "I don't have a belief in a god".

Does all this come back to Morkel explaining 'atheist propaganda' or what?

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
It even says on that google search or lack of belief.

Instead of saying "I believe there is no god"

One says "I don't have a belief in a god".

Does all this come back to Morkel explaining 'atheist propaganda' or what?
No, Morkel didn't explain what constitutes 'atheist propaganda'. Morkel has a series of false beliefs and has never researched and understood the topic. I was surprised to learn he didn't even have a basic understanding.

He apparently believes atheism means people who claim there is no god. Further he seems to think atheists all believe the same thing, are part of an organised and structured body and there is an atheist dogma or defined teachings. He simply hasn't done his research.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
No, Morkel didn't explain what constitutes 'atheist propaganda'. Morkel has a series of false beliefs and has never researched and understood the topic. I was surprised to learn he didn't even have a basic understanding.

He apparently believes atheism means people who claim there is no god. Further he seems to think atheists all believe the same thing, are part of an organised and structured body and there is an atheist dogma or defined teachings. He simply hasn't done his research.
Actually, I have explained what constitutes atheist propaganda, just as I have repeatedly answered the question on whether God exists. I'd thank you not to lie.

You are constantly making claims of what I believe, my motivations, that are completely untrue, even though I have clearly spelled out what they are in this very thread. You proclaim how I live, how I father my children, with zero knowledge on the subject. And you have done the same with an unknown footballer to which you can't possibly have any information about. So tell me, where are you getting your information from?

Broncapz

NRL Player
atheist propaganda
This made me cringe as much as the term "Leftist conspiracy".

Your choice of God isn't a divine revalation. It's an accident based on where you were born and the culture you were born into. If you were born 2.5k away you would be a devout muslim or hindu.... or were you SOOOO lucky that you managed to pick the right denomination worshipping the correct God. That's pretty lucky!

Making what we know about the natural world and history fit into the claims the Bible makes, is like fitting a fat man into a baby bath.

Broncapz

NRL Player
Here's the thing about not knowing if there is a God.

We cannot disprove a God exists.

There is more evidence of a God that doesn't give a shit, then a loving God IF such a powerful entity does exist. Far far more evidence in that direction.

At that point, it doesn't matter if there is a God or not. He's left us here to our own devices, so let's try and acknowledge our shared humanity and get the job done without him.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nerd

Twitter