"Residents" rule change

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Queensland Rugby League has approved a key change to the XXXX Queensland Residents selection criteria, with this year’s team to be picked on State of Origin eligibility instead of the previous ‘residents’ basis.

This shift is in line with the QRL’s strategic focus, aimed at increasing the number of Queensland eligible players in the National Rugby League.

It effectively means there will be a change to the name of the state representative team, with the QRL currently exploring new branding options.

The alignment to Origin eligibility is supported by Queensland Maroons head coach Kevin Walters, as well as the QRL’s Pathways and Performance Committee.

Other key points:

• State selectors can pick Queensland eligible players involved in both the Intrust Super Cup and the NSW Canterbury Cup
  • The New South Wales Rugby League will select solely from the Canterbury Cup, however both states will select in accordance with workload and balance
  • The representative fixture is scheduled to be played at ANZ Stadium on June 21, before Game II of the Holden State of Origin series
This change in approach will be supported by the appointment of a new Queensland coach with further details to be announced in due course.

The QRL thanks Jon Buchanan for his outstanding services over the past three years with the XXXX Queensland Residents team and wish him well with his current club coaching commitments in 2020.
[automerge]1581643538[/automerge]
So 'Residents' will now be 'Origin' but only for Queensland, Blues are still just going to pick from Canterbury Cup.

Which means someone like Sam Walker if he's playing for North Sydney can play for Queensland but Cooper Johns can't play for anyone.

Last edited:
So 'Residents' will now be 'Origin' but only for Queensland, Blues are still just going to pick from Canterbury Cup.

can the QRL just say to the NSWRL " we're going to pick from both comps ... but you can only pick from your"

**** NSW ... but that seems bizarre to me

That’s pretty bloody stupid IMO.

That's their choice.
[automerge]1581644421[/automerge]
can the QRL just say to the NSWRL " we're going to pick from both comps ... but you can only pick from your"

**** NSW ... but that seems bizarre to me

QRL aren't making them do anything, they're making the choice to stick with just their competition.

Last edited:
So NSW are effectively telling their players not to play in the QCup if they want rep jerseys.

Might be a little of that but it's hardly Johns' fault that the Storm align with the ISC.

I would suspect that they've looked at who is the NSW Cup and gone we will be right, we have lots of players or clubs have said reward us not the ISC.

So NSW are effectively telling their players not to play in the QCup if they want rep jerseys.
Hardly anyone seems to care all that much about this contest, especially in NSW, which is a massive shame really.

I really like it as an opportunity to see some of the better players in the comp play at a higher level.
I love it too, I think it was a good initiative before and should continue to be a good one going forward with the new rules too.

Just a shame that it doesn't seem to hold much interest with the majority of League fans presently.

Hardly anyone seems to care all that much about this contest, especially in NSW, which is a massive shame really.

They're great games and for a lot of guys it's their only rep jumper or chance to play on Origin night.

It brings players into the light too- O'Sullivan was outstanding in 2018 and then got interest from the Broncos.

Not saying it’s John’s fault, but it might help to influence players like him to sign with NSW affiliated clubs in the future.

Might be the thinking but it's pretty backwards because honestly a young kid has a chance to sign with Storm- he's taking it. He's not thinking better sign with Tigers so I can play Residents.

A Storm player turned down a Queensland Residents jumper last year- I am a blue thanks.

They're great games and for a lot of guys it's their only rep jumper or chance to play on Origin night.

It brings players into the light too- O'Sullivan was outstanding in 2018 and then got interest from the Broncos.
Yep, couldn't agree more. I can only imagine how exciting it must be to get to play in a Maroon jumper on Origin night, even if it isn't the main game.

It's an inherent part of the wider problem overall of minimal interest from most fans for grassroots footy outside of the NRL, which is a huge shame. Without the local clubs below the NRL and the players who play for them that won't ever go on to play NRL, there would probably be no NRL.

Might be the thinking but it's pretty backwards because honestly a young kid has a chance to sign with Storm- he's taking it. He's not thinking better sign with Tigers so I can play Residents.

A Storm player turned down a Queensland Residents jumper last year- I am a blue thanks.
Who was that? Can't say I blame them for that sort of thinking.

Any Qld Origin-eligible players playing in the NSW comp? Does that mean they're technically eligible for both? Or are NSW picking NSW residents that are only eligible for the Blues in SOO?

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • Organix
  • ThomasovPreaf
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.