Religion and Politics

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun
At the end of the day, you're still choosing one mans word over another. Remove the emotion, that's where we are at.

If this was a small timer with no backing, the money involved to secure your freedom is out of the reach of many.
No I'm not. I choose to take circumstantial, testimonial and other evidence into account. In this case it weighs enough to remove my doubt.

I understand a court cannot do that because it's too difficult to write laws which can discern credible evidence from coincidental, malicious, or otherwise false evidence. It would have to be evaluated on a case to case basis...
I also believe there are too many technical loopholes criminals can skate through in our justice system, but I don't think it will ever be possible to punish every guilty person without innocents becoming collateral victims.

lynx000

NRL Captain
Waiting to win lotto
What was the appeal based on? Did he skate on some technicality?

Given human justice failed, should the biblical eye for an eye principle be applied here?

I am angry at this, really angry!
I was surprised he got convicted on what I read about the evidence. The High Court decision is no surprise to me.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
No I'm not. I choose to take circumstantial, testimonial and other evidence into account. In this case it weighs enough to remove my doubt.

I understand a court cannot do that because it's too difficult to write laws which can discern credible evidence from coincidental, malicious, or otherwise false evidence. It would have to be evaluated on a case to case basis...
I also believe there are too many technical loopholes criminals can skate through in our justice system, but I don't think it will ever be possible to punish every guilty person without innocents becoming collateral victims.
Yeah. The evidence and testimony of one man. You can say what you like. This case was one man vs another man.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Correct. And a jury should stop reading into that right there too.
So because old mate necked himself, there’s no need to look into his case? I’m sure his father sees it differently, especially after two juries have already found him guilty.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
So because old mate necked himself, there’s no need to look into his case? I’m sure his father sees it differently, especially after two juries have already found him guilty.
Is someone killing themselves and others saying it was because of X enough to put someone away? I don't think so.

And the High Court found that those juries were wrong to not have any doubt in this case.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Is someone killing themselves and others saying it was because of X enough to put someone away? I don't think so.

And the High Court found that those juries were wrong to not have any doubt in this case.
I gotta admit, your level-headedness in such an emotionally charged situation is to be admired. I can help but get caught up in the ‘feeling’ of it all.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I gotta admit, your level-headedness in such an emotionally charged situation is to be admired. I can help but get caught up in the ‘feeling’ of it all.
Everyone deserves a fair trial. Even the sickest people in the world.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
My issue is that with so many people in the world that don’t get a fair trial, why did it have to be this **** that did.
Because he had money and backing. That's the big concern with something going this far up the chain, only to be overturned. How many innocent people are in prison on flimsy ass evidence, who can't afford the fight?

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Gold Coast
I'm not saying he's not done anything wrong. He could have. On the other side of it, he might not have. That's the doubt. He really should have never been in this position, but prosecutors are hellbent on putting people before the courts no matter the evidence.
TBH mate I didn't think you were and I'm not saying he did it either and I'm for a system of innocent before being proven guilty, on the flipside being found not guilty doesn't mean your actually found innocent outright either, it just means the prosecution hasn't met their burden of proof, people often make the mistake there. There have been many instances where the evidence for such events has been overwhelming, but the accused has got off on technicalities.

Last edited:

lynx000

NRL Captain
Waiting to win lotto
Because the other guy killed himself.
My understanding, which may be flawed, is that the other party denied that the incident occurred as alleged by the complainant. Now, that does not mean that it did not happen, as we know because sexual assault victims quite often do not complain, but there was in fact no corroboration from the other alleged victim as far as I know.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
So may as well give the green-light to rape and commit paedophilia if you're rich, as long as you're not dumb enough to do it with cameras around, it's all sweet.

You can say it's he said / she said but that's the entire point of a jury.

You have to be able to convince 12 complete strangers from different walks of life, beyond any reasonable doubt that your story / your allegation is true. Do you know how hard it is to maintain a lie over years of questioning, interrogations by professionals who will find the smallest weak point in your story and have you question your own sanity? You can't convince half of them either, every single one of the 12 need to be convinced beyond reasonable doubt.

The claimant convinced a jury of 12 people, which was later appealed and two seniors judges agreed with the jury with one disagreeing.

Then it goes to the high court and it gets completely thrown out. So the jury was wrong and so were the senior judges in the court of appeal.

That stinks of corruption and makes a mockery of the jury and the entire justice system really. If you've got enough money you'll get out of any case that's not a clear cut crime with tangible evidence.

Last edited:

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
So may as well give the green-light to rape and commit paedophilia if you're rich, as long as you're not dumb enough to do it with cameras around, it's all sweet.

You can say it's he said / she said but that's the entire point of a jury.

You have to be able to convince 12 complete strangers from different walks of life, beyond any reasonable doubt that your story / your allegation is true. Do you know how hard it is to maintain a lie over years of questioning, interrogations by professionals who will find the smallest weak point in your story and have you question your own sanity? You can't convince half of them either, every single one of the 12 need to be convinced beyond reasonable doubt.

The claimant convinced a jury of 12 people, which was later appealed and two seniors judges agreed with the jury with one disagreeing.

Then it goes to the high court and it gets completely thrown out. So the jury was wrong and so were the senior judges in the court of appeal.

That stinks of corruption and makes a mockery of the jury and the entire justice system really. If you've got enough money you'll get out of any case that's not a clear cut crime with tangible evidence.
Unfortunately this was given the green light long, long ago.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Men, put yourself in his shoes.

Some guy who hates you has accused you of a filthy terrible crime, and 3 of his mates back him.

You're going to prison. Fair cop since you didn't do it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulietaRai

Members online

Twitter