Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

Renouf: The tough decisions Broncos must now make

Renouf: The tough decisions Broncos must now make

Steve Renouf
NRL.com
Mon 16 Sep 2019, 03:25 PM

Darius Boyd: retire early, job at the club

It is time for the Broncos to hold players and staff accountable after Sunday’s capitulation to the Eels and that should start with a tough conversation with captain Darius Boyd about retiring early and transitioning into a job at the club. Everything should be on the table after the club’s 58-0 defeat in the elimination final, the worst in the Broncos' proud history.

Milford: another club

I also think it is time for Anthony Milford to reboot his career at another club and it will be up to the Broncos to facilitate that in the off-season. I was watching Sunday’s game and getting texts from my family. Towards the end I got a text from my sister and nephew asking "are you embarrassed?" I am not involved at the club anymore but I am a really proud Bronco and I want to see the club do well.

go after a marquee five-eighth

That performance was so disappointing because there was no reaction from the players to what was unfolding. There was nothing. The club must go after a marquee five-eighth. I think Tom Dearden could make a good halfback but it is as if the Broncos haven’t planned for this moment. They shed Kodi Nikorima, who was the best halfback we had, but there was no solution to that.

Darius: two steps behind

The club showed they had no faith in the other halves on the books because they brought Darius in there from fullback. It doesn’t make sense. Darius is captain and it would have been a joint decision. If he didn’t want to do it he would have said so, but it is just an age thing with him. He is two steps behind and it won’t matter if he trains a whole off-season there, he isn’t going to get any better.

club must make call on Darius

I know he has tried, and he tried on Sunday, but you can’t hide from what happened. Several weeks ago I wrote that Darius had shown character with the way he had handled being asked to change position so late in his career, but Sunday is going to change what happens at Red Hill in the next few months, and so it should. I know Darius is on contract for two more years. I don’t think he will make the call. He has been a great player for the Broncos but it is time for the club to make the call – whether that be the CEO, the board or the coach.

Milford to Titans?

Darren Lockyer sits on the board and on the recruitment and retention committee. Locky is smart and I’m sure he can see what needs to happen. Darius has done great work in the mental health sphere so let him head that up at the club in the welfare department. It wouldn’t hurt for Milford to look for a new club to reboot his career. We love Milf to bits. He is a nice kid, but when is he going to step up? Is he just comfortable being on a lucrative contract each year? We seem to be having these conversations about him too often. His kicking game was terrible against the Eels. He had no penetration and he was caught out of position. If he wants to stay living in Brisbane then maybe a deal can be struck with the Gold Coast Titans.

can't play blokes out of position

Wayne Bennett used to let players go for their own good and they have often become better players. A lesson from this entire season, and it need to be taken on board, is the Broncos can no longer play blokes out of position. Alex Glenn is a back-rower, not a centre. He looked out of place and got caught out. Alex does a lot of hard work and is a club legend but he didn’t look likely. I felt sorry for him having to handle Waqa Blake and Blake Ferguson. I would have been intimidated by that myself.

Turpin in, McCullough out

It is time for Jake Turpin to play at hooker. He has played nice and tough but he is not a halfback. If he is staying at the club he needs to play in the No.9 jersey. Andrew McCullough has been persevered with but you can’t have Turpin and McCullough in the same team.

Seibold: five years too long

Anthony Seibold has spoken about having a review from top to bottom. Everyone needs to be held accountable. The question has to be asked: Who is making all these decisions? A five-year deal for Seibold was too long. What smart administration does that? It should have been three years. I spoke about that when it first happened. Seibs has overall done a good job to get them to the top eight after their start but the only person happy about the five-year deal is Seibs. I don’t know anyone else who is.

review of coaching staff needed

There needs to be a review of the coaching staff under Seibold as well. I know he is an Old Boy and his heart is with the club but he needs more credentialed help. After a performance like Sunday someone in the top echelons has to fall on their sword, or be told to.

no support from halves or outside backs

The problem with the team is they play as individuals. Payne Haas and David Fifita have been two success stories but they have lacked support. Haas was the best player for Brisbane again on Sunday, but he went on some great runs and was left all alone. There was no support from his halves or outside backs. Where were they? They were all sitting back as if to say "you go Payne". We see David Fifita doing the same on the other side but no one reacts. These guys need to realise the Brisbane premiership sides of the past were real teams. We had some outstanding players, yes, but everything we achieved was on the back of teamwork.

lacks cohesion
It is clear this side lacks cohesion and the teamwork required to go to the next level. It should come naturally. Kotoni Staggs once again played his heart out and I love what he does. He is tough and he is always competing. The challenge for the Broncos is to make sure they have an entire squad with that mentality, because right now they don’t.

Last edited:
I wonder if there will be other public calls for Milford to leave? Mixed feeling on this one.

I agree with the Milf call. For whatever reason, he isn’t producing here. Could be good for both parties for him to seek a fresh start elsewhere.

I posted this yesterday.
Didn't see it, sorry.
[automerge]1568674746[/automerge]
I agree with the Milf call. For whatever reason, he isn’t producing here. Could be good for both parties for him to seek a fresh start elsewhere.
Yep, been saying this for some time. He's not the player we need. Another club should snap him up.

Last edited:
With ideas like that, Pearl for assistant coach

We need to model ourselves after the Patriots.

If Tom Brady starts playing like shit, they're not keeping him on for another season yet alone two. At the moment it feels like we're just trying to be a happy fairy tale retirement farm for the old boys (Thaiday/Boyd/Macca)

Also we should buy shares in a Super League club, so we can buy the shit players who we signed for too long off ourselves.

Last edited:

Active Now

• eggstar10
  • Rookie Alan
  • Porthoz
  • sooticus
  • broncos4life
  • Manifesto
  • Jazza
  • Galah
  • broncoscope
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • Financeguy
  • GCBRONCO
  • KateBroncos1812
  • armchair
  • Fatboy
  • HVbronco
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.