Reserve Grade

Im not going to lie here, I like the 20s. I would rather watch prospects have a run around than watch reserve grade with players that a 34, no hope of ever making the NRL, but still trot out week in week out. I think the ISC & NSW Cup are good enough for players that don't make first grade from the 20s

Im not going to lie here, I like the 20s. I would rather watch prospects have a run around than watch reserve grade with players that a 34, no hope of ever making the NRL, but still trot out week in week out. I think the ISC & NSW Cup are good enough for players that don't make first grade from the 20s

You see plenty of those in the 20s.

In fact a lot of them aren't good enough to play QCup.

Addison Demetriou was one of the star players for Manly in 2015. How many ISC games did he play last year?

When those 20's get dropped very few if any go play ISC they go and play Colts. They can't make ISC sides. Really ISC is full of 34 year olds?

That's a silly statement.

Within that statement is some truth, the strength of the ISC is Joe playing against Petero.

The NYC needs to be replaced by something. I still don't think it benefits the Broncos by having our 2nd string players running around for 32 different teams in the ISC. I also think it would be hard for them to force Wayne's hand to select them by playing with other players they don't train with very often. Especially the halves and backs.

The NYC needs to be replaced by something.

It is being replaced by two state-based Under 20s competitions. It could actually be better for the Broncos, as they'll no longer be restricted to a set 17 and will give players an opportunity to prove themselves in that format. Meanwhile the better players will have a stronger relationship with their affiliate clubs and will be promoted into first grade instead of the current system where often they'd just be thrusted on the clubs.

There's pros and cons to the Broncos current arrangement, but given how well Melbourne and North Queensland have performed, I don't think having one dedicated reserve grade side makes a big difference.

When Toowoomba played before the Broncos, you could fire a gun and not hit anyone.

Broncos don't make anything off food and drink, they just need people through the gate. Are Blackhawks going to move a game to Lang Park and make that money back?
So just to be clear. You are opposed to players who are paid by the Broncos playing for the Broncos in front of their fans. You want them spread around the ISC propping up the quality and interest in that competition.
You also don't want the ISC moving a lousy 12 games out of the whole competition to the best rugby league stadium in the world to entertain Bronco fans.
Your plan is for Bronco fans who largely bankroll the game in Queensland to get less bang for their buck and just suck it up.

When those 20's get dropped very few if any go play ISC they go and play Colts. They can't make ISC sides. Really ISC is full of 34 year olds?

That's a silly statement.

Within that statement is some truth, the strength of the ISC is Joe playing against Petero.

20s is purely for junior development with an eye for first grade. ISC/NSW Cup is for all the players not good enough to make it to first grade but good enough to still be in Sydney. By the time they are 20, you can normally figure out if they are making first grade. Sure you get some rare exceptions, but a bulk of the NRL players today have graduated from the 20s to the NRL.

Once again, I am not ragging on the ISC/NSW cup, I'm just saying the 20s has its merits. Its a great filler for pre game entertainment (for both teams playing) & provides decent pathways for kids looking to jump to the NRL. Also helps build the hype of young kids coming through as well.

So just to be clear. You are opposed to players who are paid by the Broncos playing for the Broncos in front of their fans. You want them spread around the ISC propping up the quality and interest in that competition.
You also don't want the ISC moving a lousy 12 games out of the whole competition to the best rugby league stadium in the world to entertain Bronco fans.
Your plan is for Bronco fans who largely bankroll the game in Queensland to get less bang for their buck and just suck it up.

Why would the Pride move a game to Brisbane? To help Broncos' fans enjoy their Friday night? A Cowboys' feeder team moving 1000km for the Broncos and lose a home game and allow their opposition to travel 10 minutes up the road while the Pride have to fly down here.

I am against the dismantling of the ISC for no other reason then- well I might go watch the Broncos reserve grade before the Broncos- maybe not but it'd be real convenient if it was on.

Largely bankroll- you heard of the QRL who run the game in Queensland and have Origin?

20s is purely for junior development with an eye for first grade. ISC/NSW Cup is for all the players not good enough to make it to first grade but good enough to still be in Sydney. By the time they are 20, you can normally figure out if they are making first grade. Sure you get some rare exceptions, but a bulk of the NRL players today have graduated from the 20s to the NRL.

Once again, I am not ragging on the ISC/NSW cup, I'm just saying the 20s has its merits. Its a great filler for pre game entertainment (for both teams playing) & provides decent pathways for kids looking to jump to the NRL. Also helps build the hype of young kids coming through as well.

Figures don't back that up at all.

10% just two a club were graduating to NRL.

Why would the Pride move a game to Brisbane? To help Broncos' fans enjoy their Friday night? A Cowboys' feeder team moving 1000km for the Broncos and lose a home game and allow their opposition to travel 10 minutes up the road while the Pride have to fly down here.

I am against the dismantling of the ISC for no other reason then- well I might go watch the Broncos reserve grade before the Broncos- maybe not but it'd be real convenient if it was on.

Largely bankroll- you heard of the QRL who run the game in Queensland and have Origin?
You are nit picking. It doesn't have to be a team that would have to travel so far. I was pretty clear that I wanted a good game of football. It didn't have to be a game that would be a logistical nightmare and moving 12 games would hardly dismantle the competition. It would just be a way for them to give back. I would also be very careful about taking advantage of the Broncos fans. If they stop spending the game will be in trouble.

Figures don't back that up at all.

10% just two a club were graduating to NRL.

You cant have every junior graduate. There are 400 players that play 20s every year and the same as there are 400 in the NRL. Getting the top 10% of that age group is a good step. The other 90% either flow out to the bush or ISC/NSW cup. You cant sustain them all.

You're being unnecessarily alarmist.

Firstly, playing 12 games a season at Lang Park is hardly dismantling the competition

and it is not like the Pride don't play in Brisbane on a regular basis ... he'll they can play one of their AWAY games at Lang Park as the curtain raiser for a Broncos vs Cowboys clash.

the idea certainly has some merit IMO, and it may even get some more people interested in the ISC.

You are nit picking. It doesn't have to be a team that would have to travel so far. I was pretty clear that I wanted a good game of football. It didn't have to be a game that would be a logistical nightmare and moving 12 games would hardly dismantle the competition. It would just be a way for them to give back. I would also be very careful about taking advantage of the Broncos fans. If they stop spending the game will be in trouble.

How many do you reckon rock up for the 20s though?

I always make a point of getting bang for my buck but there's been weeks where there's maybe only been a few hundred 'watching' the 20s.

Even then, I'd question how many of them are paying attention or really care outside of the big hits or the length of the field tries.

You cant have every junior graduate. There are 400 players that play 20s every year and the same as there are 400 in the NRL. Getting the top 10% of that age group is a good step. The other 90% either flow out to the bush or ISC/NSW cup. You cant sustain them all.

You said the bulk of NRL came from the 20's. They didn't 10% is not the bulk.

Moving a game wouldn't dismantle the competition. Taking all the players away from their club would. Players to stock 16 reserve grade teams are going to come from somewhere?

You can't have the ISC and an NRL reserve, something has to give.

How many do you reckon rock up for the 20s though?

I always make a point of getting bang for my buck but there's been weeks where there's maybe only been a few hundred 'watching' the 20s.

Even then, I'd question how many of them are paying attention or really care outside of the big hits or the length of the field tries.
I do. Also the members bar is pretty packed around the monitors. How many go to the games at the suburban grounds?

You're being unnecessarily alarmist.

Firstly, playing 12 games a season at Lang Park is hardly dismantling the competition

and it is not like the Pride don't play in Brisbane on a regular basis ... he'll they can play one of their AWAY games at Lang Park as the curtain raiser for a Broncos vs Cowboys clash.

the idea certainly has some merit IMO, and it may even get some more people interested in the ISC.

What is the gain for the ISC? I still not clear what this achieves you can go watch Pride v Norths on Sunday anyway for half the price and sit on grass and have a great afternoon.

I do. Also the members bar is pretty packed around the monitors. How many go to the games at the suburban grounds?

In some cases thousands and they specifically pay to see that game.

The NYC has always been filler and has never been a draw.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Wild Horse
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Alec
  • Fitzy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Manofoneway
  • Santa
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.