Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Haasp 190502 gt 207

Repentant Haas vows to be 'more professional'

May 8, 2019

Broncos behemoth Payne Haas says the pressure he was under has eased now that a four-week suspension is behind him, but he has vowed to be "more professional" after failing to co-operate fully with the NRL Integrity Unit in the pre-season.

The 19-year-old prop was forced to sit out the opening four rounds of the season and fined $20,000 after he was suspended by Brisbane for not being forthcoming with the NRL Integrity Unit’s investigation into an off-field incident involving his family.

Haas has since appeared in court on charges of unlicensed driving and using a mobile phone while driving.

Off the field has been a battle for Haas, but on it he has been thriving.

He won the coach’s award and player’s player in consecutive weeks in his first two games back from suspension against the Wests Tigers and Canberra and has been Brisbane’s most consistent performed over the past four rounds, averaging 152 metres and 37 tackles per game.

When suspending Haas, Brisbane CEO Paul White acknowledged the "competing priorities" the teenager faced between his family’s interest and desires and that of the game, but insisted the Broncos also had a duty to protect the reputation of the game.

Haas acknowledged on Monday that, while young, he was not above the game. He gave credit to coach Anthony Seibold for guiding him through a tough period.

"I just have to be more professional," Haas said.

"I am a professional athlete … and the first thing [I learned] is [about] talking to people and not putting myself in situations like that.

"It was pretty hard but I had good people around me. It is a good environment at the Broncos.

"Anthony was pretty good. He spoke to me every day to see if I was alright. I’m just glad he had my back. All the pressure is off my shoulders now and it feels pretty good. I can just focus on what I love."

When Haas signed a six-year deal through to the end of 2024 last year former coach Wayne Bennett told NRL.com there was “no risk factor” due to Haas’s immense potential.

The expectations on Haas are huge but he welcomed the pressure, despite the side’s 13th placing on the ladder and scrutiny on his own performance each week.

"I don’t feel pressure. That is just a part of my job," Haas said.

"Pressure comes with being in a team like the Brisbane Broncos. It is not a bad feeling. It is good.

"There is a lot of outside noise but we have our little bubble here. As long as we keep it in our bubble and stay strong together I think things will turn."

Haas’s failings have cost Brisbane, a fact noted by Seibold recently when pointing to his costly missed tackles on Michael Chee Kam and John Bateman in consecutive weeks against the Tigers and Raiders.

"There are a few things I can be better at," Haas said.

"I need to work on my little effort areas. I have a lot to improve on."

Haas has already been named in the Emerging Blues squad and has put himself in the frame for Origin selection if not for this year then down the track.

Former Broncos and Maroons prop Petero Civoniceva was asked at a promotion for Magic Round whether Haas was ready for the Origin arena.

"When are you ready? He has already shown he is up to NRL standard and the amount of minutes he is playing against very experienced forward packs there is no doubt he wouldn’t look out of place in a State of Origin jersey," he said.

"Obviously I am a proud Queenslander, but for him as an individual I think he has been fantastic and his name needs to be in there."

Source: NRL.com

I think it's been criminally under-reported how this kid in like his 5th ever NRL game, at 18 years old, played the full 80 at prop.

I suspect when he's the best forward in a game it'll be brought up in "remember when" discussion, but it's a big thing now.

Haas has got so much potential it's actually incredible. This kid can be anything. At 19 he's already got a big motor, great footwork at the line, carrys 2 or 3 forwards on his back and can only get better with age and experience.

This kid is the future leader of our pack. We cannot lose him under any circumstances. Our only shining light thus far in a shit house season.

Haas has got so much potential it's actually incredible. This kid can be anything. At 19 he's already got a big motor, great footwork at the line, carrys 2 or 3 forwards on his back and can only get better with age and experience.

This kid is the future leader of our pack. We cannot lose him under any circumstances. Our only shining light thus far in a shit house season.
100% agree.
I was a little concerned with his off field shit earlier this year. But for a kid who has obviously been raised under questionable circumstances, he's publicly responded with heart & maturity & is playing extremely well.

I'd be telling him that if he keeps his nose clean & continues to grow as a player, he'll be co-captain next year. Also that when Boyds contract ends, the Broncos captaincy is his for the rest of his career.

Credit to Haas, his form has been very good and something that you would expect of a player more mature.

Well done to him if he can learn from his mistakes and keep his off field clean. This will ultimately be the difference between a good and great player that he can be years later.

Active Now

• Battler
  • Stix
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Mustafur
  • Johnny92
  • Sproj
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • jd87
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Morkel
  • BRC088
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.